Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Minor print damage

Author Topic: Minor print damage
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2003 09:22 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Suppose my theater receives a used print and upon previewing it we discover it has a couple minor scratches for only a few seconds. We decide not to replace the reel because the damage is so small. If the next theater does want to replace the reel, would my theater get charged for the damage? Even if we don't replace the reel, should we call the distributor and let them know that we received the print like that incase the next theater does want to replace it?

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-05-2003 11:24 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are concerned about getting blamed for it, just document the damage, put it in a sealed envelope and pass it to the manager for safe keeping BEFORE you run the print. Call the booking agent and report the damage immediately. Also, date that document with the day and a time stamp along with an affixed signature. That's the way we did it in the US Navy back many years ago.

Naturally, if the print is going to get customer complaints or the damage is severe enough, get another print, and hope what you get is not any worse than what you got.

Just do what you have to do to protect yourself.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2003 02:50 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as anything like that happens I fax/e-mail relavent details to the distributer. Comes in really handy when you get called a month later with someone complaining about the condition of the print.
I use "Bitware" to fax straight from the computer, so that I now have 5 years of fax's stored on my hard drive.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-05-2003 02:52 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, that is a very good idea.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-06-2003 07:58 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if the damage is minor, and doesn't justify getting a replacement reel, you should document it in writing. If you feel the damage is sufficient to have the distributor charge you if discovered later, why aren't you requesting a replacement reel?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: