Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The Ultimate Budget 35mm Stereo Setup (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Ultimate Budget 35mm Stereo Setup
Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2003 10:40 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who want a great 35mm stereo home screening room and don't want to spend a ton of money I offer the following specs from my home system.
A pair of DeVry 12000 projectors with standard 1000W (updated) lamphouses....Kelmar stereo pickup chips straight to a Smart SR-300 dual projector processor.....out to a Pro Logic home theatre receiver...out to left, center, right, surround and a powered subwoofer speaker. The receiver is much cheaper than buying the amps. The picture is great and the sound will blow you away! Trust me..it's a great system.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-04-2003 11:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It works been done before but the SR300 is only single band NR

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-05-2003 10:15 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With CP-50's going for as low as $100 it's difficult to get too excited about anything involving an SR-300. A hundred bucks doesn't get you SR (although those were offered at $300) but even A is better than nothing. A home system's Pro Logic decoding might be decent enough but with no slit loss correction and 1/3 octave EQ I think I'd take the CP-50. Better yet spring for one with SR.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-05-2003 10:26 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a couple of months and the new processor from Smart will be ready for delivery with a street price of $1000 - 1100.00 with SR like capability....USA design, China construction like other manufacturers are doing like the QSC RMX / ISA series of amplifiers.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-05-2003 10:49 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd still put in a used CP-50 as long as the system didn't call for 5.1 in it. CP-50's still sound really good if they have all the upgrades in them. Adding an off the shelf large switching power supply in place of the original power supply is probably the best mod you can do to them. Tightly regulated supplies always comtribute to better sound in just about any audio type item, and less overall noise in the system. I have about 400.00 in my fully upgraded CP-50 with SR and type A! Lets see someone beat that deal with a new "equivelent".
Mark @ CLACO

-

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2003 12:51 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark
What are the specifics on the power supply that you used to upgrade the CP50? What is the make and model, etc.?

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2003 12:53 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also
Where did you get the cards to upgrade your CP50?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-05-2003 01:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
I will have a look see inside and see what the manufaturer of the PS card was and the model number. It is an off the shelf piece.
Got some of the cards form a guy that used to work at Premiere Seating but he is no longer there.......donno where he went to.
Mark

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2003 01:33 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, who has CP-50's for $100??? I've seen that model sell for several hundred up on Ebay. I'm going to need one pretty soon, any leads?

Danny

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-05-2003 01:48 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was based simply on perusing the offerings right here in the F-T equipment wanted and for-sale forum.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-05-2003 02:52 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regularly they go on ebay for under 300.00 as well as CP100's

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-05-2003 03:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if you do a search on the threads here, Mark listed the power supply with a link to it's spec page and everything.

Steve

PS....I believe the thread is here CP-50 power supply thread

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-05-2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve for finding that. Tried the link and its dead. I have to pull out some modules and look at the Manufacturer and model....will try to yet tonight....for now its back to the Barbecue Grill!
Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-05-2003 10:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
K dudes, here's the info on the switcher. Its a Power One model MAP110-4001. The specs are +5 Volts @ 12 Amps, +24 Volts @ 3 Amps, +12 Volts @ 1 Amp, and -12 volts @ 1 Amp. The nice thing is that AC in can be 85 to 264 volts! The 5 volt section of the supply is not used in the CP-50. So if yuo are going to go out and buy one of these go for a triple output supply with the same ratings, instead of the quad output. I got the supply as new surplus for 20 bucks. New ones are ALOT more than that but there are alot of places that sell surplus switchers, so check around. I am also posted a better photo of it with the cards removed from the main frame. An IEC cord input filter assy should also be installed at the time of Power Supply replacement. I've run this for hundreds of hours without so much as a burp from it. The other nice feature of these supplies is that they shut doen in an overload condition!!
Here is a good link to the spec page.........

http://www.power-one.com/resources/products/datasheet/map110.pdf

-

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2003 10:11 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly does the IEC cord input filter do? Also, why is it needed? Does the new power supply plug in just like the old one?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: