Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS drive Udgrade to TEAC problems (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS drive Udgrade to TEAC problems
Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2003 12:40 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Late last night I replaced the old caddy drives on my DTS 6D two drive unit and when I turned on the power I got the system light but the drives wouldn't open. I guess there is no power to the drives, I checked the power cables to the drives and there in the socket the only way they can go in due to the shape of the socket and wire bundle. I looked at the power socket for the old drives I took out and they are upside down compared to the new ones. The power supply is fairly new, and I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but I seem to remember that it was hard to wire the power supply to the older drives I had.

I guess my question is, if the power socket is upside down but the pins in the socket aren't, then I need to pull the wires from the bundle and reverse their order, right?

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-04-2003 12:50 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. Don't do that. it will realy screw things up. The plugs on the power cables are keyed to fit only one way.

By the way....where did you get the drives from? DTS uses SCSI's.

If the drives do not power up, I think you have problems elsewhere.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-04-2003 12:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sockets follow a standard layout and there is no standard whether they are mounted upside down or not
Check the ScSI ID setting the termination and the data cables
Did you install theupgrade firmware and scsi cards

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-04-2003 01:15 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon is correct.

Make sure your ID's are set properly, and make sure you are using the correct SCSI controller. Make sure the drive ribbon cable is properly terminated.

.....and be sure the ribbon cable is not plugged in backwards.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-04-2003 07:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you get an upgrade kit from DTS, or did you just go out and buy the drives? If you just bought drives, then you need the rest of the upgrade kit parts to make it work properly. The data has to be clocked down coming out of those much higher speed CD-ROM drives so the computer can crunch it. Firmware also HAS to be upgraded so it will read the TC properly. The kit comes with complete step by step instructions.
MArk @ CLACO

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2003 07:39 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I upgraded to the TEAC drives and I got them from DTS, I followed the instructions word for word and had no problems with the install. However, when I was done and turned on the power I got no power to the drives, and upon further inspection I saw that the new drives power socket is upside down compared to the old drives, so hopefully the pin order is different on the TEAC drives. Also, I re-used the old SCSI cable becasue the new one had 4 terminations (for a 6-AD).

Involved in the install were the two new CD drives, a new SCSI card and another card with the AQRM chip. I replaced the firmware chip and removed the DOS chip as instructed. What is the SCSI ID setting and how do I check it?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-06-2003 07:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just did one about 2 hours ago and it worked fine. Be sure that you don't have the SCSI cable reversed at the SCSI board as it will seem like the drives are dead. I tried various things in thinking about your problem and got it to act dead this way......Other than that, its pretty cut and dried.
Also, the new instruction as done by Film-Techer Karen Hultgren are really well done Karen!!
Mark @ CLACO

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-06-2003 07:56 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On CD drives, the SCSI ID is usually set with one or two jumpers on the back of the drive. There should be a label on the top or back of the drive which indicates which combination of jumpers will set the drive to which SCSI ID. Each drive needs to have a unique SCSI ID. I don't know if DTS has any more specific requirements. Try connecting only one drive at a time and see if it powers up.

As others have suggested, make sure that the SCSI chain is properly terminated and that the drive cables are attached properly. The power connector is standardized, so the orientation of the connector on the drive itself is irrelevant--it is designed to fit only one way and that way will provide the correct pin order.

BTW: has DTS considered using Plextor drives? They seem to make the best SCSI CD drives (and burners) on the market at this time.

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, the SCSI 1D jumpers are where the instructions indicated, I made sure of that but I wasn't sure what you meant. I put the SCSI cable on the drives and back to the board with the red wire as pin one, I don't know how I could have done that wrong, but when I go into work I will see if any of the pins are bent or are out of position. Thanks for all your help guys.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-06-2003 11:00 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure if the red wire on the drive power is +5 volts or +12 volts, but if you plugged it in backwards, (extra force is needed to do that) don't be surprised to find out you toasted your drives. I would suggest you re-install the orginal drives to make sure the entire unit still works.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-06-2003 11:17 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red / Black / Black / Yellow
+5V / 5V GND / 12V GND / +12V

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-06-2003 11:22 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Daryl

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-07-2003 04:12 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had no problems with the power connections.......that is all standard stuff, they may be 180 degrees rotated from the old connectors, but the pin out HAS to be the same.
MArk @ CLACO

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2003 07:40 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot believe that a PC power plug can be inserted upside down! You have to phisically destroy it!

And, Michael, don't worry if the connectors are upside-down, the connections inside will be the same

Bye

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2003 11:52 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

DO NOT REWIRE THE POWER!!!! You will destroy the drives.

All the drives we have used have the same power connector wiring. The power in connector is "keyed" for that reason.

Did you get installation instructions with the drives? I recently upgraded those instructions with photos. You must carefully follow each step - replacing software chips, taking boards out and putting in new ones, and installing the drives io the correct order.

It sounds to me that the DTS player is not booting. Spinning up the drives is the last step after the system has been checked (during the boot-up process). If there is something wrong with the player, the drives will not spin. The player's SYSTEM light must blink or the player is not fully booted up.

If the player didn't boot before the drives were replaced, it could be that your motherboard has died or something else is wrong. In that case, an upgrade kit won't help.

If you need the instuctions, please send me an email. If you followed the instuctions and the player will not boot, then you should send the player in for repair. You can contact me on that as well.

Thank you,

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: