Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP-500 Malfunction

Author Topic: CP-500 Malfunction
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-02-2003 02:37 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need some help on this one....the unit is about 2.5 hours away from me. I am going on what was told to me over the phone.

Movie not running:

1. Upon boot-up, the format window is completely blank, but the backlight in that window is on.
2. The fader display window is also blank.
3. The red bypass light is lit.
4. No non-sync in auditorium
5. CP-500 shuts down if the black switch behind the door is pushed.
6. Red LED's for SK1, SK2, SK-3, SK-5, SK-6, and SK-7 are all lit.
7. Mute button LED flashes at times.
8. The Formats key, Menu key, Cancel key, OK key, and Exit key have no effect when they are pressed.

When movie is running:

1. No display in format window.
2. No display in fader level window.
3. Red by-pass LED is still lit.
4. Mute LED is not lit, and does not flash
5. Error rate runs 3 to 4.
6. On several occcassions, the bypass LED extinguishes, and all sound is lost. When Bypass light illuminates, sound does restore, on the left, right, and center channels. No surrounds...

General:

It was reported to me that once in a while all 8 SK LED's are lit.

Help! any suggestions as to what I am looking at other than a sick CP-500 that might have some fried brains?

Please feel free to ask more questions...I'll call the theatre and get that information for you. I think the mother board took a dump.

Thanks - Paul.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-02-2003 03:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the powersupply regulator or the actual powersupply itself

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-02-2003 03:50 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The +15V, -15V and the +5V LED's are lit on the CAT 684 board.

I am going to have the manager reseat the CAT 684 board at the end of the show, and restart the system. I'll post the results.

Edit:
Ken Layton just reported to me that water from a roof leak got into the CP-500, and some of the pins on a chip have been eaten away by corrosion.

The 684 board has to be replaced. The water damage has rendered the board useless.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2003 12:17 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A replacement Cat. 684 board has been ordered. Approx. a 6" by 6" square area of that board has been literally eaten away by water damage from a roof leak. The leads on several chips and components are severely corroded and portions of the circuit board foil traces have lifted away from the board and appear broken and black in color.
The CP-500 remains in bypass mode with no display, ALL button LED's on front panel lit, unable to select anything from those buttons, fader volume goes to WIDE OPEN when unit is powered up!

Looks like this one won't qualify for repair/exchange and will likely be an outright purchase in order to get this processor up and running.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: