Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Stopping and restarting a movie after 15 minutes... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Stopping and restarting a movie after 15 minutes...
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2003 09:34 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quick question...

I attended a sneak preview of "Just Married" at Regal Hollywood 18 here in Huntsville tonight. The show was supposed to start at 7:30 PM. I got there early and few people were in the auditorium at 7:00, but the show was started. At 7:15, the mistake was realized and the show was stopped.

The question is: When using platters, how long does it take to get the film setup properly to restart from the beginning?

The show was restarted from the point it was stopped, so that most of the people in the nearly-sold-out auditorium missed the first 10 minutes of the movie (there were about 5 minutes of previews).

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-01-2003 09:38 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on whether or not you can do a center drop on the platter. If you can a few minutes should be sufficient.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2003 09:48 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, assuming you have 15-25 minutes, is that more than sufficient, assuming worst case? Note: I'm not an operator. I'm trying to get an idea of whether the film was not restarted from the beginning because of laziness or because of infeasibility. I review the presentation quality of theatres in my area and the score assigned for this presentation will heavily depend on this. I'm asking this question here because I want to be fair in the way I grade this one.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-01-2003 10:02 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be plenty of time -- if the equipment will allow it. With 15 minutes of film already payed-out you should be able to do it on almost anything. Some setups may require cutting the film to do it safely though.

I suspect that (especially being a Wednesday night) the operator just didn't know what to do. It's probably not one of the first things to come to mind for someone that doesn't have much experience.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-01-2003 10:16 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do as Daryl does.

Simply (in an embarrasing manner) shut the machine down, and shut off the platter motors. Release the back-tension on the take-up and un-thread the projector. Remove the take-up ring from the takeup platter, and roll up the film between that ring and the pay-out head. Then unthread the pay-out head, "pop" the take-up ring, and flop the film back into the pay-out and rethread and re-start.

It should not be necessary to cut the film.

Then, chew out the ushers for not catching your error and staying silent about it. The floor staff should work with you, and not against you.

Most of the time when I screw up and start a movie at the wrong time, it is usually within two or three minutes before I get word from the floor staff that an error happened. I am usually still in the previews, and I will let that preview expend before I shut down. I take no action of winding it back up.

If I am into the show, that's a different matter, obvoiusly. When I roll it up, I will remove the previews after I drop the heap back into the center in event of a quick turn-around that could effect the start of the next run of that movie. However, I never had that happen were I was already into the show before the error was discovered.

Whatever I do, it usually takes about 3 to 4 minutes to correct.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-01-2003 10:23 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time you should have to cut the film is if your projector has conduit running out the front of it which you can't get the film around or if you have 'dumbly' designed control plates that you can't pull the film 'up out of' -- like _some_ Alpha 3's.

All projectionists running platters should know how to do this... especially if they ever expect an extended power outage mid-show and don't want to loose their next round of shows.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-01-2003 10:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually easier to restart the film from the beginning. It is also much better for the film's sake than to try and start at the feature.

Gee, this doesn't seem to be a problem with theaters that have CA21 automations. [thumbsup]

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2003 10:29 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. I decided to make a rather harsh 20 point decuction since three errors were made:

1. starting at the wrong time and not catching it for 15 minutes

2. not correctly restarting the movie from the beginning

3. telling people that went out to complain that "they were going to rewind the movie" (ha) while they never corrected the problem.

I also took couple points for volume being too low. I couldn't hear some of the quieter dialog since this auditorium was quite packed, and I was sitting in the third row of the stadium section (about halfway back). I felt sorry for people behind me and in the very back.

quote:

2003/01/01 19:30, Auditorium 13

Just Married

Grade: -22 (Current grade weight : 1.0000)

Image comments: Excellent.

Audio comments: Digital. Volume was too low, making dialogue hard to understand at times in this crowded auditorium. (-2)

Other comments: Auditorium width: 32 feet. Screen width: 27.5 feet (flat mode). Flat film. Projector was started at 7:00 instead of 7:30. The projector was stopped at 7:15 and instead of restarting from the beginning, the film was restarted from where it left off, 10 minutes into the movie. The majority of the people in this nearly-sold-out auditorium did not get to see the first 10 minutes of the movie because of this. (-20)

Problem codes: O20 d2

This will be posted on hsvmovies.com later tonight.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-01-2003 10:32 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course if you forget that the sneak show doesn't have the same start time as the bumped show you'll probably still program the start timer wrong. (At least I hope the bumped show was supposed to start at 7:00)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-01-2003 10:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, the programming would have been done for that particular movie, not the time slot.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2003 10:37 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point about the start time of the bumped show. Here is something else that probably led to the error: The ticket said auditorium 15, while the usher said it would be in house 13. I'll bet something was not updated properly because of the auditorium change.

Anyway, I got to see the entire movie, but I have to consider it from the viewpoint of the many people who came in between 7:15 and 7:30, many of whom got quite upset about it. Since it was a one-show sneak preview, they couldn't just sit in on the first 10 minutes of the next show or get a pass and see it again the next night, either.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2003 11:48 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My procedure is the same as Paul's for these things. Its only happened to me a few times. Usually I realize my error before the ads are even done. I wait to the end of the ad and stop the projector. I don't bother to drop the ads back in.

As to your show being quiet, my preview print didn't come with DTS disks, I imagine none of them did. If it was a DTS the projectionist should have turned off the player for that show and turned the volume control up if necessary for the analog presentation.

Finally, on the auditorium change, 'Just Married' replaced the 7 show of 'Drumline.' I'm not sure how that movie is doing in your area, but around here it doesn't rate our largest auditorium. Not a bomb mind you, just not selling out. The theatre likely did some shuffling of prints when they realized how well the sneak was going to do.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2003 11:48 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A one-show sneak preview SHOULD have a qualified operator with the proper know-how. However, I don't know many manager/operators who DO know how to do this. Does this theatre have a dedicated projectionist?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-02-2003 05:02 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my spectacular theater, we sometimes start a show that ends up not selling any tickets. The other guys just motor the print through. I stop and center drop the thing, without cutting and without getting the leader on the floor. Also, I have Strong platters with the unfriendly brains/control plates that are not fun to try to unthread (I modified that part to make them easy to thread and unthread). Usually I'll stop the movie 20 minutes after it has started. The "played through" part sits on top of the print outwardly so half of it is slanted upward, so to speak. Pays out through the modified Strong brain perfectly. The whole process takes around 5 minutes AT THE MOST.

So yeah, they definitely had the time to set things right. They just didn't have the know-how. [Frown]

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2003 08:44 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the kind of thing that really pisses me off. Now, we've all at one time or another miss-read a schedule and started a machine a little early but caught the mistake. But the fact that they started it early and then picked up where they left off is unacceptable. I consider myself very professional as a projectionist. There are right ways to do things and then there are wrong ways to do things. We renegotiated our contract with AMC and got another year out of them, for less pay mind you. But all we heard is that we don't need you people (projectionist) anymore, you're dinosaurs. Oh really? That's why films are out of focus, out of frame, scratched on the first show, start films at the wrong time and so on. Sorry to bitch and moan, but the arrogance of these theatre chains has gotten out of hand.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: