Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New AMC Trailers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: New AMC Trailers
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-30-2002 08:30 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must be that time of the decade or something. We just got our new "Coming Soon", "Silence Is Golden", & "Feature Presentation" trailers in. Of them all, I think the "Coming Soon" is my favorite. The Feature Pres is kinda cool, and the SIG is pretty cheesey. But then I always thought the SIG was cheesey. It's good to tell people to be quiet, but for some reason, AMC never comes up with a cool way to say it. Oh, well.

An interesting note... they have SDDS *AND* SRD tracks! Wow! It's funny that they would produce their trailers in a sound format that they tell everyone not to use (SR). This is a funny company sometimes. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2002 10:01 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they should make Silence Is Golden trailers ratings-specific. For example, on G and PG movies, it could be instructing kids to "Use your Library Voices" for PG-13, it could instruct patrons to "Be quiet so that others may enjoy the performance." and for R rated features, simply: "Shut the [fu] up!" [Smile]

=TMP=

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-30-2002 10:48 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea! [beer]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-30-2002 12:44 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do all AMC's start shows with an admonishment to look for fire exits or is this just one local peculiarity?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-30-2002 12:59 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal has a graphical "In case of FIRE, head for the nearest EXIT!" slide. What's odd (heh) is the EXIT door shown on the slide is on fire.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-30-2002 03:30 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the AMC fire exit thing is specific to the locality. In this area, the Framingham cinema shows it (as required by the local fire marshall), but Burlington and Chestnut Hill don't. This hasn't changed since AMC took over from General Cinema.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-30-2002 05:02 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was struck with the irony, when I first saw AMC trailers in the former GCC houses. Some had been sent in, used, from existing theatres, and were replete with scratches, splices, etc.

Oh, there IS a difference, alright! [Roll Eyes]

Btw, cool picture there, Scott! [thumbsup] Do you have the others posted anywhere?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-30-2002 05:16 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC should come up with a new snipe "Surround Speakers In The Ceiling Are Golden --The Gold Color of Pee."

Maybe one of the executives for AMC has a two speaker stereo system at home. One speaker in front of him and one on the ceiling. That's how AMC's sound systems seem to me. With that, there's little point to SDDS and SR*D.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-30-2002 05:37 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim -- glad you like it! I'll email you the others the next time I borrow a scanner.

For those who don't know (which is pretty much everyone here), Tim took that picture of me last summer. The camera in front of me is a 35mm Mitchell BNC (blimped newsreel camera), which was pretty much the standard for movies and TV shows from the '40s until the late '60s.

It looks like I'm wearing a cape or something, though, the way Brad cropped it. [Smile]

BTW, since when has AMC told people not to use SR or SRD? I know that they have an SDDS fetish, but I didn't think that they had anything against the other formats.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2002 08:34 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand, AMC only buys SDDS now, and that is the preferred format, but if you have the other systems, you may use them if the film does not have SDDS or if the unit in that particular house is not functioning properly.
Im not quite sure about SR (Id have to look over some documents), but I was once told by someone higher up (dont remember who) that most films are A and not SR.
I tend to check my head leaders, so I know better.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-30-2002 08:50 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not true that AMC only buys SDDS.

A-type noise reduction is extremely rare now. I've only encountered it twice this year out of several hundred films and both of those were very obscure small films. For all practical purposes at mainstream theatres Dolby A is obsolete.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2002 11:07 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What else are they buying that you know of?
From what I was told, they used to buy some Dolby Digital and DTS units as well as installing SDDS on all screens, but they quit doing that and buy only SDDS now.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-31-2002 10:16 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but I was once told by someone higher up (dont remember who) that most films are A and not SR.

Most mainstream films have at least SRD tracks, which means that the analog is SR. The only one I've seen recently that doesn't have an SRD track is MBFGW which is SR only. Like Steve said, Dolby A is extremely rare these days.

AMC does have some Dolby and DTS houses (we have two of the latter, and none of the former) but every time I inquire about getting SR cards for our Ultra Stereos so we can at least show non-SDDS prints (and trailers for that matter) in the proper analog format, the response I get is "Never show anything in SR!" Which just seems odd to me. Oh, well. [Roll Eyes]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-31-2002 12:11 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most mainstream films have at least SRD tracks, which means that the analog is SR.
While it may be common practice, it's not automatic nor a function of SRD. When I was researching recording NR systems for my own films, someone at Dolby told me this isn't necessarily so. The analog could be A-type, if the filmmaker wanted it.

Why would be another question...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-31-2002 12:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
every time I inquire about getting SR cards for our Ultra Stereos so we can at least show non-SDDS prints (and trailers for that matter) in the proper analog format, the response I get is "Never show anything in SR!"
Then why even buy those Ultra Stereo processors? [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: