Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP-500 vs. 650 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP-500 vs. 650
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2002 10:41 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than having built-in EX decoding as an option instead of having to use an external decoder, does the CP-650 offer any advantages over the 500? I don't know what it's like to set install and set up, but from the viewpoint of the user, I personally prefer the 500. I know that on the 650 you can assign any format to any button, but the labels will forever say 01, 04, 05, 10.... I pefer the screen and softkeys on the 500. Wish they hadn't done away with that.

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2002 05:30 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The major and probably only advantage is the easier setup via laptop, with an SDDS-style graphical user interface program. It's optional; you can still do a B-chain etc. by fiddling around with the several buttons on the CP650 front panel, but it's of course far easier with a full-fledged GUI.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2002 07:26 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC the list price of the 650 is a couple of thousand less than the 500 due to far fewer internal cards and the lack of that large very expensive lcd front panel

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-30-2002 08:03 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the moment Ken,

Only three buttons are assignable...U1, U2 and NS. The other numbered buttons are fixed until some future firmware says otherwise!

The CP-650 is quieter than the CP-500 (outputs)...the defaults (when the memory takes a dump...and they both will) on the CP-650 is mid, not all of the way down.

The CP-650 takes up less space. The CP-650 as more of an eye towards D-Cinema (can process AC-3, Dolby-E and PCM). The CP-650 can have AES3 (digital) outputs to avoid another D/A - A/D stage. The CP-650 takes a day and half to boot up (don't know if this is a "feature" persay). The CP-650 once again provides viewable (at a distance) Projector 1 or Projector 2 indicators. The CP-650 has BALANCED outputs (finally) to join the ranks of other professional sound gear. The CP-650 uses a genuine 3-pin XLR mic input!!!!

From an audience standpoint and from a future-proof standpoint, the CP-650 has the edge. From an installation standpoint, the CP-500 wins...only one output connector on the CP-650 and it is a D-sub...if you add EX, it's rewire time...what were they thinking?

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-30-2002 08:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, what exactly do you mean by this ststement??
"From an audience standpoint and from a future-proof standpoint, the CP-650 has the edge."

Bet ya that something in the 650 will go into obsolescense in 5 years or less......... As far as sound quality....sans the noise thing in the 500, the 500 sounds far better IMHO. I never had any problems with a strident high end on the 500 that I am having with the 650. Does not seem to matter what amplifier or speakers are used either....that strident high end is always there to some extent.
From what standpoint would the audience fit into what ever processor is placed in the booth?
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-30-2002 11:34 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found the 650 smoother sounding than the 500

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-30-2002 12:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there you have it...one says the CP-500 sounds better and one says the CP-650 sounds better...

Any layperson can tell more noise from less and the CP-500 is noiser. The CP-500 is closer to obsolesence than the CP-650 at the moment. I don't doubt that any DSP based system is one chip manufacturer away from needing a redesign to replace the NLA part.

Personally, I like the sound of the CP-650 and the flexibility of the CP-500 but I love the CP-200 most of all Scarecrow!

I'll stand by the position that the CP-650 is the better choice for now and future installations in a typical "mall" theatre.

For best performance, separates always win since each piece may be optimized...ie Panastereo, at the moment, as the host processor and add the digital of your choice to it. It's all analog baby, yeah! But who else, besides me, needs 3 digital inputs (Dolby, DTS and 5.1 video), 3 Non-Syncs (16mm, CD and Pro Logic), a Microphone, 2-projectors, and oh btw....have all of that AMX/Crestron controlled?

Steve

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-30-2002 12:41 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Steve...you didn't even mention SR digitally emulated on a 650 vs. 222-SR/A psuedo SR (common on 500's) vs. true SR (optional on a 500, not even possible on a 650).

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2002 02:56 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The CP-650 takes a day and half to boot up (don't know if this is a "feature" persay).
Our local Cinemeccanica guy said that this way the CP650 load "better" the software.... [thumbsup]

Bye

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-30-2002 05:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the material I have heard, the CP-650's emulated SR is as good or better than the CP-500's Cat 222SR/A emulated SR! [Razz]

Obviously, I'll take Cat. 300s or 350s over emulated SR, which the CP-500 is certainly capable of using. However, the noise of the CP-500 almost nulifies the benefits of the SR track [Wink]

But back on topic...for the typical mall theatre...the CP-650 would be my choice of Dolby product of the current or recent Dolby processors. Neither are what I would have designed.

Steve

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-30-2002 05:21 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the faults of the CP-500 and CP-650 being weighed, I suppose it would be a good thing to just get a CP-65 and separate digital sound playback processor.

How much more does it cost to get a CP-65 and Dolby DA-20 or DTS unit versus buying a CP-650?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-30-2002 05:51 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to their web site, Dolby only sells the CP650 and CP45 at this time, which seems like an odd mix of products.

I think Dolby "almost" got the right idea with the CP500--it's a very flexible device which works nicely in many situations (though 70mm isn't one of them). If only the software had been a bit more stable and there had been a provision (probably either PCMCIA card or network connectivity) for easily saving the configuration data.

For a 35mm-only venue, does the CP200 really offer much of an advantage over other items in Dolby's past and present product line? (other than looking more impressive in the sound rack, of course)

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-30-2002 05:56 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your 35mm-only restriction still rules in a lot of possibilities like 4-track mag, double system, not to mention house related things like multiple surround delays, etc.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-30-2002 07:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
Out of curiosity....What would you have designed? Its obvious that Dolby wasn't thinking at all when they laid out the 650. Also...there is really no choice of processors at Dolby if your really weigh the two options. I don't, and never did even consider the 45 as a candidate for installation anyplace.

Bobby,
The Panastereo, or Ultra Stereo and a DA-20 are the only real two routes to go at this time if you want seperates.
Yes, the 500 is alot noisier....just put your scope on the outputs of it and have a look see. Whats there would scare alot of techs! Have not looked at the output of a 650 but will in the next couple of weeks out of curiosity, hopefully all the RF is gone. I already regard the 500 as obsolete and I am quite sure that Dolby does too. It still had alot more of the analog sound quality to it than the 650 does, and thats what I prefer. I don't remember the noise level ever being a problem an any shopping mall type installations either. In a room that has a very low noise floor it could be a problem though. All in all, the 650 still does not impress me much.
Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-30-2002 08:08 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, maybe what you feel is a "more stride high end" of the CP650 maybe comes from the fact that there is less noise which "veils" the sound less?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: