Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New Carmike Trailers

Author Topic: New Carmike Trailers
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2002 09:17 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone noticed the new policy trailers that Carmike Cinemas locations have begun using recently? They show several animations of film with the "countdown" on it, and it seems that attention was given to putting some details on the film to make it look realistic (even the soundtrack). At first glance, I thought that the soundtrack was on the wrong side until I got my head on straight. Most artists' renditions of film are grossly incorrect in various ways, but this is one of the best ones I've seen. I also like the "Please turn off all cellular phones" part.

I admit that I preferred the previous trailer, which I first saw at a Carmike location on November 29, 1998 (wow, they used that one 4 years), with very colorful, pretty animation. The Carmike trailer before that one (used in 1997-1998) was lame.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-29-2002 10:43 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was one that American Movie Classics used to run, that depicted the soundtrack on the wrong side.

And in the early 90s, Goodrich's policy trailer had the film running horizontally, and sported (I believe) square sprocket holes. Pitiful.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2002 12:16 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans,

You like the new policy trailer? Ishh... I'm not fond of it at all. Very unimaginative sound mix, IMO. The 2nd one you referred to, with the bouncing marble, had a much more "dramatic" track which better utilzed the entire speaker array in the DTS format.

The cell phone addition is nice, but folks still don't get the point. I really, really wish that we could bounce stray signals in the houses to confuse the phones into off/silent/no transmission mode. As stated in my earlier post, cell phones in public places really PISS ME OFF. [Mad] [Mad]

Well, on second thought, not th eactual phone, rather it's inconsiderate handler.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2002 02:01 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the new Carmike policy, but Jason is right about the sound mix. What is that? Horns? And they sound like they're in mono. Until it says "Carmiiiike acrooosss ammmeerriiiccaaaa" (lame) does the sound seem to revolve around the auditorium.

The film animation is cool. They even went as far as to put the little "Double-D" logo inside the Dolby Digital track!

What pisses me off about certain artists' renditions of film is that there's never consistency with the sprocket holes!!! [Mad] Is it so hard to put 4 per frame? [Roll Eyes]

=TMP=

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2002 02:49 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of like the new trailer. Its more of a 'policy' trailer than the last one, what with the cell phones bit. The previous trailer basically gave the message: "You are at Carmike. We are big." I wish there was more in there about things like not talking, feet on the seats, whatever. A real policy trailer. Oh well.

And yeah, the sound mix sucks.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2002 10:50 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To clarify - I liked the "bouncing ball" one the best. It was great eye candy. The current one is not as good as the "bouncing ball", but it's better than the one they used before the "bouncing ball".

I guess if I had to rank all the policy trailers I've seen, here would be my order of preference:

1. Regal's "train" trailer (if printed properly) - (fun for many who like to hold up their arms and pretend they're on a roller coaster.)
2. Carmike's 1998-2002 trailer. (Great eye candy and good sound mix).
3. Carmike's current trailer. (it's definitely OK and serves a purpose, even if that purpose is a reminder to turn off cell phones).
4. Cobb's policy trailer that was in use 1996-1997 before Regal took them over. (never quite "got it")
5. Carmike's ????-1998 trailer. (lame)
6. Regal's "Pepsi Girl" trailer. (I still have nightmares about that one. [Smile] )

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-30-2002 10:55 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The current "Regal Entertainment Group" version of the Regal roller coaster trailer sounds really good when played in digital.

I never could figure out Cinemark's choice of Dixieland jazz music at the start of their most recent policy. Seemed kind of dated. But the 2nd half with all the spaceships & explosions was pretty good.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-30-2002 05:32 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen the new Carmike policy ad yet. The Carmike 8 in Lawton just received theirs, but didn't have time to stick them on for the midnight shows of the "Two Towers" (since their prints arrived at the last minute). I'll edit this post and comment on it when it see it.

Of all the policy trailers I've seen, I really liked some of the ones General Cinema developed in the early to mid 1990s (they featured computer generated popcorn, candy and soda cartoon characters playing in a jazz band). Those trailers were cute and nicely colorful.

Anyone remember the futuristic United Artists policy trailer. It has been a few years since I've seen it, but it kind of reminded me of "Bladerunner." The only bad thing about it was this person saying "Welcome" on a big video display attached to a large building. It was hard to tell if it was a guy or girl (yikes). UA replaced that one with a really crappy cartoon dinosaur trailer.

AMC usually puts together pretty spiffy policy trailers. Its too bad the sound system design of all their newer theaters suck real bad.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: