Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Century C to MTR3 with Gilmer (Cog) belt help

Author Topic: Century C to MTR3 with Gilmer (Cog) belt help
Dennis Tichy
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2002 05:50 PM      Profile for Dennis Tichy   Email Dennis Tichy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know one of Film-Tech's experts will nail this question. I have put a Century C onto of an MTR3 soundhead. That means the C is now a direct drive head. To do this you can either run a chain or a Gilmer (Cog) belt. I am using the Gilmer belt. The motor is a non-sync 1725 rpm with a 5/8" shaft. The drive gear on the C has a one " hole. With me so far? Now here comes the question. I put a 2" pully gear on the motor and a 2&1/2" on the C. The machine runs, but too slowly. I know that I must find a bigger pully for the motor and a smaller one for the C------but (and here is the question), what are the correct sizes I need?

As I mentioned I know one of our experts will have been through this before, so thanks in advance and Happy New Year.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-29-2002 07:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, there is more here than meets the eye. You will need the correct gear set for the main drive gear too.

What gears you will need also depends on if you are using the old style ST-744 main drive shaft or the newer style (larger diamter shaft but the pulley adapter is removable.

Steve

Dennis Tichy
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2002 08:06 PM      Profile for Dennis Tichy   Email Dennis Tichy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Why don't you give me the correct sizes for both cases. I am fairly certain I am using the updated version with the removable pully gears to which you referred. Thanks for your help. Dennis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-29-2002 09:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The gear on that shaft and the one it mates with on the verticle shaft need to be replaced
The gear on the verticle shaft is GR-182
And the complete main drive is M5-g-111t and the gear on it is a GR-328

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-30-2002 08:40 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using the current offerings and to use a "gear belt"

You would want a PY-1318 motor pulley, PY-1312 projector pulley and a BE-1474 belt (it is one of the modern metric belts). I believe there may be a need to use the modern shaft with this arrangement...that is the ST-2154 with removable pulley adapter instead of the old ST-744.

The M5-G-110T has everything for the main drive shaft except the pulley itself

As Gord said, with all direct drives you need the GR-182 steel gear on your vertical shaft.

Steve

Dennis Tichy
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2002 09:43 AM      Profile for Dennis Tichy   Email Dennis Tichy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Steve and Gordon,

Thanks for the help. I have already replaced the gears on the verticle shaft and the drive pinion does have the removable pulley adaptor. I will see if I have a PY-1318 and PY-1312. Would either of you happend to know the diameter of those two gears?

Dennis Tichy
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2002 11:25 AM      Profile for Dennis Tichy   Email Dennis Tichy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BINGO! Works like a fine Swiss watch. Thanks to both Gordon and Steve.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: