Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Automation and Changeover

Author Topic: Automation and Changeover
Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2002 05:01 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all !

I still working for the same company an we have buy two theater last week. One of these theater is an tiny multiplex from 3 screens and each booth is equiped with 2 projectors. the booth 1 got two simplex projectors an the booths 2 and 3 got monee projection heads. What a crap ! My proble is this: the automation work with barcode strips they are "glued" (sorry, my English is too bad) on the film. A Infrared reader "sense" these barcode and give the order to the automation to i.e. to switch the sound or the auditorium lights, and so...
But if one of these barcode become a bit dirty, the automation work wrong ! Imagine that a intermition at the begining of the movie [Mad]
For this reason I'm looking for a safe automation system, able to make some changeover between two projectors without trouble and human help [Wink]
One more story about these projectors: The wiring is the worst I've ever seen in my own life: the cables are not protected and could be damaged when you close the door of the console. [Eek!]

Any advice for an automation will apreciated. I know that Eprad CNA Series are not designed for changeover operation and my boss dosen't want to put a platter in theses booth.

Thank You and happy new year [beer]

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-29-2002 05:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pennywise can do changeovers

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-29-2002 05:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been covered in another thread.

Known C/O automations that are available NEW

Pennywise (under the Christie and Kinoton badges as well)

Panalogic

Kelmar via an "integrator"

Steve

Mike Baer
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2002 06:36 PM      Profile for Mike Baer   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Baer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jean-Michel

i know about this Problem with the barcodes.
Question:who did install the automation?Arbus electronic?
In my former Cinema i worked for,we had the same crap!

Mike

Mike Baer
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2002 07:00 PM      Profile for Mike Baer   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Baer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me again

the new Kinoton EMK1 is a good thing,or the good and old Kinoton matrix Programmer will work fine for Changeover.

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2002 10:37 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mike,

Happy to meet some guys in Switzerland conected to filmtech forums.

Yes it was Arbus eletronic that installet this crap, and truth, some faillures happend sometimes. but normally it's vork.

But i believe that my boss never will change this system and spend monney !

Thank you and happy new year !

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2003 08:17 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just protect the barcode strip with splicing tape?
and/or make sure the proximity detector is as close as possible.

I've never seen automations that use the barcode, but certainly have recieved used prints with the barcodes on them.

Personally I can't see the point of it. Nothing wrong foils and steps.

Bill

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-01-2003 05:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Please, please, please you barcode cue people put the cut ON TOP OF the splicing tape. Never ever put the barcode cue straight on the film! That adhesive is permanent.

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I'm agree with you, placing a adhesive barcode on a splicing tape will munch better, but if I do like this, the barcode reader could wrongly read the barcode and the automation make a mistake.
And the projectionist told me to place any cue at more least one feet from a splicing, and one interval of 1-1/2 feet between two barcode.
You know why I realy dislike this system [Mad] [bs]
But for luck, the adhesive is easy to remove with a special film cleaner [Roll Eyes]

I wish you an happy new year, and beg your pardon for my weak english [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-03-2003 05:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used barcode automation systems for years and went through hundreds of cues. I have never had putting a cue on top of splicing tape pose a problem. Get a test roll of film and put some cues on it and see for yourself. The only thing to remember is that most barcode systems require 8-10 feet in between each cue.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-03-2003 07:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several automations systems other than the UA one that used barcodes and they are different in there requirements

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-03-2003 07:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I know, but have you tried placing them on top of splicing tape to verify if it works or not, or are you just pointing that out in general? Any barcode that is THAT sensitive to the thickness of a piece of splicing tape has issues. Barcode scanners by their very nature are designed to be scanned from a wide variance in distance.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: