Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » JS 200 sound problem

Author Topic: JS 200 sound problem
Tim Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2002 12:24 PM      Profile for Tim Johnson   Email Tim Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I am having a problem with my sound. It sounds very distorted with the backgound music. In normal dialog it doesn't sound bad but anytime you get to the action parts of the movie the sound becomes distorted. I have tried switching all the cards with another unit and this was not the problem, I switched the center and surround channels around and the problem followed. The nonsync music sounds good before the movie. Below is a list of the equipment we have:
Simplex XL
RCA Soundhead
JS 200 Processor
QSC 1400 Amplifier
Component Engineering reverse scan reader

Thanks for any help I can get.

PS. This is my first posting - but I have been following the site for quite awhile.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2002 12:32 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I had this happen it was a bed amp channel. I also use QSC-1400. I had a spare amp and put it in and the problem was solved. Now I have to send the old amp back to QSC for reconditioning which they do for about $90.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-29-2002 01:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your monitor allows you to switch between processor and amp out listen there if it distorted on the processor out then the problem is probably in the processor If it is distorted on amp out the amp probably has a problem. If it is clean on both then it is a speaker problem

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-29-2002 01:09 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it playing Digital or analog when it is distorted. A Dolby tone may need to be ran on the sound head to make sure the tone levels are not set to high.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: