Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Looking for 16mm equipment

Author Topic: Looking for 16mm equipment
Matthew Cunningham
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2002 09:26 PM      Profile for Matthew Cunningham   Email Matthew Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This post would probably qualify for the wanted/for sale section, but I'm not yet in the position to be buying anything yet.
So, here's my query:
I have been tapped by a friend in the arts community here in Seattle to find some quality 16mm equipment for an established venue that needs something other than school district level Bell & Howells. This is a place that shows one-of-a-kind prints (meaning the filmmaker brings in the cans of his/her only copy of his/her film), and archival prints that need special care. I'm looking for something that is NOT auto-thread or slot load. Trained operators will be using this stuff, so "complicated" threading patterns are not a problem.
I've had good experiences with Eiki equipment, and I've seen (yet not operated) some nice looking Prevost 16mm projectors. Both of these examples are mounted on their own hefty pedestals and look/feel like they are damned expensive. I haven't been given a price range yet, given that I am supposed to be researching all this stuff.
So what can I be looking at price-wise, and who can I trust to deliver a good product?
Any help will be much appreciated, and keep in mind that these folks will likely be looking at a 35mm set-up in the near future as well...

Thanks,
Matthew Cunningham

P.S. The group in question is a non-profit arts organization (if that affects service and price with some dealers).

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2002 10:14 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact Jeff Bartone at the Olympia Film Society in Olympia (located in the Capitol Theater). The phone number is 360-754-5378. They have an Eiki EX-6000 professional xenon arc pedestal (1000 watt xenon lamp) that they may be selling.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2002 02:47 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try International Cinema Equipment Company in Miami. iceco.com. They handle a lot of 16mm stuff. I have an Eiki 300w xenon modified to run 6,000 ft.reels (circa'75) but I'm not sure I want to sell it yet. What price range did you have in mind?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-29-2002 04:57 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fumeo are good, as are Kinoton (very expensive) Eastman 25 have a very good reputation (I've never seen one) but I'm not sure about the spare parts situation now.

I never found the Eiki machines to be very good with old, shrunken prints, they were ok, I wouldn't say better than that, with decent prints. This refers to the 1500, 3000, 5000 etc., I haven't used the 6000 or later, which were a different design, and so, may be better.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-29-2002 11:40 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eiki's tend to dislike shrunk film
Fumeo and Prevost(zies favorite16B) are work horse reliable units as are hortsons once you understand them

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-29-2002 03:07 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Eiki's tend to dislike shrunk film
Fumeo and Prevost(zies favorite16B) are work horse reliable units as are hortsons once you understand them

I know a place that had a Favorite 16B for a while. Very nice engineering, but the only time I saw a film progected from it I was disappointed with the light. They were running a 1600W horizontal lamp in it, which put less light on the screen than the 900W vertical Fumeo which replaced it. Because I have only seen one show with it, I don't know if the low light output was typical, or if there was something wrong. The machine I saw would only take 4000 foot spools, most cinema 16mm machines will take 6000 feet. This was the only 16mm machine I have ever seen with spool boxes on it!

For running 'difficult' prints I don't think there is anything to touch my old Bell and Howell 609, this has the old style small lens barrel b+H mech, and will run prints which other machines will not touch. It loses out however in terms of light output, and sound quality.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-29-2002 03:43 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the enclosed spoolbox the reel should be able to be 25" and witha 5" core will hold 6000'
The prevost lamphouses are not that efficient most here have either Zeis,Strong or Xetron on the back of it
Since the poster is in Seatle there was a Prevost with a xetron for sale at whidby island naval base theatre a few years ago

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-29-2002 04:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me be very clear on this....

I think the Prevost is a beautiful hunk of junk and I'd avoid like the plague. It, like other Prevost machines look and feel like knock-offs. I've never been happy with them.

For shrunk film, ELMO seems to do quite well. They use a 2-perf claw so the affects of the shrinkage are minimal (as opposed to 3-perf claws or intermittent type sprockets that engauge 3 or more perfs).

Look for some Elmo LX-1100 or LX-2200s (1000 and 2000 watt xenon) projectors...the US Navy used to use them a lot so they turn up in the Surplus and auctions nowadays. We could probably even get an LX-1100 up and going for ya though we are on the wrong side of the country.

Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-29-2002 04:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My only complaint with the prevost is the sound stabalizer but once you are familiar with it (like an ernaman's) they are stable
The vaiable width slit is also a nice touch that is an option
Elmos are hard to get parts for up here

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2002 11:12 AM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have e-mailed you regarding a Hortson you might be interested in, and it is in Seattle.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: