Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SG-1 pink noise generator (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: SG-1 pink noise generator
Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2002 01:23 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently purchased a component engineering SG-1 pink noise generator. The instructions explain that the channel selector switches (L,C,R,S) are off in the center position and are "of opposite phase on each side of center". What does this mean? Should the switch be in the left or right position when putting pink noise through a channel?

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-25-2002 09:07 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the instructions saay: "of opposite phase on each side of center" - I think that is a mistake in printing. When the switches are up, the pink noise in in phase. When down, that channel is out-of-phase.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-25-2002 09:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Mr. Walsh, it is you that is mistaken on this one....

The CE SG-1 is the black framed PN generator for Dolby Analog processors (except the CP-45). The switches are more tightly spaced on the unit to allow for the tone generator knob and THX jack (for RT-60 tests). Thus, the switches operate in a left/right orientation instead of the traditional up/down orientation.

What the instructions are saying is that if you wanted to check phasing of your speakers (at best a risky subject using a PN generator), you can check relative phase by moving one or the other switch to the opposite direction and see if there is a level increase or decrease (as measured on your RTA). The idea being that if there is an increase when the two switches are moved in the opposite direction, you have the two speakers out of phase with one another.

With the SG-1, moving the switches to the right is considered "in-phase" (equivalent to the Cat. 85C from Dolby with the switches up). However, with any one channel selected, it really doesn't matter.

There...confusing enough?

Steve

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2002 10:50 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
Thanks for your help.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-25-2002 01:28 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops,... It must be the eggnog.....

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2002 11:22 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
".....if you wanted to check phasing of your speakers (at best a risky subject using a PN generator)," - Steve Guttag

Steve, if you wanted a quick check of proper phase polarity, what method would you use (other than visually checking the wiring)?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-27-2002 07:23 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no substitute for using an actual phase checker. It will thump the speaker every second or so...the pick up will tell you if the cone/diaphragm motion is inward or outward.

Steve

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-27-2002 07:45 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me expand on that and explain that Steve is referring to a 2-piece device consisting of a signal generator that produces the uni-polarity thumps (line level, connect it directly to amp channel) and the receiver which has a mic on it and is held near the speaker (or driver of an array). A typical design has LEDs that flash one color or another depending on the phase of the thumps and being very small can be lashed to a pole and held up to surrounds and other hard to get to speakers to check the phasing. As always it doesn't matter what the phase is so long as they are all the same.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-27-2002 07:50 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the phase checker is the best unit and is available from smart devices [Smile]
Also the cp650 has the thump part built in

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 09:46 AM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a happy little bit of serendipity for those of you who have both an SG-1 and a
phase checker. If you put the Pink Noise/Tone switch in its middle position and connect
your phase checker to the pink noise output test jacks (hot to Blue and ground to Black)
you will be able to then use the channel select switches on the SG-1 to feed the phase
checker to the amplifiers. The phase can also be reversed by these same switches just
as discussed above.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-27-2002 01:54 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...speed of sound is about 340 m/s. So a 1000 Hz tone would have a wavelength of .34 meters. Which means that when the same sound eminates from more than one speaker if the listener is in a position whose distance to either speaker differs by half that distance will have phase cancellation. Is there a flaw in my reasoning? It sure gives one pause regarding speaker phasing.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-27-2002 04:30 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but we don't normally use a steady tone to check phase. The phase checker transmitter puts out just a series of thumps or clicks (hence the nickname). Since the test signal is just a transient (not even a very fast one), the receiver can tell whether the driver in question is going in or out. The phase checkers I've used didn't seem to be sensitive to distance or placement relative to the test source--the closest one is the one that gets read.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-27-2002 05:25 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes but my point is that how important is phasing if moving my head a few feet one way or another will create the same phase error as miswired speakers?

Mark Hathaway
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 05:35 PM      Profile for Mark Hathaway   Email Mark Hathaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find that normally if something is to be out of phase, it will be the horn in relation to the bass bin.

I just love getting up onto the platform.

Mark Hathaway
Atlab Image and Sound Technology
Melbourne, Australia

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 11:23 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting point, Steve. Presumably this is why the multichannel pink noise/RTA test of speaker phasing is not foolproof? Having the stage speakers out of line with each other, as in a curved screen setup, would also seem to throw off the phase.

I'd imagine it's far more important for an array of speakers designed to work in unison to be in phase, i.e. a subwoofer array or the frequency sections of a single stage speaker, rather than a set of stage speakers whose axes may not be parallel, whose sound may not emanate from the same plane, and whose sound information is usually different anyway.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: