Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "Gangs Of New York" Print Condition

Author Topic: "Gangs Of New York" Print Condition
Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 09:02 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed some people mentioned the condition their GONY prints arrived in in other threads, so thought I would start this one.

Our print arrived with no reel bands. Odd for Technicolor, I thought. It was not a used print as all heads and tails were intact. But here's the kicker:

Reel Four was horrible! I held it up to the light and noticed several different "shades" of film. So I thought, I have a few lab splices to inspect. Actually, there was only one lab splice, made rather poorly with an unusually large space, and was mid-frame. The other two splices in the reel were TAPE SPLICES!! [Eek!] Yep. A lab splice and TWO TAPE SPLICES in a single reel. (8-perf tape) What's more, is that the images did not match at the tape splices. How is one to know that these are correct??

I have pictures, but left my digital cam in the booth. Will post them when I get them. Problems have been logged and we may or may not request a replacement reel.

Anyone else have similar "problems"?

=TMP=

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 11:35 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was informed that our print had a sound drop out (presumably around R4/R5 from the time elapsed since starting). CP-500 lost DTS track on splice and reverted to analog.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-25-2002 09:15 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our print seems OK.

Although the heads and were intact, the print may have been run in a change-over booth and that operator just threw away the paper bands.

Tape splices might indicate last minute editing.

The only complaint we've had so far is that many scenes are very dark, although I think this was intended by the director.

Carl Palko
Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2002 04:42 PM      Profile for Carl Palko   Email Carl Palko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print that we recieved seemed to be ok. Except for the fact that there did appear to be a couple different shades of film like you had mentioned. There were a few lab splices in there but all matched up and were ok.

Carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: