Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question about stereo hookups

Author Topic: Question about stereo hookups
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 02:24 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I just picked up a new Kelmar Bilateral (Stereo) photo cell and now I need to know what else I might need to go along with this. Would I need to replace the slit lens or anything? What about aligning it? Would it be possible for someone to slip me about 2' of alignment film? Also how far can I take this analog stereo? Or rather what would happen if I ran this into my Surround sound system?
By the way the pickup is installed in a RCA 9030 SH.
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 04:32 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

instructions for install I believe can be found in the Manuals Forum of F.T. Instructions can also be had from Kelmar.

If you are on a tight budget...contact John Eickhof. I do believe that he has good used (tested) components at reasonable cost.

FYI...anaglog bi-laterals w/exciter lamps and l.e.d. analog reverse scan units regurally "back-up" the digital formats. I was a projectionist at a major THX 20-plex using all three igital formats...and I tell you that several times...and for numerous reasons, if not for the good ole analog, we would have been showing silent flics!

If an analog bi-lateral is set up correctly, along with a clean print treated w/ Film-Guard [Big Grin] excellent sound can be achieved.

This has been covered in other threads...but cleanliness is next to godliness....keep your projector/sound head clean and free of extra oil...especially around the slit-lense. Slit lense can, and well soak up oil thereby ruining it! Make sure that you are using high quality shielded bearings on the sound drum shaft!!!

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 05:56 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, the slit lens would be the same for "MONO" and "STEREO" ?
I think it would be but I am not sure.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-24-2002 07:29 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the same slit lens can be used for both. If you REALLY wanted to boost the high frequencies there are 'narrow slit' lenses available, but they aren't THAT necessary.

As for playback into your home theatre 'surround sound' system, it should work fine, surround and all, but you will have to boost the solar cell output with a preamplifier of some kind before you send it to the receiver.

-Aaron

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-24-2002 09:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several topics on the use of mic and other preamps
There are usually used Smart and Dolby processors surfacing on ebay cheaper than a doit yourself rig and will work far better

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: