Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Any Changeover Houses Left? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Any Changeover Houses Left?
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 07:27 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As another year draws to a close, I was just wondering if any changeover houses running 2000' reels still exist in the USA. Anyone still running carbon arcs?

The Loews Jersey in Jersey City NJ is the only changeover house I am aware of, and they only run film one weekend a month, at best.

/Mitchell

|  IP: Logged

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 07:39 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screening room at the Regal Corporate office is a changeover house.

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 07:55 AM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Los Angeles, the Egyptian (of course), the Academy, UCLA and a few other "special" venues. The only "regular" theater is the Beverly, a revival house. But if you mean theaters that run "new" movies daily, I can't think of any.

Jeff Joseph
SabuCat Productions

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-24-2002 08:07 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brooklyn Center Cinema -- change-over; 2000ft usually/6000ft rarely; Carbon Arcs (Pearless Magnarc burning 80amps)

Brooklyn Museum -- change-over; 2000ft only; Xenon

Celebrate Brooklyn Summer Festival -- change-over; 2000ft usually /6000ft occasionally; Xenon

Massachusettes Museum of Contemporary Art -- change-over; 2000ft only; Xenon (70mm)

CineStudio, Hartford -- change-over; 2000ft/6000ft; Carbon Arc -- not sure of the lamphouse, but I think they are using Ashcraft. (70mm)

Landmark Theatre, Upstate NY -- change-over, 2000ft/6000ft, Xenon (possibly).

And as mentioned, the fabulous Loew's Jersey.

These are just a few on the east coast that I know of personally. I am sure there are lots more, as Jeff says, mostly specialty venues; obviously you won't find any change-over or carbon arc setups in multiplex operation. CineStudio is as close to a commercial operation as you can get (they rent the theatre from the college) and they do run three days a week every week and mix some very new, albeit second run titles, as well as retrospective and independent films.

Frank

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 08:15 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I service a 2000' reel to reel house with carbons. It's a single screen theater that has been in operation since the twenties. He's running Super Simplex projectors with RCA soundheads, Peerless Magnarcs running 7mm/9mm carbons, and a Motiograph tube soundsystem with an altec speaker behind the screen. He runs "sub-run" (i.e. gets movies two to threee weeks after their release date) shows 5 or 6 days a week.
It's The Strand Theater in Paw Paw, Michigan
here's a picture from www.CinemaTour.com (kind of a cool website, by the way)
 -
He puts on a very good show. If I lived closer than two hours I would patronize his theater.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-24-2002 08:28 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't speak for the USA, but here in the UK carbon arc is just about dead, sadly. Two places that I know of, the Plaza, Oxted and the New Royal, Faversham were running arcs with 2000 foot changeovers until recently, but have now re-equipped. I don't know what they are running now, but I believe that someone from the cinema at Faversham posts here, perhaps he could let us kmow.

There are plenty of places running changeovers with xenons, the National Film Theatre, for example, have Victoria 8s, which can take 6000 feet but they run most of their films on 2000 foot spools. The main exceptions to this are for two strip 3-D, where both projectors are needed, and for 70mm, which seems to come in on larger spools. They are now holding some films for longer runs, of a week or so, and I believe that at least some of these are run from 6000 foot spools. I saw one last year which certainly was. Changeover houses are still being built. The David Lean Cinema in Croydon is a small, single screen art house venue, seating about 50. It opened just a few years ago, with a pair of brand new Kinoton FP-30Ds. I have projected there a couple of times, they normally make up prints on 6000 foot spools, but can of course run 200 foot parts. I ran one film there that way. The Museum of London, the last time I was there, had only 2000 foot spool boxes on their Kalee projectors, I expect that it is still the same today. Anywhere that is still licenced to run nitrate must be running at most 2000 feet on a machine, I beleive that you still have a number of nitrate-licenced venues over there, here it is just about extinct. Many archives will not allow their prints to be spliced for funning on large spools or platers, so anywhere running these prints must be doing 2000 foot changeovers. Then there are the prewiew theatres, just about all of them would be running 2000 feet. Home cinemas, archives, studios, television production facilities, laboratories, university lecture theatres, there are plenty of places other than multiplex cinemas which run film, and many of them would be doing changeovers.

I know of just a few conversions from xenon to carbon arc. One place in the West of Englnd, I can't remember the name, had a pair of Westars, long ago converted to horrible BTH three electrode vertical xenons, still with 2000 foot spools. About ten years ago they equipped one projector with a tower and modern xenon lamphouse to run the features, but retained the second machine for running the adverts and trailers on a separate spool. As this machine was running for just a few minutes at a time, they converted it back to carbon. Sadly, the place has now closed. I recently heard of a cinema in Germany which had converted to carbon under new ownership, I don't know the details. A few months ago I converted a private home cinema in the North of England from very small xenons which were too small to align correctly in the lamphouses, replacing them with the original Peerless arcs, which they still had in store. Lastly, of course, there is the Lowe's Jersey, which has re-instated the Ashcraft arcs which were in use there from the 1950s to the '70s. I hope they remain in use for a long time to come, but the news that National are to cease production of carbons is worrying.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-24-2002 08:38 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are still plenty of changeover houses, though most are not regular first-run mainstream film venues.

For what it's worth, I have personally run film at the following places (all but one of which are currently in regular operation; pics of most are in the gallery):

Williamsburg Theatre - Williamsburg, VA. (2000/6000' - xenon - now called "Kimball Theatre")
Cape Cinema - Dennis, MA. (2000' - carbon)
Hanscom AFB - Bedford, MA. (2000' - xenon)
GCC Screening Room - Chestnut Hill, MA. (2000' - xenon)
Columbus Theatre - Providence, RI. (main house - 2000/6000' and platter - xenon; balcony - 2000' - carbon - soon to be converted to xenon)
Wellesley College - Wellesley, MA. (2000/6000' - xenon)
Brandeis University - Waltham, MA. (2000/6000' - xenon)
Avon Cinema - Providence, RI. (2000' - carbon)

Others in the Boston area that I know of but haven't worked in (incomplete list):

Coolidge Corner - Brookline, MA. (6000' automated c/o - xenon)
Brattle Theatre - Cambridge, MA. (2000/6000' - xenon)
Museum of Fine Arts - Boston, MA. (2000' - xenon)
Studio Cinema - Belmont, MA. (6000' - xenon)
Harvard Film Archive - Cambridge, MA. (2000/6000' - xenon)
Wang Theatre - Boston, MA. (2000' - xenon)
Wollaston Theatre - Quincy, MA. (2000' - carbon)

Others in the Virginia/DC area that I know of but haven't worked in (incomplete list):

Byrd Theatre - Richmond, VA. (2000/6000' - xenon)
Naro Expanded Cinema - Norfolk, VA. (2000/6000' automated c/o - xenon)
Fork Union DI - Fork Union, VA. (2000' - carbon)
Uptown - DC (2000/4000' - xenon)
AFI - DC (2000/6000' - xenon)
Charles Theatre - Baltimore, MD. (used to be a single with 2000/6000' and xenon; is it still a c/o house?)
many others (Steve G. will give a list, I'm sure)

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-24-2002 08:39 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank said:

quote:

Massachusettes Museum of Contemporary Art -- change-over; 2000ft only; Xenon (70mm)

Frank, do you mean that they do run 2000 feet only, of that they can only run this size? I've never seen dual-guage projectors with only 2000 foot spool boxes.

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 08:41 AM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Plaza cinema in Oxted was running carbon changeovers up until about 6 months ago. The cinema recantly changed owners so not sure what is in there now.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-24-2002 08:59 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Buffalo area
the East Aurora theatre
The Sheas Buffalo Carbon
The Rivera North Tonawanda Carbon

In Toronto The Cinesphere, The Ont Science Centre, The Art gallery of OntarioThe Royal, The Revue, The Fox, The Kingsway, The Music Hall,The Paradise, 2 Screening Rooms at Famous Player and 2 at Cineplex Odeon and 2 at York University, 1 at MCA, 1 at Warner Brothers, 1 at University of Toronto

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 09:12 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the capability for 2000/6000' and platter. Changeover is just for emergencies when the movie comes late. Xenons in converted Peerless Magnacrs.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 09:18 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bay Theatre here in Orange County is a first run/art/rep. house that runs 6k changeovers. Nice place, they also have adjustable screen masking!
Baytheatre.com is their website.

Danny

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 09:21 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Plaza, Oxted have been on xenons for six months now, AEI 2Kw type lamphouses from my old cinema the Regal, Cranleigh. The Westar projectors have 5,000' spoolboxes.

The last I heard a few months ago of the Pendle Stairway cinema, Ilfracombe was 2,000' changovers with BTH type 'C' carbon arclamps.

[Update to Stephen & William's postings]

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 09:23 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Haars Drive-In in Dillsburg PA still runs 2,000 ft reels with changeovers with the SuperCore Lite Hi-Intensity rotating carbons with the water cooled system.

AND THE ENTIRE 500 CAR DRIVE-IN STILL HAS ONLY IN-CAR SPEAKERS!

This past September it was announced that the property has been sold to a real estate developer. According to the local media the drive-in has been leased back to the Haar family who will run it for the short term; however there is much speculation that next summer will be the last. [Frown]

Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 09:35 AM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buffalo NY:
University at Buffalo Center for the Arts

Rochester NY:
Dryden Theatre (George Eastman Photography Museum)
Theatre on the Ridge (Eastman Kodak)
University of Rochester Hoyt Hall (6000' automated xenon)
University of Rochester Strong Auditorium (6000', xenon)

Ithaca NY: Cornell University

I'm sure there's more, as you can see changeover houses are generally special one- or two- run theatres.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: