Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sony dropping Technicolor as of 1/7/2003 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sony dropping Technicolor as of 1/7/2003
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-20-2002 06:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just received a fax from Sony Pictures stating that effective Tuesday, January 7, ETS will be handling their prints.

Playdates commencing on or before January 6 will still be delivered and picked up by Technicolor.

ETS is also supposed to be providing a 24-hour customer call center, exclusively for Sony, for replacement reels etc.

|  IP: Logged

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 12-20-2002 07:48 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YEAH! That's all that really needs to be said.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-20-2002 07:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
ETS and Sony have been planning this for awhile, expanding their depots and such. It is good to hear that a date has been set instead of "first of 2003".

Sony is very good about keeping tons of prints. I think they actually have their own special warehouse up in Ohio that TES runs for them. This will be quite a bit of work for ETS receiving and cataloging all of those incoming Sony prints. Anyone know how long the transition will take?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-20-2002 08:46 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
probably shouldn't be to hard for them since TES still uses the grey cans. Just rip off the orange sticker and put the print tracker lables back on. I'd probably say that they already have the print tracker lables and data bases ready. It's just a matter of relableing the cans. No more Friday pick-ups for Sony films once they get things rolling again. [Smile]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-20-2002 09:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will this affect Sony Pictures Classics releases as well, or will they continue to be handled by Reel Easy?

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-20-2002 09:32 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Sounds like the 24x7 ETS support will be the most interesting part. At least compared to the "hands off; call your booker" policy they have now.

It's also going to be interested to see how ETS integrates a centralized model, since, at least around here, the studio bookers tend to know the delivery personnel (for the local shipping companies that ETS outsources to) by name...

--jhawk

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-21-2002 01:23 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's hope that this doesn't change ETS. Don't want to see them become anything like TES!

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2002 01:56 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have one foot in the ETS camp and the other in the TES. I haven't had nearly as many problems with TES that some people here have. However, when we got our Gangs of New York prints in this week NONE of the reels had reel bands and unlike ETS the leaders were not secured adequatly with tape. The leaders were a tangled mess. I certainly hope TES isn't dropping reel bands, its one of the things they had over ETS.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-21-2002 09:56 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what made them decide to change. Probably just a matter of pricing; I doubt exhibitor complaints about reels, bands, and pickup policies matter much to the people that decide these things.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2002 10:10 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin said:

>However, when we got our Gangs of New York prints in this >week NONE of the reels had reel bands and unlike ETS the >leaders were not secured adequatly with tape. The leaders >were a tangled mess. I certainly hope TES isn't dropping reel >bands, its one of the things they had over ETS.

You have to remember too, that if they are in a certain can, that doesn't mean that either TES or ETS actually delivered it. Some times you get these fly-by-night couriers that bicycle prints between two theatres with out any exchange getting invovled. I would bet if you looked at the shipping invoice it came from another theatre directly like an AMC or a Loews. I had a print of Greek Wedding starting at my theatre in it's 6 month. Why? I don't know. But my print was shipped from Loews Newport Center Mall (hello booth ushers) in Hoboken. It didn't have any leaders attached to the print at all. I was lucky that they were in the can. If it wasn't for that, I would have been guessing. As it was, the print was supposed to be there by midnight. Then they said, 10AM, then 12PM. Well. It showed up around 3PM with one show already cancelled. And this was all because they didn't take it apart at the first theatre. My prints are in the cans the night they leave. At the door for pick up. I will not do to "you" what has been done to me.

As far as reel bands...I remember a time when all the info was put on the reel band, not a sticker that is taped over the splice. If they're gonna do that instead of putting the sticker on the band, not to screw up the tie, I rather them not put on any reel bands. Half the time they don't tie the damn thing anyway.

I've delt with TES for about 10 years now. I can't wait to see them go and I'm glad someone like Sony is not putting up with their crap anymore. MGM I hear wants out too but TES made such a great deal that they had no choice. After all, this was Disney's baby.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-21-2002 10:34 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reel bands are a good idea, but they need to be _good_ reel bands, not TES's cheesy version. The cardboard is too easy to tear, and I usually end up having at least one string break for every print because the ID stickers are usually placed directly over the string catch. [Mad] If they put the sticker over the section of the band where the title/number of reels/etc. information should be written (before putting the band on the reel), that would work fine.

I do use the reel bands (and I fill in the "reel number" circle since TES never does), but I'd really like to see TES get better bands and ETS start using them. I really have a hard time believing that a dollar or two for reel bands is too much to spend to protect a $1-2k print.

ETS and TES both have their good and bad points. ETS has better reels (though the quality seems to be going downhill), but TES has 24-hour service for replacement reels, etc. TES charges less for shipping, too, but they won't let nearby theatres transport the prints themselves. ETS (well, actually, their subcontractors like "Film Transport" in MA and "Highway Films" in the DC area) sometimes delivers prints on Wednesday (especially to the larger multiplexes), which I suppose is an advantage for some people. I usually work at a 6-plex on Thursday nights, and usually only have 1-2 makeups and 1-2 breakdowns, so Thursday evening delivery isn't an issue. My prints area always in the lobby and ready for pickup on Thursday nights, so Friday morning pickups are fine. I realize that those who work in 30-plexes can't always do this, but it's a nonissue for me.

Ray Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2002 11:09 AM      Profile for Ray Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Reel bands are a good idea, but they need to be _good_ reel bands, not TES's cheesy version.
I agree. 20 years ago every print had the HEAVY cardboard type bands with HEAVY strings [thumbsup] .

The only print I have seen with the old style bands lately came from Sony Pictures Clasics (Reel Easy).

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2002 11:47 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin's theater got Gangs of New York with tangled leaders and no reel bands. That wasn't just Technicolor . . . that was Miramax! [Razz]

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2002 02:20 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really dont see what Miramax has to do with anything in this case Charles.
That could have happened with an MGM or Lions Gate, or Universal print for all that matters.
You must have some personal beef with Miramax since you like to flame them every chance you get.
Get over it already.

Also does ETS make their own reels or do they get them from somewere else?
I know Technicolor has reels that say "Technicolor" on them, but the reels with ETS prints usually have Warner Bros, Paramount, or 2oth Century Fox on them.
Either that or they are some generic reel, and from time to time, I have even seen the crappy black Technicolor snap-together reel.

I once got a print that was shipped in a cardboard box on cores.
I called ETS around the time we were supposed to lose it to find out if they were ever going to send reels to break them down on, and I was told they dont handle that and I would have to get them from the distributor if I wanted them.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-21-2002 02:54 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice to see this change. However... finally having attained the lofty status of an olde pfart in this business... I can say that I'd prefer to have our local National Film Service branch back, please [Big Grin] .

Time was when we could take a leisurely ferry ride to Seattle, drive about 6 blocks to the depot, exchange prints and sometimes actually make the next ferry back.

Now that our traffic rivals Los Angeles', I'd sure prefer the old days, when it didn't take 6 hours at 20 mph to do the round trip!

Ah, well... at least they won't be banging on my door on Friday mornings anymore [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: