Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » dts drops to SR as tail runs out (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: dts drops to SR as tail runs out
Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2002 11:00 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whenever I play a print in DTS (2 drawer unit) the sound switches from Digital to Stereo as the tail at the end of the feature runs through the projector. You can imagine the noise in the auditorium. What causes this and how can I fix it?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-20-2002 11:36 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to assume a couple things here: You say the print drops from digital to SR at the end. Do you mean that after the automation has changed you out to non-sync, the DTS forces the processor back into SR and the tail comes thru the sound system? (assuming that you are running automation).

My second assumption is that you are running the DTS thru a USL processor. (the only processor I have ever seen this occur on)

The solution is easy: Either:

-Add an extra 'ending cue' to the film just as the rating tag changes to the tail (if your automation supports this feature- CFS autos do, for example).

or

-Remove the tail and add about 20-30 feet of plain black leader to the end of the print, and place the ending cue on that leader near the tail, this way when the DTS defaults and brings the unit from digital to SR it will have occurred before the processor switches into non-sync.

-Aaron

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-20-2002 12:01 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You didn`t write what main processor and automation you have. If you connect dts to a CP500 for instance, there is a logic interface board which is mounted on the CP`s automation input. There are a few jumpers which are set to configure what the dts does in the event of digital dropping out or at the end of the show. There is an end-of-show-cue included in the dts code and it usually pulses the CP into non-sync if correctly configured. Configurations with standard processor types can be admired in the dts manual available from www.film-tech.com .

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-20-2002 01:46 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A simple and effective albeit more labor intensive solution is to put some black leader on the end and put the end of show cue on that. Then DTS will drop out and pulse the CP to SR before the automation cue takes it to NS. Right now your end of show cue is going through and the automation is pulsing the CP to NS before the DTS track has run out and when it does you get pulsed to SR.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-20-2002 03:04 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A look into the dts-6 manual revealed to me that the non-sync function I described applies only to the dts-6D, not the dts-6 ("with the two drawers")! Sorry!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-20-2002 03:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The older DTS6 units do that
put some black film (I usually use old mag stock) and place the cue on it after the 4 sec default period
Alternately I have wired a relay in line with the SR comand from the DTS that opens it if the nonsync has been pulsed

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-20-2002 04:07 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The older DTS6 units do that
I am confused now (I am generally confused anyway, but now by this topic as well) Do you mean that they can pulse the processor to non-sync like the dts-6D after all? I didn`t find anything about that in the manual.
The alternate relay solution is probably the best idea.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2002 04:21 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first out in a DTS unit it did exactly what you describe.

My solution was to wire a relay that switched the control line of the DTS so that when the shutter was open the DTS could control sound formats as it needed. Once the shutter had closed the relay dropped out so the DTS could not control any sound formats.

The other thing I didn't like was that DTS can switch to Non-Sync itself at the end of a film. So I never connect the Non-Sync control line to the DTS.

Regards

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-20-2002 05:05 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A common problem caused by that function used to be that the logic board for the CP500 came from the factory with the non-sync jumper set so that the dts-6D would pulse the CP500 to softkey 8 for non-sync. Most installations had the CD player connected to non-sync input 1 which is usually selected from softkey 7. Now at the end of the show the automation would select softkey 7 for non-sync and then dts would pulse the CP500 to softkey 8 and so switch off the music again. Of course this could be changed very easily but I have NEVER seen an installation where it had been done the right way and of course most operators couldn`t know what the cause for the problem was.

Back to my earlier question: can some dts-6 pulse to non-sync?

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2002 05:14 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl,

I bet you have an old logic board from the DTS-6 player to the CP. See if the logic board (that connects the DTS via "BS22" cable -part of the big 50-pin cable- to the CP) has components or just traces. If no components, then you have an old logic board.

The logic board wtih components will block the pulse to go back to analog at the show end. You will still need to tell automation to go to NONSYNC at show end (true for the DTS-6, 2-drive player; the DTS-6D, 3-drive player, does this automatically).

If you have old logic boards, please send me an email with the CP model. I'll need the quantity and theater shipping address as well.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2002 07:14 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a bit OT: but how do you manage end films in your theaters? I usually have the print stop in the projector BEFORE the tails come...

Bye

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-20-2002 09:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio -- how do you do that? Assuming a platter/automation show, most automations in the US are designed to have a "end of show" cue, which will close the changeover douser and switch the sound to non-sync (and often turn off the exciter lamp as well). The lamp normally stays lit, though, and the film will continue to tail out. Motor and lamp shut down when the failsafe drops.

The only exception to this that I have seen is the "intermission" mode on Maxi-10 automations, which I've never actually seen anyone use. The idea is that, in the intermission mode, the end-of-show cue will kill the lamp and motor and activate the countdown timer to start the next show; this is obviously only useful if you happen to have two different features spliced together on the same platter deck and in the same format.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-20-2002 09:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many automations that can have a show end stop cue, though most of them were intended for automated intermission use. I know the UA barcode automation was designed specifically so UA could run Will Rogers, stop the show and fire up the timer, then restart.

Of course the fabulous CA21 automation can handle this effortlessly. You can even set up the CA21 to do loop interlocks with only a splice required so the projectors and system never have to be rethreaded. But getting back to the point, even a CA21 can fix that dts fallback problem. [Big Grin]

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2002 03:12 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Cinemeccanica Vector 1000 with platters. If we set the film as you said, we would have 16 projectors buzzing in alarm, with all the "programs" not ended to be reset manually from the central PC.

As I said we discharge the projector manually at the end of the feature!

Bye

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-21-2002 05:42 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original cam driven cinemecanica automation was that way as well
You could add a relay to bypass the failsafe after the dowser closes to prevent the alarm
done that on several of the older ones useing the unused excitor lamp contact

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: