Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Color shifts in LOTR (Two Towers) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Color shifts in LOTR (Two Towers)
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-19-2002 05:45 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What causes a picture to suddenly lose color? I've got a couple of reels where the picture goes really blue for a second or two, then either goes fine or shifts to another color. In one case, it's about the last 30 seconds before the end of the reel. Does this have something to do with a whacky printer... or something else?.. hopefully not my eyes!

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-19-2002 05:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably one of the 3 printer lights failing or miss reading the punch tape for the timing cues (newer printer use a PC)

Chris Tyson
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2002 06:08 PM      Profile for Chris Tyson   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Tyson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 2 prints and both have like a ripple effect of the color going in a downward motion in several different parts of the movie. I thought it was the lamp flickering for a second, but I have never saw a lamp do that (ripple effect) before. So I checked the other print and it does it also. Anyone else have this or do I need to get me some new reels in here?

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-19-2002 06:20 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it happens adjacent a lab splice, it can be "fogging" from the safelight.

--jhawk

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-19-2002 06:31 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, Could what you're seeing be Wavy Line Syndrome?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-19-2002 06:37 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lightstruck.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-19-2002 07:44 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What we have is not the wavy line syndrome... though I always wondered what that was, too. Thanks for the link.

this is a definite (jolting) loss of 1 or 2 colors for a moment, so I'm thinking the exposure light explanation comes closest. It isn't patterned like non-uniform chemistry or such... it affects the entire image suddenly.

Chris Tyson
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2002 07:44 PM      Profile for Chris Tyson   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Tyson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I believe that's what it could be. Thanks, Chris.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-19-2002 09:32 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like safelight fogging, which on print film, is usually an overall cyan or blue coloration over the width of the film (not just the picture area). Here's what Kodak wrote to help labs avoid these problems:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/illumination/page01.blind

Mark DeLettera
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2002 07:52 AM      Profile for Mark DeLettera   Email Mark DeLettera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I did plenty of Safelight testing on various print films here at Kodak, it sounds to me like the symptoms of safelight fogging.
Without seeing the film, I guess that the printer lights failing, as Gordy mentioned, is indeed a possibility.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-23-2002 12:07 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that too once or twice in "The Two Towers", both times after a lab splice.

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2002 08:55 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this on "Stuart Little 2". Both on or near a lab splice. The picture would go blue then the lab splice would come, then it would go blue-ish again. I have the wavy line syndrome on Star Trek: Nemesis.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-23-2002 09:42 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had to replace reels 6 & 8. Reel 9 had some of that wavy line syndrome in it, but it got in just under the radar here & I didn't really notice it much until I sat in the auditorium last night. It's not too bad, but noticeable to anyone who knows what they're looking for.

Reel 8 had a bad section, roughly 15 feet long. It started with the colors, including sound track, dissolving to a very pale blue. At one point, the picture looks like it hits a pre-printing lab splice, and the image gets even more pale. Then, it suddenly goes completely white... with what looks like an attempt in the middle to return, but only for half a frame. Then the whole process reverses, including lab splice (not on the print) to roughly 50% image... then everything fades back in, including full density in the sound track. Wierd... first time I've seen that... much less in the middle of a reel.

Reel 8 just had that flashy-color shifting we've been chatting about already.

The new reels arrived from Deluxe, Hollywood.

[Confused] Coincidentally, that's where the replacement reel I had to order on Star Trek came from... [Confused]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-24-2002 07:08 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the magenta edge print identification of the film batch? It may be that the film is more prone to safelight fogging if a higher than normal percentage of reels is affected with blue/cyan safelight fog.

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2003 11:52 AM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it last night at a diferent theatre than mine. The beginning of Reel 6 starts out with the frame line just below the top part of the screen. Fifteen seconds later when I was about to go out and complain to the usher, the screen flickered for a second or two and the visable frameline disappered back to normal. There was no noticeable lab splice that I have seen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: