Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Replacement Century Shutters

Author Topic: Replacement Century Shutters
Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2002 11:55 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to know the cost and availability of a 2-blade, 90? shutter for a Century/Westar SA, preferably used if cheap. I need to replace a pair of very odd shutters that have glass "ports" put into them.
I need two of them, and I am tryng to weigh the options of simply getting new or used ones vs. somehow covering the glass "ports" in the ones we currently have. Any information or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-18-2002 12:10 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ports? What was it used for?

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2002 01:02 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a low quality pic. I'm a little baffled by the design and its original intent. I would assume that these were initially installed for more light output, but they are just causing flicker at this point. I either need to replace them with solid shutters, or cover the glass ports.

It may not come through in the picture, but the larger glass "port " on the left also has a scrim sort of material mated with the glass. All of the glass is broken and/or coming apart. Someone who used to work in this booth remembers the glass being colored, possibly red and blue(?!) on the smaller pieces on the right. The shutter was timed so that the glass with the scrim was over the gate when the intermittent was turning. I ran some quick tests with Gaffers tape covering the glass on the right, and that pretty much eliminated the flicker. if I can get cheap replacements, I will just replace these. Any info would be appreciated.

-

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-18-2002 01:16 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
90 degree Century shutters are very easy to find, any theatre supply house can get them. There are not really that expensive, either.

That picture you posted is weird. Is there a possibly that someone was trying to design a drive-in shutter to get more light to the screen? Or maybe something that could serve as a 5-wing shutter for synchronization? That shutter would give 120 hz per second on a screen, divided by 4 gives the same as TV - 30hz.

In an old drive-in I worked at, the screen was so under-powered, and we punched a hole in the flicker blade of the shutter to try to get more light out there. It didn't do that much good, but it helped.

Just a stab in the dark.....

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2002 01:20 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
Years ago shutters like that were used for booths with mazda lamphouses to get as much light as possible. The flicker blade did sometimes have a blue glass in it to help change the color tempeture of the light. I have a couple of front shutters from Simplex and Power's machines with this blue glass or gell in it. Rear shutters had a lot more heat on them so filter gells did not last too long so some used glass.

Any shutter from old Simplex or Century projectors will work for you and I am sure someone out there will have some.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-18-2002 06:49 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I can see cheating on the flicker blade but what point would there be to glass on the blade thats supposed to hide the film advance?

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2002 07:00 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, do you think ikt could have een a balance issue? The shutter is made of cast aluminum, therefore fairly light. The two double circles of glass could have added a fair amount of weight. Perhaps the designer thought that balancing with more glass, and allowing a bit of light through, on the other side would be an easy means of balance. That seems far fetched, but this shutter seems like a bit of a bad idea to begin with.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-18-2002 07:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't throw that shutter away. Donate it to a museum as they are very unique and scarce. Eastman house would be a good place to start with.
Mark

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2002 08:57 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of Drive Ins we cut shutters real small and never noticed a shutter ghost because of low light on the screen. Mazda light was also very weak and shutter ghosting may not be a problem. All three pieces of glass may have been blue. I ran 1000 watt mazda lamps with shutters a little over 70 degree width with no ghost.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-19-2002 01:33 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It still makes little sense. If you're going to cheat and accept a little travel ghost for better illumination then why not just cut both blades back a certain amount and leave it at that? This is positively bizarre.

Balance? Sure...but why not one (or two) on both sides, not one on one and two on the other.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-19-2002 07:03 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Todd Gustavson is the equipment technology curator at the George Eastman House museum:

http://www.eastman.org/11_coltech/11_index.html

http://www.eastman.org/1_geninfo/1_index.htm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: