Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 3800+ tickets-LOTR 2: 12:01 AM Show

Author Topic: 3800+ tickets-LOTR 2: 12:01 AM Show
Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2002 05:15 AM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so we had a special 12:01 am advanced showing of LOTR 2 tonight, late night 17-Dec/early 18-Dec. we had one last year for the first one. sold over 2100 tickets for it. this year, however, we sold over 3800 tickets! had 6 prints (two of which were on loan from another theatre) running all 24 theatres. it was great. it has to be a record for most tickets sold for a single show. it just HAS to be!

oh, btw... our total seating capacity is 4719 for 24 theatres. we would prolly be able to comfortably seat 4100. that means only 300 away from selling out the entire theatre. WOW!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2002 06:21 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way to Go, AMC Lennox 24. This is especially impressive since The Ohio State University, which this theatre is adjacent to, is already out for winter break.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2002 01:06 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AMC Bay Street 16 is a brand new theatre that opened up December 17th. They only have one movie. It's in Emeryville, CA right next to Oakland and the Bay Bridge.

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
(PG-13) 2 hrs. 59 min. Buy Tickets
06:00am, 07:00am, 08:00am, 09:00am, 10:00am, 11:00am, Noon, 1:00pm, 2:00pm, 3:00pm, 4:00pm, 5:00pm, 6:00pm, 7:00pm, 8:00pm, 9:00pm, 10:00pm, 11:00pm

They are going to run it on all 16 screens for two days. Then they introduce new films.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2002 01:09 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean that each print was running interlocked in four theaters? Impressive.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-18-2002 02:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I don't understand is why 6 prints were needed for only one show. One single print could have easily been interlocked through all 24 projectors. Just send the latecomers to the auditoriums at the end of the path!

Joe if you think interlocking 4 auditoriums is impressive, be sure to check out the Interlocking 101 video which is downloadable from thiis site. Also you can check out the Picture Warehouse page for pics from the same video.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2002 03:08 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I have watched that video, but I was not fooled by your low budget special effects. Try harder next time. [Smile]

Seriously though, the video was incredibly impressive, but most likely done for fun without a looming start time for the film, no?

I am impressed by Brian's theater because of the coordination it must have taken to prepare the theater for a big midnight opening with all 24 screens basically all seating and starting at the same time.

By the way Joe, what was the delay in the start between the first and last projector?

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2002 04:10 PM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the sync path was pretty awesome. the bare minimum amount a prints we need is 4 because we have 4 separate booths. our 4 biggest houses use 2 booths which means we would have 2 prints for the 10 houses on each side. one of these days, though, im gonna sync that building with one print!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-18-2002 04:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty awesome, but I really see no reason why one big continuous loop with one print could not have been made such that each showtime had staggered starts and by the time it went back to #1, it was time to start up again. Thus, start them running and then just let them go. [Big Grin]

Of course with 4 booths where there will be audience traffic, you would want to be careful about your film path to keep it out of the patron's grasp.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2002 05:09 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian -

Comfortably seat 4,100? Why exactly do you have 4,700 seats in the building then? That's only 86% occupancy. 100% man ... that's a SELLOUT ... Granted, 3,800 is impressive, but still only 81% occupancy! Sell those extra 919 seats! That's what they're there for!

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2002 07:44 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, the AMC Lennox 24 must be a stadium theater. [Big Grin] You don't want to sell the seats at ground level unless you absolutely must.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2002 01:09 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why have ground level seats if your not going to use them. Thats just stupid. I say sell out the entire theatre.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-19-2002 01:11 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why have crappy seats that you don't use?

House allowance... just to bring it up. [Smile]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-19-2002 09:16 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About 400 people watched the 12:01am show here in Lawton at the Carmike (including me --I have only now completely recovered from the lack of sleep and having to work early the next day). The theater has two prints; screens 4 and 5 have a little over 200 seats each. The lesser mall theater downtown sold out its three midnight shows.

Not bad attendance at all for some smaller sized city in Oklahoma.

As sleepy as I was, I did think the movie was pretty cool. But that scene where Frodo fell in the water and had the ghouls after him really creeped me out. I lost a little more sleep over that!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: