Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CFS NSP3 Platters - Are There any Mod Ideas or Kits Out There?

Author Topic: CFS NSP3 Platters - Are There any Mod Ideas or Kits Out There?
Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2002 03:50 AM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find myself 'blessed' with 3 of these wonderfully designed [bs] platters.... If you have any, you'll know what I'm talking about. I'd like to know if anyone has any modification ideas or knows of retro-fit kits available to improve these 'platters' ... I use that word loosely.. [Roll Eyes] The way the film flows out of the payout module, combined with no back-tension, can easily cause scratches ... and does! And those motor assemblies ... sounds like a truck has just pulled into the booth [Wink] ..... anyhow I'd love to here your thoughts...

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-19-2002 09:11 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had one for testing purposes a few years ago, and I felt the manufacturing quality was pretty good. The manual had nice, CAD generated drawings. I liked the slightly smaller diameter decks, which were placed lower so shorter people could thread or clean. While not the first, they early-on recognized the benefits of payout heads with no moving parts. They ceased manufacturing shortly after the NSP came out, so I don't think there are too many mods or updates to them.

The only thing I can offer you is the cable that allows you to 'extend' the payout head; One end plugs into the platter, and the other end plugs into the bottom of the payout head so you can adjust it easier. By the time I realized I had not returned the cable, (after the platter went back) they were out of biz.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-19-2002 09:51 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
they early-on recognized the benefits of payout heads with no moving parts.
\

quote:
the cable that allows you to 'extend' the payout head
John, Those platters you had were ESP-3/DreamSpinner, not NSP-3.

The NSP-3 was basically a 'reworking' of the original CFS 'Super Platter', with different style rollers, a beige color tree (black on the last models off the line) and removeable microswitch brains. We used to have the first two NSP3s ever made. Both are now scrap metal, replaced with Strong A-3 last summer. The original 'blue' Supers were far better machines (than the NSP3)!!!

-Aaron

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-19-2002 11:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron said.......

"The original 'blue' Supers were far better machines!!!"

Aaron you have got to be kidding....better than what? Perhaps better than an old Potts with Chevy V-8 points, but not by much. Probably the WORST drive system ever devised in film history......
Around this part of the woods we call them Stupid Platters. You're far better off with the A-3.

Mark

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-20-2002 02:15 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I should have made it a little more clear, seeing that upon further reading it appears that I was saying that the blue Supers were better than Strong A-3's. I was comparing the blue Supers to the NSP3's!!!!!! I replaced all (but one and its going soon) of the blue Supers, and the two NSP3's in Sebastopol with Strong A-3's, and things couldn't be better now! [Smile]

-Aaron

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2002 03:38 AM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It just keeps getting better don't it? [Wink]

I wish I could scrap them

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: