Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hearing Impaired systems

Author Topic: Hearing Impaired systems
Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 04:59 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I haven't looked into this much yet but I thought I might cheat and get an answer here easily. I was working in a theatre that has Ultra Stereo transmitters and a mixture of Ultra Stereo and Arkon headsets. The Ultra Stereos work fine, Arkons work but with static, to the point that I wouldn't want to use them. These are basically the same headset as far as looks but my question is, can I do anything to make them compatible? Also I've never tried Williams headsets but they also look much the same and I wonder if they would work with other systems?

|  IP: Logged

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 05:50 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mike,
Most IR units for theatres run at 95KHz and are compatable. The outer shells are all pretty much the same on the Williams, Phonic Ear and our Ultra brand. The Ultra IRH-601 has the electronis designed by Ultra and have a little better audio quality as compaierd to our IRH-501, which has the same basic electronics as Williams and Phonic Ear. I have never seen a pair of Arkon receiveras that do not have some static in them. I you like you can call me at 805-549-0161 to discuss IR emitters and receivers in more detail.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 04:12 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We recently had to buy Williams radiator panels to replace our old Sennheiser units as we needed to keep the 95khz set up as we have so many headsets at that frequency.

Sennhesier stopped making 95 khz units and now use a Mhz range, can't recall exact frequency.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-14-2002 05:03 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is an IR hearing impaired system configured? What route does the signal take from the processor`s HI output to the listener`s ears?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-14-2002 09:12 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On most movie theatres...a simple 2-cond. shielded cable goes from the processor's "H.I." out directly to the IR (or FM) modulator.

The Modulator can be part of the emitter, like Ultra Stereo's or it can be a two-piece system...like Williams 800 series.

Many booth monitors now also have an "H.I." output if your main processor doesn't have one.

A properly designed processor based HI output is preferred since they are pre-EQ and should emphasize the center channel for improved dialogue.

Steve

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 09:49 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's odd that you guys hear static on the Arkon units. I've got them at my place and the only iisue I've had with them is the power supply going bad....I've never heard or experienced a static issue....Mine are the IR type.

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 06:23 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, the Arkons had static with the Ultra Stereo transmitter but as far as I remember, they did not when used with an Arkon transmitter in another location. I'm going to try a Williams headset with Ultra Stereo and Arkon transmitters just to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks Clint and everyone else...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: