Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Gagging order... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Gagging order...
Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 03:57 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of your guys ever had a gagging order placed on you as a result of taking part in this forum. [Frown]

If you take part in and reply to a post then you are fair game as far as I am concerned.... to go bleeting afterwards is quite simply pathetic! I am not advocating direct and personal attacks but freedom of speech and opinions, heated at times though it may be, are to be expected. We are after all adults.

I have always and will always stand by anything I say and the fact that I take part in a public forum is evidence of that. I have no need to hide and have more self respect for myself so have no need to.

I have of course advised the author of the letter exactly where to go! By the way I cannot mention any names because we are now cleary part of some secret operation.... anyone reading this post should of course eliminate themselves immediatley!!

I will continue to take part in whatever forum I choose especially as I access the internet with an account that I pay for with my own very hard earned cash!!

Its not as if I've ever given advise or done anything that's electrocuted anyone.... god forbid I should every be so stupid!

However, I cannot explain that comment for fear of..... I'm not too sure exactly. Thank god for employment law in this country its very 'constructive'.

We are no longer surfs who have to touch our forehead and bow in gratitude.... Freedom to have an opion or to ask for advice and the opinions of others is clearly something that's fine in principle but not in reality. [Big Grin]

So how many of you are cowering in silence?

|  IP: Logged

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 04:17 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my Usenet sigfile I used to mention my elected office in my union local. Then my business agent (a prior one, not the current one) returned from a national meeting. He told me that he received complaints from others at the meeting about a member of his local posting "trade secrets" on the Internet. So I dropped my sigfile.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 04:31 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that.... but what exactly were those trade secrets you were passing on... were you getting a good back hander for it? I think we all need to know how much money we could earn. [Smile]

People who live in the dark ages, where you didn't know what was going on in a town 5 miles away, really have to get their act together.

You and I are many hundreds of miles apart sharing experiences within minutes.... where's the threat in that?

Knowledge and shared experience are power.... maybe that's the problem?

I hope you've not been totally silenced by your experience.

Of course not... you're on a public forum and have the self respect to share.... thanks.

God... here I am thanking someone for having an opinion.... what has the world come to.
Regards.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-13-2002 06:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicolor folks are lurking and (supposedly) have been ordered not to participate.

And I know that certain people from certain companies are lurking and "following up" on posts with sales calls, because I've received such.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 06:24 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they offer you a freebe?

If not I hope you gave them the [fu]

Unsolicited call's deserve nothing less...... [Big Grin]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-13-2002 07:14 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never had a gag order placed on me in a public forum. I say what I feel. I have told some companies to [fu] from time to time, and one company was successful in blackballing me from employment. Another tried but was unsuccessful. As a matter of fact, that unsuccessful attempt actually helped me. Both incidents were due to personal grudges. I have to admit that up to 10 years ago, I was a very difficult person to get along with.

The two companies that blackballed me (or tried to) are now bankrupt. [Razz]

I have received some communications from some companies that "were not very nice" in what they said. Again, the [fu] has been issued to those companies. I just schrugged them off as [bs] and let it go at that, because there was no personal attacks written.

I stand by what I say until proven wrong to the point where I have been convinced that I am wrong. When that happens, I do apologize and stand corrected.

Personal attacks and character assassination are just flat wrong in any public forum.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 07:23 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunatly there is always politics involved.....

However if someone participates in a forum then they agree to be criticised.

No employer has the right to attempt to gag anyone... and as you have already stated I too am happy to admit when I am wrong or mistaken.

So I have issued the [fu] ... quite a nice feeling.

I'm too old to be intimidated and have too much personal respect for myself. And yes I agree it can work in my, our, favour. After all why get involved in an open forum if you don't want to be identified.
I'm no fool, but thats not to say I can't be foolish. But I'm not bought at any price... I value myself more than anyone can afford.

Thanks for your contribution Paul.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 12-13-2002 07:25 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually referred here by a past company that I was employed by. I have never received a gag order by any company that I have worked for past or present.

Ken wrote "I will continue to take part in whatever forum I choose especially as I access the internet with an account that I pay for with my own very hard earned cash!!"

That is one of the best statements I have heard on this subject in a long time, I just wish some companies would take that to mind. Free speech is a wonderful thing, it’s a shame when people try to take that from you. I don't think I have noticed anyone share any secret trade information that most experienced theatre folks don't already know!

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-13-2002 07:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't MegaStar Cinemas force a Film-Techer named J.C. Cowles to remove all of his posts and never participate here identifying themself as a MegaStar employee or face termination???

[fu] MegaStar [bs]

-Aaron

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 07:35 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well hypocrasy is very rife when there is a percived gain to be had.

I'll apologise for the spelling in advance... my mates Mr G & Mr T are here [beer]

Its an unfortunate fact that compaines often try and gag people not because they are wrong but because they are covering thier own back.... this was made clear in the final sentence of the letter to me... "I am not in this letter addressing the validity or otherwise of your comments"... TALK ABOUT STANDING ON THE SIDE LINES!

The individual, who I won't name, cannot even say I was wrong. He... is that too much information, hides behind comfortable statements that allow easy alignment to one side or the other. With hypocrits that's normally the winning side!

I do appreciate any participation in this thread.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 07:42 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Aaron...

well I hope he told them to go [sex] them selves....

I do appreciate that its easy for someone on the outside to give advice, its easy as you don't have to live with the results!!

There is always an element of the company do pay your wages.... but unconditional complience is not acceptable in any circumstance.

What happened to the guy.....

I of couse don't align myself to any comments in case my employers or their contractors take offence. [sex] [fu] [bs] now how did all of that happen?

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 07:52 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I think of it is there any chance of having an instant gremlin that does not show the recipient smilng....

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 07:58 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the most "secret" suggestion I made on rec.arts.movies.tech was to place a scrap film band around a large print on a platter.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 08:02 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What happened to the guy.....
He seemed to completely comply with his empoyers demands, and then never posted again. I was astounded to know that his emplyer was so set against him trying to do a good job by learning things from the people that participate in this forum. [Frown]

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 08:12 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a radical concept... but you can pick up nasty things from other people..... Inspiration being the most disgusting of them all.

So the easy way around it is to isolate them. Not everyone has the strength of personality to give the [fu] and walk away feeling they have done the right thing. We all have very different circumstances and demands on our resources.

Me, I'm on my own.... is it any wonder, so I only have to answere to myself. If I can't be honest about what I think or believe then I may as well as not be here at all.

An employer is entitled to 'Buy' a good days work for a fair days pay..... I have no problems with that at all! The work I perform on an average day would surprise many of you and I offer it happily and willingly. However, my mind is my own and is not on offer at any price.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: