Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Smart TA-2000 Power Amp: No Power

Author Topic: Smart TA-2000 Power Amp: No Power
Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2002 09:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a few days now, one of our power amps, a Smart TA-2000 has been refusing to turn on in the morning with the rest of the equipment on the rack. The power switch has to be toggled a few times before we get any response from it. While it's not a show threatening problem (yet), it has me a little perplexed & concerned. Has anybody else had any similar trouble with this model, and if so what did you do to correct it? Thanks!
-Andrew

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-12-2002 02:07 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of two basic things:

1. A bad power switch, power cord, loose fuse and/or connections somewhere inside the amp.
2. If the amp has a switching power supply, it might need some "manual excitation" to get it started. It sounds like some computer power supplies I have encountered. Shortly thereafter, they failed.

I would suggest you obtain another amp while you are getting yours serviced.

Not much help, I know...but it is a thought.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2002 08:16 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,

Paul has some good ideas. However, the TA2000 does not have a switching power supply. I don't immediately know what is wrong, but if you will contact the factory at 1-800-457-6278, we can arrange to have your amp repaired or perhaps exchanged. Ask for our service manager, Don Goulart. He will be glad to help you out.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2002 10:08 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I had already checked the connections and the fuses earlier and they were all solid. And after I went back in this morning I noted that indeed it did not have a switching power supply. I'm going to go back in a little while and try a couple more magic tricks on it, but if nothing changes, I'll make the call sometime today. Thanks for the assist, guys.
-Andrew

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-12-2002 03:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible that the speaker protection muting relay is notpullingin on powerup

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2002 05:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well when the problem first occured I made it a point to check the relays, but they all seemed to be firing ok. And when a print is run during this problem, we are able to get sound on the booth monitor, just not in the theater, so I think that would rule out the muting relay. I'm going back in tonight so I'll be sure to give all the relays another look.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-12-2002 08:43 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am confused a bit. Was the monitor monitoring the amp out or the processor out
If it was the amp out then the amp is okay
You don't by chance have one of those monitors tht has a backup amp for the centre channel in it?
I have had a lot of grief with those [Frown] [bs]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: