Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technical and commercial questions about DTS

Author Topic: Technical and commercial questions about DTS
Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 07:39 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work for a local company (not multinational) but it has 10 multitheatres and 40 screens more or less.
The owners had almost the 80% of theatres in Valencia but now these days are gone with the arrival of Kinepolis, Warner, etc so the owners asked the employees about ideas to improve the service.
I must say that the film presentation is brilliant thanks to "old projectionists" with more of 30 years of experience but to make people come to our screens this is not enough.
All the projectionist agree with one of our strenghts is that if you wanna hear a DTS soundtrack you have to come to our 3 bigger screens (none of the other companies installed DTS in Valencia ??????)
The problem is, how can I tell the people I have DTS?.
Of course we have the two traylers (they are a little used) before every show but I mean, does DTS offer any kind of products like posters, booklets, standees, something like the WOW trayler of THX, etc that help to inform the people?.
How can my company get this things. Directly from DTS Spain or from an authorized dealer like Proyecson?

In the technical aspect, we think that the first thing to do is install a DTS ES adapter in our 3 DTS 6 units but the first answer was: How much it cost?? so I transcribe the question.

Another idea is to make shows in V.O. ´cause I read here that although I have a castillian spanish dubbed version, if I play the english disks, the picture will sound in english ´cause the timecode is the same for all lenguages. Am I right?.
Is it difficult to get disks of the original version in other countries?.

Well, sorry for my english and thanks in advance.

By the way, in one of our prints of HP2 both SR and SRD tracks failed in a few scenes. We change the bad print to the DTS screen and NO PROBLEM.

|  IP: Logged

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 08:10 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miguel,

Karen will answer you in a more detailed way but in the meantime...

DTS has many promo stuff: trailers, posters, stickers etc. But I think that DTS trailer on the very head of the film at the right fader setting IS the right way to advertise it.

VO: if your country didn't ask DTS for a new timecode (i.e. for a cut part or a reel that has been modified just for your country) there will be no problem, Karen can confirm this.

In my experience I've learn that a well calibrated DTS system is ABSOLUTELY reliable and error free!!

Bye

Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 08:35 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see you Antonio!!!!

Thanks for your quick answer.

Of course both Sonic Landscape and the "other" trayler are the best way of showing what DTS can do, but for instance in our THX screen there is a kind of electroluminiscent poster and we usually had booklets explaining what THX was but we only have one little sticker and a kind of hanging thing of DTS made of paper.

By the way, there is any special trayler for DTS ES?

Is very expensive and possible to convert and old DTS 6 unit in DTS ES?

Tutto benne al tuo nuovo cinema aspetto. [Smile]

Un saludo

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 08:54 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miguel,

You sure are right that it would be nice to have some technical information on how DTS works to distribute to customers. Karen, how bout a nice 11x17 bi-fold glossy handout?

As for adding DTS-ES, you certainly can add it to your DTS-6; it's not a board that goes inside, it's a seperate module. You can do it with a DTS-ES unit that lists for USD$1875; that's probably best because the DTS decoder can tell it when to switch into ES automatically (though I don't know if that works with the DTS-6; it works with the DTS-6D). You could also use a Dolby SA-10 (USD$2625 list), or a Component Engineering CD420 (USD$950 list).

Or, you could do it yourself with an old CP50 or other analog cinema processor. Just feed the Ls/Rs into the L/R inputs and take the C channel as the back surround and L/R as Ls/Rs.

--jhawk

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2002 09:13 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"....if I play the english disks, the picture will sound in english ´cause the timecode is the same for all lenguages. Am I right?...."

Not all the time. Many times versions are cut different for international use, so getting english disks from the US (ie) won't work. If you can get the english disks for the international version you won't have a problem. Each film version has it's specific time code and unless the DTS unit can read the time code off the film and match it to the disks it won't play.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2002 12:44 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that Dolby sent us little brochures explaining how it all worked, along with promo buttons. Whenever I came down to the lobby to "re-stock" the brochures, I always got into a discussion with a customer or two about the system. They were very interested!

This would be great for DTS, (IMHO its operation is cooler than Dolby's!) as something to give those interested customers.

Miguel -- DTS also has 1-sheet posters that are very nice. We have them permenantly displayed in front of the 2 DTS auditoriums at my current theater. I also like the gold/shiny DTS Plaques. They really get the customer's attention.

=TMP=

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2002 12:52 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miguel,

You can get free marquee signs, DTS promo trailers, and posters for your theater. Please send me an email on what you'd like and I can have them send to you. I'll also need the shipping address for your theater.

In regards to the DTS-ES, it's list price is $1,875.00 USD. We only sell through dealers and they can give you a better price. All our dealers are listed on our web site at www.dtsonline.com/cinema.

In regards to the VO, we have a unit called he DTS-CSS that might be of interest. This unit can be programmed to send out alternate languages. Let me know if you are interested in learning more.

If you would rather play the film in another language, contact the film distribuator and order the film in that language. Sometimes all you need are new discs but if changes have been made from the original, then you'll need new print and discs. Your distribuator should know.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: