Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Harry Potter 2 Changeover dots (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Harry Potter 2 Changeover dots
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 12:43 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
We just screened Harry Potter two in a changeover theater. In my great amazement none of the nine reels of the film had the changeover dots on the top right of the picture signifying the changeover start and picture. Is this only on this print or do others have noticed it to?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 12:47 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What lab did the printing? Others here have reported that some European labs are no longer putting changeover cues on the printing negative, assuming all theatres are using platters --- NOT!

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 01:02 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
US prints (not sure what lab) had regular IP lab cues, but they were extremely dark and hard to see. This was the case on the first Harry Potter film as well.

--jhawk

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 01:05 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
US prints would likely be from Technicolor Laboratories in North Hollywood or Mirabel (Montreal) Quebec, who usually handle Warner Bros. printing.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 01:26 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a print of "Nicholas Nickleby", that came from Deluxe
London. On the first three reels the cues were so hard to see.
The rest of the print looked OK. The film is a very darkly
shot feature (Sup35). The Sup35 answer print looked great.
But the director rejected the print. He later told us, that
the reason we could not see the cues right. Was Deluxe got
a bad batch of Kodak stock. That they used. I have had
some really nice prints come out of Deluxe London.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 03:01 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Gabel wrote: "He later told us, that
the reason we could not see the cues right. Was Deluxe got
a bad batch of Kodak stock. That they used. I have had
some really nice prints come out of Deluxe London." [Confused]

Never heard of a print that was too "dark" to see the cues being a film stock issue. If the lab could not produce a print to their liking due to the film's sensitometry, they would immediately use another batch of stock.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 03:28 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John
That's what they told the director. It was not a release print.
United Artists sent this print for a screening. We did not know
till the day before that it was going to be a composite print.
They had booked the screening and we were going to use the
Sup35 answer print with MO's. This may have been a rush job
by Deluxe London. I have gotten prints from different labs
that post-production have rejected on other films. Because of
stock issues. On "Gangs of New York", I ran so many reels for
Marty & Thelma . They looked at different Kodak stocks for printing.
But the "Nicholas" print was very dark in the printing.
You could not see the cues without a lupe. I ran the Sup35
answer print for the director, a week earlier. It looked
very nice for being Sup35.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 03:59 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Preferring one film for contrast (e.g., 2383 vs. 2393)--- maybe. But the entire film being too "dark" is likely just a printing issue that a few less points of printer TRIM would solve. [Roll Eyes]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 04:27 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But a punched dot is going to be black regardless of the timing of the overall print with only minor variations due to processing (& possible silver retention). And the ink on the hole edge is going to print clear or nearly so. Naturally no one is going to lighten the print density just to make the dots stand out nor is there a need to with the halo (inked) dots.

If I think some cues may have visibility problems I give them the Clint Phare treatment. That's what the bench inspection is for. As Holiday Inns used to say: The best surprise is no surprise.

I ran both HP's here via C/O but have no specific recollection about the dots. I also worked test runs of both in workprint (native Super 35) form but those ran as single strands via platter and MUT.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 04:34 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steves right if you can't see the cue, properly I give it
the Clint Phare treatment. Those cues on that print were
black on a very dark surface. (No Halos) I used the footage
counter and a lupe, to find and mark those reels.

I scribe only in extreme cases. But most of the time I use
small paper dots like our editors use.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-09-2002 04:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So instead of permanently scratching in cues on a print that is distracting to the audience and also may not play in a changeover house again, why not make an edgemark with either CPI's EdgeMark tape or a strip of opaque yellow splicing tape along the edge of the film? Once you see the tape pull off of the reel, just hit the motor switch right as it hits the gate. From there if you don't want to make a second edgemark you can watch the outgoing projector's framing window to know when to hit the changeover. I've done this countless times on repertory and one-of-a-kind prints where I didn't want to make any marks on the film that would live with it forever. The audience will never know and the tape can be easily peeled off when you are finished with the print.

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 04:47 PM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you still use change-overs?
In one theater I work at (a small cinema with 2 auditoriums) we put Harry Potter reel 1 t/m 4 on spool 1. At the end of reel 4 is the intermission. Reel 5 t/m 9 is on spool 2 so you can thread that one and start it after the intermission. You can rewind spool 1 during the intermission and thread another projector with it if needed.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-09-2002 04:48 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't even need to watch the out-going projector. Just count to eight.

I've also found that a single piece of clear splicing tape across the motor cue frame works good. If you don't here it click you'll likely be able to pick it out on the screen if you're really watching.

As for changeovers, we do them because... intermissions suck! [Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 05:28 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick said"Why would you still use change-overs?"
There are many machines that are limited due to design to a 4000' reel max or in some cases 2000' due to the magazines being either part of the base or the mech.
Also in the world there are many changeover theatres still

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-09-2002 06:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad brings up an interesting question: if one gets a print without cue marks, is it better to make temporary cues (stickers, splicing/edgemark tape, grease pencil dots, etc.) or permanent cues (with a Clint Phare device)?

Generally, I will use the Clint Phare, on the assumption that it's better to add permanent cues "properly" than to risk the print going to a house without a Clint Phare device where someone might use a hole punch or other inappropriate tool to add cues.

On the other hand, I agree that many prints may never play in a changeover house again (or, if they do, they might be shown on large reels, where cues aren't necessary every 20 minutes). Thus, for once-only shows, I've occasionally used a grease pencil to add (messy, but easily removable) cue marks, though I might have to pick up some of the edgemark tape. Does the edgemark tape work on 16mm, too?

I don't personally find properly made cues to be distracting (unless there is more than one pair per reel), but I can see why others might. I've probably spent more time (hours) running platter houses, but the vast majority of theatres where I have worked (over the last five years or so) have had changeover booths, so I can definitely see both sides to this.

Thoughts?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: