Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP55 power supply blowing fuses

Author Topic: CP55 power supply blowing fuses
Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 08:34 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one of my theaters they have one CP55 that has twice in the last 18 months blown fuses.
Symptoms are as follows:
On power-up at the beginning of the day (via circuit breakers) the main fuse blows and the systems stays in Bypass.
System is turned off and main fuse is replaced.
Back on only to blow the fuse again.
I removed the power supply and voltage regulator to look for anything obvious (you know, fried components). Nothing.
After putting the power supply and voltage regulator card back in, replaced the fuses and it's ok.
Then I removed the power supply and voltage card again and cleaned the contacts and reinstalled.
This happened 18 months ago and a month ago in the same house.
Any ideas?

The CP55 has been converted to split surrounds (i.e. backplane mods and cat 441 card)
Other than the fuse issue there have been no other problems with this processor.
Also, there are no surge suppressors on any of the booth equip at this theater, but it is a large multiplex and none of the other processors have blown fuses (CP500's, 65's and 55's).
And I did use 600mA fuses not 1/5A fuses as some are prone to doing.
Jonathan

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-09-2002 08:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have another CP55 in the same location I'd start by swapping the power supply and regulator card to another unit. See if this problem follows those two items. Then you know where the problem is. If the problem persists in the original unit with another power supply and regulator card then you have a component failing on another card and you'll have to do the same swap out thing to determine which card is at fault. Obviously this could take a long time but as this is an intermittent problem but it is about the only way. The 55 is a great unit and worth repairing...better sounding than anything new on the market except the Panastereo.
Mark @ CLACO

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 02:23 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I already switched the two cards with another unit (after this second time) Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the original post [Embarrassed]
Jonathan

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 02:45 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the question is did it stay with the cards or with the processor

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-09-2002 02:53 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
switched the two cards with another unit (after this second time)
Doesn't sound like it has failed yet, after switching the cards.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 10:04 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it hasn't failed since switching the cards. And if history repeats itself it could take a year or more to happen again. And when it does, then I'll be able to take the next step, whether replacing or repairing faulty cards or switching more cards around.
I'm just checking to see if anyone else has experencied a problem like this so I could get another idea to check out.
Jonathan

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-12-2002 08:35 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you still have the original regulator boards in your CP-55 (Cat. 249), I'd replace it to the Cat. 249A...The Cat 249s were MUCH more prone to failure and I haven't met one that hadn't started to blacken the underside of the board. The Cat. 249A has better filtration and is easily distinquished by the large capacitors sticking through the metal casing.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: