Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Analyze That- timecode problem? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Analyze That- timecode problem?
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 07:09 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both of my prints are experiencing problems holding the timecode. They are both in auditoriums where we have had no previous problems with our DTS units. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced problems? Print #'s are 4259 and 4260.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-06-2002 08:06 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I had some problems on one of them. I had to make a latteral adjustment on the DTS reader head to correct the problem.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 09:52 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do most of you folks have a multimeter and an oscilloscope in your booth?

I can't imagine making many adjustments "blind"

Perhaps I am too design oriented.

KEN

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2002 12:28 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're also having timecode problems with our print of Analyze That. I've turned off the DTS until so that the processor reverts to Dolby Digital and no sound loss is incurred.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2002 12:34 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon Ken, you must know that any projectionist will do whatever he/she has to do to try and keep the perfomance top-notch, regardless of whether they have the technical test equipment or not.

Darryl's adjustment of the reader was, no doubt done out of fustration, and with his experience with some D.T.S prints (although I find that this re-adjustment is not as necessary as it was in the early days).

There are times when ya just gotta try whatever you think might work to keep the show going, and check it with the proper equipment, later.

The show must go on.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2002 06:39 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Rick,

I have saved a few shows by the seat of my pants over the last 52 years in the business. There is now doubt that clever operators can often save what could be major disasters through their manipulation of a situation. The show always comes first.

Having said that...

My question remains "How many booths are equipped with minimal equipment like a multimeter and an oscilloscope?"

Shaun Flichel
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2002 08:56 AM      Profile for Shaun Flichel   Email Shaun Flichel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet to see a theatres with its own occilliscope, they are a pricy unit, but everybooth should have a multi-meter. The only time I have adjusted the lateral adjustment on the DTS reader is when the led is not on steady during the show, just tweak it one way or the other til the led is steady, and it should be ok.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-07-2002 12:05 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You do not need anything as far as test equipment to make the lateral adjustment. You just want to maintain a steady green light thru out every reel. Where you do not want to make blind adjustments is in the analog a-chain area. So really the lateral adjustment on the dts unit is not blind at all so long as you can maintain a steady green led. There was no frustration in my decision to do this. It was automatic from past experiences.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2002 12:26 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't noticed any problems with the DTS on our print. I try to check all the prints at least at every reel, but being a "projectionist/doorman" they also give me stuff to do downstairs. I'll especially keep an eye on it now. [Smile]

=TMP=

Chris Tyson
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2002 02:51 PM      Profile for Chris Tyson   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Tyson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've got the same problem on our print (0442). We moved it to a dolby digital house and haven't had any problems. We put The Emperors Club in the same house that we had Analyze That in and it works just fine. I didn't want to mess with the reader for that film when everything else runs fine on it.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-07-2002 06:59 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone measured the lateral position of the DTS timecode from the edge of the print on the problem prints? Are all the reels affected? What does the soundtrack application look like? --- does it cover the DTS track?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-07-2002 07:39 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like that would be right near the edge of application. What affect will inconsistency have?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-08-2002 06:50 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the edge of the application weaved in and out of the DTS track, I assume it could add some inconsistency in the ability to read the timecode.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-08-2002 10:42 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print that I ran yesterday (print number in the low 000030s, but not an EK print...just a regular release print) played fine in DTS. Weird.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 09:29 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, the centerline of the DTS time code track should be 0.297 inches (7.54mm) from the reference edge of the print, per SMPTE Recommended Practice RP115.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: