Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "The Pianist" premiere blunder at Loews Century (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: "The Pianist" premiere blunder at Loews Century
Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 04:32 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Today's L.A. Times (on page two of the calander section).

Click this incredibly long link!

Does anyone know what went horribly, horribly wrong?

FROM L.A. TIMES.COM 12/6/02...

Sound problems spoil 'Pianist' premiere screening

By Robert W. Welkos, Times Staff Writer

A glittering night for Hollywood and the elite of Los Angeles' Jewish cultural community came to an abrupt halt Wednesday evening when the North American premiere screening of Roman Polanski's Holocaust drama "The Pianist" had to be canceled because of technical problems with the theater sound system at Loews Cineplex Century City.

The cancellation proved an embarrassment for Focus Features, the tony new art house label of Universal Pictures, which had invited hundreds of guests to attend the screening as a benefit for the Los Angeles Jewish Symphony and the National Foundation for Jewish Culture.

About 650 moviegoers who gathered in the main theater did not get to see the film, although another 150 guests seated in a nearby theater did watch the movie as the sound system in there worked perfectly.

Afterward, all the guests gathered at the Century Plaza Hotel across the street to hear a free performance by the symphony of a work called Piano Concertino by Wladyslaw Szpilman, who was the subject of the movie and who wrote the book on which Polanski adapted the film. "The Pianist" this year won the Palme d'Or, the top prize at the Cannes Film Festival.

Thursday, the studio and the charities scrambled to contact each guest who did not see the film and invite them to attend private screenings before the film's Dec. 27 U.S. release.

"We are grateful that Loews has proffered a substantive and genuine apology and is working closely with Focus Features to make sure that everyone who attended [Wednesday] night's event will be able to see the film in the best possible circumstances," David Linde, the co-president of Focus Features, said in a prepared statement. Loews officials were unavailable for comment.

The gala evening got off in typical Hollywood fashion as a gaggle of celebrities such as Jack Nicholson, Lara Flynn Boyle, Fran Drescher, Martin Landau, and the movie's Adrien Brody and Thomas Kretschmann turned out for the event. But inside the theater, things went haywire.

After it took nearly an hour for guests to take their seats, representatives of the studio, the symphony and the foundation walked to the microphone only to find that their speeches were garbled by a faulty sound system. One of those addressing the audience was Andre Szpilman, the son of Wladyslaw Szpilman.

By 8:15, a studio official announced that the film would not be shown that night but everyone was invited to the reception and concert.

Wayne Hinton, executive director of the Los Angeles Jewish Symphony, said this was his group's first film premiere and they wanted it to be a memorable event.

'"I really feel badly for Andre Szpilman," Hinton said. "I know how much he was looking forward to the premiere." Hinton said that anyone who left without seeing the movie will be offered complimentary tickets to the symphony's season opening concert Sunday at 7 p.m. at Valley Beth Shalom on Ventura Boulevard in Encino.

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 04:35 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
man, that's embarressing

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 05:50 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Variety, some in the audience thought the silence was part of the actual movie. That would have been similar in a way to Y Tu Mama Tambien.

The LA Times omitted the fact that Roman Polanski could not attend the premiere (for obvious reasons).

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-06-2002 05:55 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what happened, but when I was last in that booth.
They had two Century JJ's in each of the large houses and
Pro-35's in theatres 3&4. They had Full boat CP200's in theatres
1&2 and CP55's in 3&4. Theatre 1 was THXed & is SRD , DTS equipped
and theatre 2 was HPS4000 (which they no longer advertise or use). The Century Plaza (the old Plitt in Century City) is no longer on a limited service contract with local 150. The Century Plaza ran some top shows in it's day. This was one of the best equipped booths in Los Angeles, before Loew's/Cineplex theatres took projection in to the limited service format with local 150. The theatre is tobe torn down sometime this coming year. [puke] Loew's is giving a slow long
death to this once great showcase.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-08-2002 12:25 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound systems have enough redundancy that you would think they could have gone to the analog track if it were a catastrophic failure of the digital. Thing is, for a gala like this, they may very well have made the decision to cancel the whole thing rather than try to present it using any backup or emergency aspect of the system. I mean, you really aren't going to run a thing like this in the By-Pass mode, eh?

It would be really interesting to find out the details of the problem -- I bet the booth guys were sweating that night.

Frank

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-08-2002 12:29 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the processor (CP-200?) completely fried, what would their options have been?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-08-2002 02:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CP200 has backup capabilities

John Moriarty
Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2002 02:24 PM      Profile for John Moriarty   Email John Moriarty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
walked to the microphone only to find that their speeches were garbled by a faulty sound system
As it wasn't just the film soundtrack that suffered the problem, I guess it is likely that if anything, by-pass would be the only working option. Of course, this wouldn't work either if it was the output of the processor or some part of the amplification sytem at fault.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-08-2002 03:14 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all premiere's that I did in Los Angeles, at different
theatres. We would have a full Tech call in the morning of
the show. We would have a Dolby Tech & a Studio projectionist,
to check the house's sound system out. And then do a full run
through of the film. That Dolby Tech would be there for the run through and the show at night. And nothing would play in that auditorium except the premiered feature. The above would go for
premieres, important press screenings and all double system
shows, no matter what studio. (It was the same on every show)
The only thing that would be powered down would be the lamphouses. The sound systems would stay on, all day. "The Pianist's"
print sound formats are SRD/DTS/SR. I have worked that theatre
before for special screenings and regular schedule shows.
Nothing ever happened bad in that booth. Fred who was the
regular projectionist at that theatre. He ran that booth so
well, that it was one of the best booths in local 150's area
to work.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-08-2002 03:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...garbled sound...I wonder what equipment is in there now!

A CP-200 would not do that and in bypass it certainly would be providing some sort of sound since only the optical preamp and the Cat. 143 are in circuit. I'm presumming these were not the primary source of failure since they are not used for Digital presentations...however, the Cat. 143 does handle Bypass and microphone functions. Whereas there have been listed more than one theatre with this system in the complex...spare parts are nearby!

Now what if there is a DSP type crossover in there now? The possibilities of what caused the problem is limitless.

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-08-2002 04:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
All the more reason to put as much of the same equipment across the board in each auditorium in a complex as possible. This way if you had to the smallest screen could be shut down and a piece of equipment pulled to get the larger one back on screen.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-08-2002 06:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the more reason to keep all that "digital crap out of the booth! They shoulda been running an analog mag backup at a major premiere like that.
Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-08-2002 08:04 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I really want a DSP crossover now...

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2002 08:09 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised no-one has suggested sabotage, which was my immediate
suspicion, given the nature of the event and its sponsors, and the
international situation as it hits home.
The quickest way to prevent free speech has been to cut the mic or speaker cable at events, ralleys or protests.
(Of course, I would not suggest sabotage in print without knowing the cause for fear of being thought paranoid....)

IATSE Local 306, Ret.
United Federation of Teachers, Ret.

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2002 08:43 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The article says 'the speeches with garbled' ... that's live speeches with a microphone ....... anyone know what they mean by garbled?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: