Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong International Bad on Part Delivery (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Strong International Bad on Part Delivery
Konrad Schiecke
Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2002 07:23 PM      Profile for Konrad Schiecke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the occasion to have to order parts thru Lavezzi from Strong International for a Simplex Xl 35/70 picture head. The order was placed two weeks ago and after many inquiries I learned that they were going to ship some [*] of the parts today with others on back order with no promised dates. Reason for the delay was they were too busy with inventory. I had the order canceled because I felt that I got the shaft. If big companies like Strong continue to operate with poor delivery and no parts to back up there product one wonders how they stay in business.If I did this my repair business would be zero. I have reverted to other sources for the parts and have learned also today that this conduct is not unusual for Strong.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-05-2002 09:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that some times they are very good and other times they are not. When ordering platter motors I had to wait for them to be built according to what I was told, but the delay wasn't too bad. I just ordered a TON of platter parts, so I am assuming that's what the delay is. I'll have to double check. Just this week I finally got my keys for the flywheels (why they are not included with the flywheel is beyond me). I had to have my dealer remind Strong twice. Other times I request a part and it is there that same week without issue.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-05-2002 11:22 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not trying to defend anyone specifically, but I really feel the theater equipment industry has been decimated in the last three years. Be glad some companies are still around at all, to supply parts and service. Think of what you would do if you had Kintek sound processors and CFS platters.

In this context, I don't think two weeks is very long. Of course, I acknowledge if your projector was down for that two weeks, it would not be acceptable... but that rarely happens. Almost always, someone can get something to keep the projector at least running.

Taking inventory is a major aggravation: Everything must be "frozen" in place for a while when the counting goes on, or stuff might be counted twice (or not at all.) IE: Whatever items were in the test or production depts must stay there until the count is done. This goes on the profit/lost sheet for the year and when a company is not doing too well (not saying Strong is in this position) you look for every tax break, and this is one way to reduce it.

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 04:33 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to know what parts you're looking for, and what you mean by "ordering thru Lavezzi from Strong International".

Since we're not starting inventory for another 10 or 12 days I don't know what that has to do with anything. We do have a notice up on our website regarding inventory so our dealers and others are aware of it.

Pat

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 09:03 AM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two weeks is standard for a lot of industrial suppliers. With the holidays it sometimes hits 21 days. [Frown]

Dennis

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 09:16 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the past, when I've needed parts from Strong, I've ordered them through International Cinema Equipment. I always received the parts very quickly, especially if I stated that they were needed right away. On a couple occasions I even received them the next day. I have never dealt with Lavezzi before, but based on my experience with Strong and reading Pat Moore's response, it sounds like Lavezzi is making excuses for their own slow order processing.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-06-2002 09:51 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lavezzi supplies many companies on an O.E.M. basis such as Strong. Cinema parts are only part of their business and Strong may of placed an order at a time that a product run for specific item was not scheduled + shipping to Strong, to Dealer, to you would cause delays especially in this very down time in this business.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-06-2002 01:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Konrad,
Having worked for two dealers now I have yet to have any major delivery problems with Strong on anything. Even when they do get busy and some things are backordered, these things were always taken care of in a timely manner. None of the back orders I have experienced with them has delayed me in opening a theatre on time, or getting a head rebuilt in my shop, and back in on time. Even when I was running my own Supply Co Strong parts availability was no big deal. I don't think two weeks is so bad, and had you checked with Strong directly they would have been glad to tell you when the other parts would become available.

Come to think of it they probably have not produced many 35/70 X-L's lately, so certain odd parts may be scarce. Your parts may indeed be a part that LaVezzi makes for Strong and in that case waits of 6 to 8 weeks are not unusual as certain things are sometmies done out of their shop....anodizing, or plating for instance.... Ording your parts from an authorized dealer would have gotten you better, and faster response, and you would have known sooner what was going on....like the same day you ordered them.

Blamming Strong was wrong when it was your middle man that was at fault.

Mark Gulbrandsen
CLACO Equipment And Service
Salt Lake City, UT

Konrad Schiecke
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 02:18 PM      Profile for Konrad Schiecke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who think two weeks is acceptable thats fine but its not acceptable to me. I have given all the details to Pat Moore and if he wishes to followup thats great.Mark G. your comments are not appreciated since you don't know all the facts.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-06-2002 02:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of many suppliers that don't have a mini-shut down sometime during the year where they do their inventory or simply close for a holiday.

As to a two-week wait...that all depends on the part as to how acceptable it is. Some critical parts should be on-hand anyway.

No accountant will want a business have tons of money tied up on a shelf. So it is always a balance of having the right stock (at all levels, from raw material, through the end-user).

As to Strong, I have found that for the most part they have what you need when you need it. Sure there are some short falls but I haven't found any company (or cinema supplier) that has everything at all times.

However, if you are going to publicly bash a company, be prepaired from those that don't feel as you do to defend them.

Steve

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-06-2002 02:41 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe when bad mouthing companies it would be a good idea to supply 'all the facts'. As you've said, you haven't told the whole story. All that we can tell from this thread is that your dealer, or whoever you ordered from (which isn't clear) is jerking you around.

FWIW, I've waited for over two weeks just for splicing tape. I've also waited more than two weeks for parts for my brand new car. For possibly out of production projector parts, I don't think two week, or even a month, is unreasonable.

Heck, we don't even no where you're from since you haven't included a location in your profile. You could be from Suburbia... it might be that it just takes a month to ship stuff there.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 03:26 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Daryl said, perhaps you should have supplied all of the facts. One thing is obvious: You stated that Lavezzi said that the "Reason for the delay was [that Strong was] too busy with inventory." Pat Moore, "Vice President of Cinema Products for Strong Intl.", replied stating that Strong had not yet even begun their inventory. It sounds to me, based on the facts that you supplied, that Lavezzi is providing you with either false or skewed information. I agree with Mark that you should not be blaming Strong when it is more likely that your reseller is at fault. If anything, it sounds like you may not have all of facts yourself. I don't mean to sound rude, but why did you post your message, leaving out some of the facts, if you didn't want or expect people to reply? I think that an email pr phone call directly to Strong would have provided all the information you would require. As I have said, my dealings with Strong through a particular reseller have been great, but I can also say they were very receptive to my direct phone calls and questions. There is a reason that the company and their products have a good reputation. IMHO, Mark's comments were right on the money, and I think you'll find that his experience and knowledge make him and his comments invaluable to this forum.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-06-2002 03:32 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never had any problems with part flow from Strong International through my dealer. My dealer (Vern Klingman of Cin-Tronics) and Strong International always seem to be "right on the ball."

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-06-2002 03:48 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not aware that LaVezzi is a vendor of Strong parts but Strong dealers are vendors of Strong parts made by LaVezzi. Therefore your posting contains at least one falsehood. I'm also a bit surprised that LaVezzi would even be talking to you. Did they? Or are you reporting hearsay, that someone simply claimed that they said? People are responding to what you have said some of which doesn't make much sense. Why not give us the complete facts instead of berating people just because you don't like their reply?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-06-2002 03:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong is usually quite good at delivering parts even on older obslete machines and even the old ORC line
2 weeks is not unreasonable in this day and age of most manufactureres sourcing is"just in time" delivery methods. No accountant will okay massive inventory of slow moving parts. Any part that was that mission criticle to an individuals operation should be on there own shelves

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: