Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "Film Done Wrong" becomes high cinema art. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Film Done Wrong" becomes high cinema art.
Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2002 08:31 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The decay of the medium becomes the message in a new film of cinematic entropy "made of deteriorating film", projected in New York City. Here's two paragraphs from the review by Sarah Boxer in the New York Times of Dec. 3rd entitled "Where A Film's Gooey Bits Are The Real Showstoppers":

"Decasia," set to a clangorous, tuneless, relentless symphony by Michael Gordon, opens with the image of a whirling dervish. But that's not the focus. The movie also shows waves crashing on a rocky coastline, an old aqueduct, a shoji screen, a mining accident, a drowning man, a rug factory, a spinning wheel, a Ferris wheel, an athlete, a politician, a farmer, a cowboy, a birth by C-section, a baptism, a massage, an old man's angry face and some parachutists. But they are not the focus either. The scene stealers are the spots of decay attacking those documentary images. As Mr. Morris observed at the screening, "Decasia,"is a cross between a Robert Flaherty documentary and a Stan Brakhage film. "Nanook of the North" meets "Hell Itself."

The species of decay in the movie are many and varied: splotches, bubbles, honeycombs, snowflakes, gooey bits, wiggly chromosomal shapes, jazzy spots, jumpy spots, steady spots, Wonder Bread spots, black streaks and blinding white flashes that could trigger an epileptic fit. The types of decay have so much character, so much life, that at a certain point you begin to feel that the decay itself has intention, targeting certain images for ruin. 'I saw the film as a wrestling match between decay and recognizable images,' Mr. Morrison, the filmmaker, said. The decay won."
[Lots more at http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/03/movies/03DECA.html ]

After all our hard work trying to avoid imperfections, an avante garde
focuses not on the permanence of film , but on its decay.
Reminds me of the time in an outdoor screening in a Queens park one summer 60's night, where the beautiful, gleaming, streamlined Norelco projector suddenly froze, stopping the show. As the image of the melting, scorching film appeared onscreen, an elderly couple near me smiled with nostalgia, and told me it reminded them of their courting days at the movies.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-05-2002 06:38 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing lasts forever. [Frown]

(But processed and stored properly, film can come close [Cool] )

Film Storage

IPI Storage Calculator

Film "decay" is usually caused by excessive heat or humidity during storage, and a buildup of acid vapors from the hydrolysis of nitrate or acetate base. Venting the acid vapors or using Molecular Sieves to adsorb them in sealed containers, greatly slows the reaction:

Molecular Sieves

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 07:03 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Gerard,

I have another form of film art, Origami!

Here is what our latest print looked like fresh out of the can!

-

TES responded with the comment,"Keep track of the refunds you have to give and let us know so we can see about getting a replacement."

NOT! The replacement arrived less that 12 hours after our call.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 08:51 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard, thanks for posting the link. I had heard about Decasia when it was a work in porogress, but had forgotten to follow up on it. I was always fascinated by the swirling "defects" that appeared in the early silent films I have shown over the years. I look forward to catching up with this film.

I'm not sure that I'd call it "film done wrong," but perhaps "preservation done wrong." [Big Grin] Although there's a side of me fascinated with "film done wrong" as well. I've been saving the burned and battered frrames (damage inflicted by others, I must say) I've come across over the years for a project I hope to begin sometime in the near future. (If anyone has any they would like to send my way, please let me know. [Smile] )

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-08-2002 12:10 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years flmmakers have used film defects for dramatic purposes. I know a number of features have displayed the "film burning in the gate" phenomenon. I remember one in particular -- Ralph Rafelson's HEAD, which we ran, as we do every film, in subrun sometimes years after their initial release. Consequently the piece of paper that warned the projectionist of this particular special effect didn't survive in the can. Needless-to-say, during the first show when I saw the "film burn" happen on the screen, I slammed the dowser closed, only to ponder why the film was not jammed and still running without incident. Now there's a test of good troubleshooting skills, eh?!

I too have a box of damaged frames that I've collected over the years. I guess that's a hobby of a lot of projectionists....it's just so difficulty to throw away even a single frame of a great classic film, so it goes in the shoe box.

Frank

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2002 12:38 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Decasia has a Web site.

here

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2002 09:56 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeffrey,
Thanks for the link, but although I have the required Flash program, after waiting a good ten minutes for the page to load and getting only 50% loaded, the computer froze and I had to reboot.
I pulled maintenance on the hard drive, including defragging, but hesitate to try again until I know what results others may have had with the link.
Anyone......???
Gerard

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 03:08 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this URL help bypass the welcome page slowness?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-13-2002 03:50 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank
quote:
Ralph Rafelson's "Head"
Try Bob Rafelson's "Head" from Columbia pictures.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-13-2002 07:58 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup....I knew that. [Smile]

Frank

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 08:58 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeffrey,
I'm afraid that didn't work either. It produced an empty window the color of your sweater in your portrait, with a rapid interminable clicking from my hard drive. When I tired of that I couldn't escape--
not even with CNTRL--ALT---DELETE. Rebooting produced backup errors.
Fix? Yes. Error prevents complete repair. Computer reboots itself,
so here I am again.
But if the FLASH! program produces just a head shot, FAAHHGGEDDABOUDIT!
(I was expecting exciting sound & movie clips.)
Gerard

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 09:33 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked the Decasia Web site using the SamSpade Safe Browser.
here

"This site uses Flash 5 Plugin."

The index-mini URL I posted is all Flash. No links in the html code.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 05:20 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried your links and they all work perfectly for me.... I'm got a 1 meg connection (ooooer misses) so have no problems with downloads.

Interesting sampler....

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 07:31 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My problem probably lies with my downloading of FLASH 5.

John Hazelton
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 10:32 PM      Profile for John Hazelton   Author's Homepage   Email John Hazelton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The site froze my computer right up, also.

I've got a high-speed connection and a pretty new computer, so I was able to get through the Flash screens with no problem. However, when I clicked on the link to watch the sample movie, my computer locked up tight after the browser opened up a new window for the clip.

Don't know what the problem is, but, man, I'd sure like people to code using only HTML standards.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: