Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Train Trailers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby Train Trailers
William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2002 11:58 AM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone out there know if the origional 60 second Dolby Train is still available. I ask this as I have found out today that the Mancine Fanfare has been updated at some pointand now has an SRD track on it. The one I have only has Dolby A.
The new train trailer is good but the long one was the best.
Cheers

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-03-2002 02:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The long trailer is not available because it said "Dolby Stereo Digital" instead of simply "Dolby Digital". I also believe it was shortened (correct me if I'm wrong) due to the amount of ads and trailers that go in front of movies today.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-03-2002 02:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There is great confusion here. The original Train trailer was replaced by a "long Train" trailer. Personally I hate this second issue and find the current one better. However the original version was a knock-your-socks-off mix, but Dolby won't reissue it for some oddball reason.

Both of the first two trailers said "Dolby Stereo Digital".

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-03-2002 06:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "long" trailers' mix kicked the ass of the one that is available now... it had a much cooler atmosphere and was very surreal. Are you saying the "original" train is also short? That would suck.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2002 06:32 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm constantly baffled when i go to a theatre and the Dolby or DTS trailer actually sounds worse than the feature film does. In the analog days, the Dolby trailers always sounded far better than the features.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-03-2002 11:35 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One nice thing I liked about the Waikiki #2 that closed recently was the original SRD Train trailer they used to play until the bitter end when the theatre played a film in that sound format. The Dole Cannery 18 always play the new train trailer and it does not sound as good as the original. I have the new Train trailer along with many others on a Dolby demonstration DVD and it sounds great but no way as good as the original.

-Claude

Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2002 03:32 AM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Mancini tag (SR) is now available in digital?????? When did this happen? I have to get one if this is the case, this knocks the socks of all the other tags hands down!

In our theatre, the optical tracks have a much warmer sound than the crystal clear digital sounds, maybe it's just me (or the optical pickup is so out of alignment?), but for non-actiony type films they seem to sound better in SR - Only my opinion..

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2002 06:40 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William

The only Dolby trailers that are in SR are Temple (Cat 8185 & Cat 8235) Flat & Scope

we have some cat 762 (although I have not checked that this one is still made)
Dolby SR Logo Trailer.

BERTA THE BUMBLE BEE is no longer made, Which is a shame as it was the only fun Dolby trailer on the market. It seems that Dolby are taking themselves far to seriously. IMO

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-04-2002 07:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan, any chance you can convince the powers that be at Dolby to re-issue the original 1992 mix of Train?

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2002 08:19 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surly no one is that powerful. [Confused]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-04-2002 06:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well you never know about that "power" thing. My whining and complaining was part of what got Dolby to ditch that all purpose "tri" format logo and develop the current Dolby Digital logo that has been in use since 1995.

While the original "Train" trailer mix was short, it did kick ass. I saw it only a few times --mainly at GCC Northpark #1 in Dallas. Attached to "The Lion King," it frightened the little kiddies in the audience and made them cry. Way cool! Hehe. The trailer even packed a wallop over at Cinemark's Hollywood USA theater in Garland.

I remember Brad surmising that perhaps Dolby toned down the mix of "Train" because perhaps some movie theaters with lesser (i.e., cheaper) sound systems where getting speaker drivers blown by the dynamic range and volume of it.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-04-2002 06:57 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moyer Movieland 6, their THX house, first screen in Eugene to go Dolby Digital, and Scott Hicks' baby. [Wink] That train kicked some major ass. I was like, forget the movie, run the train a few more times. [thumbsup]

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2002 12:28 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too would love the Dolby train and rain trailers. I recently recieved my Dolby Digital kits from thier distributor for promotional stuff with regards to Dolby Digital and Dolby Stereo. However I think someone goofed my order up. I asked for 4 Dolby SR and 2 Dolby Digital Kits. What I recieved was 4 Dolby Digital and 2 Dolby Analog kits. To make a long story short, Since I had recived 2 more Digital kits than I had asked for I was hoping for a good selection of digital trailers. Instead all I got was 8 copies of the Aurora and 8 copies of the Egypt trailer. 4 of each format. Anyone wanna trade some let me know.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-05-2002 01:49 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William.

I do not care for AURORA all that much but the "EGYPT" and the CANYON trailers are my next two favorites beside the TRAIN trailer.
Signature's Dole Cannery played them all the time when I use to go there before the Ward 16 opened. It is very unfortinate that Consolidated's Ward theatres never play movie sound trailers like the Waikiki theatres used to do before they closed.

-Claude

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2002 04:38 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Claude, I agree with you the Aurora trailer is very poor in it's dynamic range and does not really show the full spectrum of a Dolby Digital sound system. I loved the Train and the City trailers. Both have excellent dyanmic range in them. My guess would be that Dolby wanted to have a toned down version of the trailer for those movies where a there is not alot of action involved as to keep with the theme of the movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: