Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Disneyland projectionists (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Disneyland projectionists
Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2002 12:48 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was recently at Disneyland and California Adventure theme parks, and there are three 3D attractions, and a large format flight simulator. I'm sure that the 3D Muppet Movie was film because it had a scratch at the end, and I'm sure the Flight simulator (Soaring over California) was film because of tiny little specks of dirt here and there, but I saw no dirt or scratches on Honey I Shrunk the Audience, or It's tough to be a Bug which leads me to believe that they were digital presentations....but is there such a thing as digital 3D?

I was glad to see Disneyland employing so many projectionists, and if I didn't have my kid with me I would have asked to take a tour of the booth, especially to see the booth for Soaring over California because it must have been a huge water cooled bulb for that screen.

Anyway, I was mostly posting this to see if any of those Disney boys or girls were lurkers here and could fill us in on their operation. I should point out also that their presentation was great and any dirt or scratch I noticed was because I was REALLY looking for them.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-30-2002 01:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do they really have "projectionists?" I would bet that all the Disney films are on endless loop systems and are all run automatically, for the most part.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2002 01:21 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes they have projectionists. I met one old guy at Show East the past two years running.

They use a shitload of Ballentyne Pro 35/70s.

Yes they use loop cabinets.

This projectionist told me that they unthread every day and clean every roller. They are pretty proud of thier ability and performance. And they are well paid. Most of them are Projectionist/Technicians.

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2002 01:47 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Jan Hackett considers herself a projectionist even though she runs an endless loop. It all depends on what you're doing when you're not threading (or lacing) up all the time.

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2002 02:10 PM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "Honey I shrunk the audience" when on holiday in California in October 1998. Very spectacular, mainly when the rats (or was it mice?) go down the stage and run through the auditorium...

BTW, was it a 35mm or 70mm process?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-30-2002 02:42 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering it only takes about a minute to thread a platter and projector, 99% of the time I am pretty much running an endless loop. [Smile]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-30-2002 03:09 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A tech over here was telling me that they have some pretty jazzed-up PRO-35s... selected because Disney finds them quite easy on film. On the other hand, they've got a number of components that are designed for the Disney venue... such as direct coupling to the intermittent sprocket (after all... with endless loops and real projectionists you don't need framing, right?). Pat may be able to fill in some more... but I understand there are some gate & trap components that were specced by Disney to make the machine run the way they wanted... like stable! [Wink]

Sure surprised me when, after we went through their shows, I heard about how many PRO-35s they use.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2002 05:49 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents and I were at Walt Disney World in Orlando, and we visited the "Hall Of Presidents" attraction. It was a large oval auditorium with 5 or so screen "panels" covered by curtains, which would open up throughout the presentation to reveal more of the screens as the picture grew larger "around" you. A sort-of Cinerama type process. Very Impressive!

But, it was painfully obvious they were using several projectors. A big difference in screen brightness between sections, one of them being especially dim with horrible shutter ghosting. And the far right panel had a base scratch. [Frown]

My parents fell asleep halfway through, and I just kept being distracted by the flaws. On the way out, I noticed three projectors in the booth, but there may have been more. Couldn't find anyone around to comment about the presentation, and we were in a hurry to catch the parade. [Smile]

=TMP=

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-30-2002 05:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An aquantaince of mine in Rockford, Il was a projectionist at Walt Disney World and Epcot Center in Florida. He retired from Disney about 8 years ago.
Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-30-2002 06:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I should have worded my question differently. I have no doubt that they have people maintaining the equipment, cleaning, threading, etc. I was wondering if they had people "in the booth" on an ongoing basis doing that work as opposed to someone who just pushes the buttons. Obviously, they do have projectionists.

Although I have seen that tired presentation of "Hall of Presidents" that Thomas wrote about. I saw it in '00 and remember that one screen was incredibly dim. Wonder if it's fixed yet.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-30-2002 08:24 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And they are well paid.
That's not what I heard. At least, not at Disney World. When I lived in FL, I serviced a lot of theatres in Orlando, union. I was told that the IA agreed to "leave Disney alone" in Orlando, if Disney returned the favor in CA.

There were several ex-Disney guys in the booths there who said they didn't make as much at the park as they did in the regular theatres.

And WDW was always trying to recruit new techs from the theatres -- I'd been asked several times, while making routines. The wages they offered didn't come close to what I was making.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-01-2002 12:23 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that they rebuild those pro 35's every 500 hours. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

As far as the Hall of Presidents goes the images on all the screens looked evenly lit when I saw it in june of this past summer.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-01-2002 01:15 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 or 3 (or???) rebuilds per lamp change?

[eyes] [eyes] W O W ! [eyes] [eyes]

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 12-01-2002 04:31 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to see some of the venues in Universal Studios, and had no luck. I was rather frustrated [Mad]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-01-2002 10:37 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, You have to be 21 to see the Universal Studios booths!! Hang in there, it is approaching faster that you think!
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: