Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor print pick-ups on multiple prints

Author Topic: Technicolor print pick-ups on multiple prints
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-26-2002 08:15 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to pass this along since this is the time of year that we get a lot of multiple prints. Some of you out there may have encountered situations where the technicolor cans could not be picked up because they were the wrong number. Well, I learned from technicolor a while back that when multiple prints are to be picked up by airbourne or special curiors. They start with the biggest number on the print can. In other words if you have three prints of Santa Clause 2 and the numbers are as follows.

the largest number 4390 would be picked up first. If you drop two prints down to one then the numbers 3572 and 4390 would be picked up. Just remember if you loose one print pick the cans with the largest number on it.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-26-2002 09:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, thank you very much for that tip! I was wondering how they made those decisions. It makes perfect sense though. Wish they would've said something sooner.

I am moving this to FHF so the projectionists are more apt to see it, but am leaving a closed thread here so managers will take note as well.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-26-2002 09:21 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that it would ever happen [Roll Eyes] , but is there ever a temptation to return the print having the most wear first, regardless of the print number? Of course, any damage is reported. [Smile]

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2002 03:48 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could probably call them as soon as you know you are losing the print to try and arrange for that print number to be picked up, but I have been told that the computer generates an automatic pickup after the last playdate for that print, so i dont know if theys be able or willing to tell the system to generate a pickup for that print.

Ive been in situations before where they wanted a print Thursday night for delivery elsewhere the next morning, and after getting one of the prints torn down (print 2345 for example), was told that they wanted a different print number than the one I tore down (print 5432 for this example).
Even after the courier made a call, they still wanted print 5432, so I had to just switch the cans.
This causes a confusion for us, because the print number is on the film inspection report, on the label, and on the trailer list we type up.
If the cans have to be switched, we have to switch everything else and both prints end up with two print numbers in their history.

Now, with this information in mind, if we lose one or print of a multiple print title, we can just move the prints around before Thursday to get the correct prints in the houses we want to tear them down from.
For example, we were playing three prints of 8 Mile until today, where we went down to one.
We had it playing in houses 3, 4, and 15.
The print in house 15 was scheduled to stay in 15, so we tore down the prints in 2 and 3.
If they wanted the print numbers form 2 and 15, I could have easily switched 3 and 15 to accomodate.
Since I dont remember the print numbers, I wonder how many torn down prints of 8 Mile we will have sitting by the door after Airborne shows up tomorrow.
Right now we have three, the two torn down tonight, and the one torn down last week that is still sitting there.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-27-2002 06:50 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
James, yes I have called in advance and yes they will tell you what print number they want. I have even complained enough to get them to change the pickup number on the fly Thursday night, but that only worked once. The rest of the times they just say to swap the cans that the prints don't actually have any sort of number or identification on them. Well shit, there goes that whole CAP code idea! [Wink] [Razz]

John, ship back a damaged print? I don't think so! However I always do make sure that if a print came in with some light mark that wasn't bad enough to reject it that specific print finds it's way out of the booth first. I also swap reels around when I get multiple prints in order to make at least one "perfect" print that I will keep for the long term. And for those who complain about screwing up the CAP code and such, Technicolor has already blown the cover on that one, so I don't want to hear it. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: