Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bye Bye, Ballantyne (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bye Bye, Ballantyne
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-26-2002 01:09 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh.... a sad day, indeed...

I should have paid more attention to the posts on this board... but I just had to give these PRO-35's I have a fair shake. (Ken Layton's laughing his head off right now! [Mad] )

20 years ago, I presided over the corporate installation of 4 of these things in a Moyer house that had just been triplexed. In operation, it struck me that these projectors... right off the truck... were not putting out as stable a picture as the 1949 vintage XL's in the original booth upstairs. I just couldn't fathom that a machine would be marketed, and a company would accept an exhibitor's payment for a machine which couldn't be made to put an image on-screen without adding its own "artistic artifacts" in the form of jitter... just about every kind imagineable. It was true, though... and it appears still to be the case.

This year, I picked up a quad that included a booth full of PRO-35s (Regal, in their infinite wisdom, had elected not to remove them from the booth [Confused] ). After 3 months of nearly daily attention, including the investment of a couple of very talented service techs... and several thousand dollars worth of parts (guides, sprockets, bearings, gears, couplers... one a Disney version... pad rollers... even a rebuilt intermittent), and about 5 gallons of oil to get them cleaned out, we haven't been able to coax them anywhere near the stability of an XL or Century. I've come to dread watching the credits when I'm running the booth. It's a shame, really... there are some things about the machine I really like. I think the lubrication system is outstanding... and I've never had trouble with seals or leaks. It's a relatively easy machine to service, and I've had just about every piece off the thing by now. From what I've heard, the shutter & dowser components are a lot harder to burn through than a Christie. Even the XL parts aren't as thick. You ought to have armor like that on YOUR tank!

However, it's time to bow to the superior intellects herein and put the money somewhere else. The PRO-35s are heading out the door over the next few weeks. Coming in are 4 sets of SA's & R3's... and unfortunately, the bases to hold them. I'd have gone with the XL & SH1000 combo, since I've got them at my drive-in... but I've noticed the marking of the film the soundhead causes (also noted here).

No offense to Strong... especially since they'll be getting my spare parts $$$ for the new gear as well. A real shame though, that after 20 some-odd years of opportunity, this machine just couldn't be made to cut it.

Another item in their favor, as far as I'm concerned... Strong's come up with every part I've ordered for these old beasts... sometimes eventually, but they've managed every piece.

Except for my sound rack & stage equipment, the booth is pretty much all Strong... so you guys don't go and get bought up by some outfit in Walla Walla, ok? [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2002 01:27 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am laughing my head off! [Big Grin]

Soured on Ballantynes? Sell 'em back to Tom Moyer.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-26-2002 01:41 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to bump this, everyone. Please see my post regarding what heads like these might be worth.

Thanks.
Jack

[ 10-19-2005, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Jack Ondracek ]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-26-2002 01:54 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, where are they headed....I have a big Ford F-250 that has plenty of room in the back. [Big Grin]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-26-2002 02:00 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I might hear from you, Paul [Big Grin] .

Don't have any immediate plans... They might wind up in storage at the drive-in... right next to my collection of old Swords & tired Brenkerts... unless someone wanted to make a reasonable offer for them. They're junk to me... but you know what they say about one man's junk! [evil]

The thought also occurs that, considering what old rusty film cans, shipping reels, trailers & copper drippings attract on Ebay (not to mention old speakers with suspiciously short cords, from still-open drive-ins, somewhere in the Pacific Northwest)... I ought to really rake it in with some good pictures and an appropriately descriptive, but not overly flowerly written portrayal of these "fine, classic cinematic masterpieces of US engineering & design"

Geez... your picture sure changes a lot! Stop pointing that weenie at me, will ya!

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2002 09:47 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez, Jack. I saw that post and thought, "Oh Boy! ANOTHER rumor on Ballantyne and Strong International..." Don't scare me like that. [Wink]

Actually, it's surprising how many Ballantynes are out there and still performing. The newer framing coupler really helps image quality issues. Still, Ballantynes seem relegated to special venue and similar applications.

Pat

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-26-2002 02:50 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
From Pat:
Actually, it's surprising how many Ballantynes are out there and still performing. The newer framing coupler really helps image quality issues. Still, Ballantynes seem relegated to special venue and similar applications.

That's what I hear, Pat. I also understand they're a lot more prevalent in your part of the country. We don't see many of them here, except in theatres that were equipped by Tom Moyer / Luxury Theatres... and most of those are getting pretty old.

I did try the Disney coupler, and it did help quite a bit. Guess I'm just too darn picky. [Roll Eyes]

Anyway... am looking forward to installing the new Centurys. There are a lot of them around here... even a set of 1947 vintage 'C' models... still solid as a rock & running every day.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2002 06:19 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOh, is that a VIP base? Nice looking.

Danny

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 11-26-2002 06:32 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're just going to toss them,
--THEN I WANT ONE !!!

[Big Grin] [evil]

(ya, right [Roll Eyes] )

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 11-26-2002 06:34 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! When did my signature I set up when I registered start working? [Confused]

[Confused] Oh well. Hey, It's good advice! [thumbsup]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-26-2002 07:29 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny I never never had a stability issue with a Pro35. Most of them blew the century's and simplexs out of the water and for years I serviced enough of them. (the only reason most of those don't get my attention is the venues closed or were sold and those are all still in service)
Without exception I have never found any real fault with the machine other than oil leaks. Also I never once bought that easily converted between 70 and 35mm issue (It always took forever)
I am sure I could find a good home for any ballantynes up here they are still one of the best built machines out there and never had any grief out of them

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2002 08:00 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Gordon. Unless the coupler or outboard arm got beaten up, picture quality was not bad at all with the PRO35 and would match up pretty well against anything else. They are truly built like a tank. The sad part is that it took so long to really address the oil leaks and the somewhat fragile coupler and outboard arm assembly.

Loved that VIP Master picture. I did a few of those...

Pat

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-26-2002 08:08 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DAN: Yes. That's a VIP base. These things were all originally installed as master/slave reel to reel changeover units. The base was sold with a motorized takeup spindle (very good, as I recall), and supply arm that contained its own rewind. Once mounted, you didn't need to remove the film until the end of its run (or unless you needed a fast rewind... they were slow). The base also included mechanical automation (sort of reminiscent of a co-operator, but bigger). The master unit had a tube-type amplifier for the sound system, and the slave contained a spare. Really nice system for its time... you basically just wired the supplied raceway, then plugged these things in.

MIKE: Sorry... still smarting from the $$$$$ bleeding.

GORDON: Sure wish you were located a little further South... you could have taught us all quite a bit, I suspect. From the comments on this board (favorite/worst projector), it looks like you really knew the secret of these things. Anyone else that's used them seems to have experienced what I have... except for Paul... and I'm beginning to wonder if those hot dogs might not be part of HIS formula.

In the end though, I'm gravitating toward a mode where I prefer to have currently-supported equipment in my booths. Not to get Kenny started, but I used Brenkerts for almost forever, and probably still would be, were it not for the (reliable) spare parts issues. The PRO-35s, for better or worse, are getting to the point where it's dubious if Strong has parts on the shelf (other than maybe coupler components!)

PAT: You've seen machines I obviously haven't... and the Northwest had a bunch of 'em in the late '70s & early '80s. Tom Moyer really liked them... but rumor has long held that his interest was more for financial reasons than anything about the machine. The only ones left, that I'm aware of, are in houses that Moyer built, Act III... then Regal acquired, and have now become too old (or out-located) for them to consider updating. Attrition has cut the numbers quite a bit. Possibly, the largest remaining "nest" of them is in Chehalis, WA... where Ken presides over the brood.

We have one theatre left in our area that still has PRO-35s, and I would put an XL or any Century mechanism up against them in a heartbeat.... but I'd rather see those machines here, because that theatre's only a few miles down the road from me! [Big Grin]

I've got a good picture of one of these operating, I'll upload tomorrow.

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2002 10:35 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Jack, I probably did a few of those machines, maybe some still running and some not. There are hours and there are hard hours, and some of those Ballantyne's probably hard a hard time until guys like you came along to really take care of them.

I'm not sure if Tom Moyer had any interest in Ballantyne -- if he did it was a small one. It was personal relationships that made him loyal to the company back then.

And please don't worry about parts. There are a few things for the early Model VII Soundheads or the original pad roller arms that aren't available anymore, but you can get just about anything you need that I'm aware of. Heck, we still sell new ones...

Take care, Jack.

Pat

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2002 10:47 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Pat! I remember our first meeting in Carson City many years ago...I had the XL booth and you installed the VIP booth in the cinema 50! I am afraid that place is long gone now!! Whatever happened to the VIPs and the Jerry Lewis XLs is unknown!!
Happy thanksgiving!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: