Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dimmer choices (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dimmer choices
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-25-2002 09:47 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the general consensus for a 3 step dimmer recommendation? I have been very pleased with Lindsey/Fairbanks dimmers, but they do not have a manual override on the box itself. Ash/Stevenson dimmers are also quite reliable and do have an override.

What are your thoughts for the best bang for the buck? I am only interested in 3 step dimmers and NOT digital dimmers. Please note whether there are manual override buttons for UP/MID/DOWN on the box.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-25-2002 11:32 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the most part, I'm pleased with the Kelmar dimmers in their LCS line. They have many models to accommodate the features you value as important. They also have a no-frills model in the "Architectual" line that does not buttons on the box.

Steve

Anthony Hopland
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2002 11:38 AM      Profile for Anthony Hopland   Email Anthony Hopland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manual controls are (or was) an option from LFI. It adds cost but if you need them it is nice to have it come that way from the factory.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-25-2002 04:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bang for the buck the Ash dimmer is the best deal and has the best noise filtering out there

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-25-2002 04:07 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a problem with Ash Stevenson archetectual or stage dimmers. The oldest ones I've used, from 1988, still work perfectly. They've never given me a reason to look for others.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2002 04:52 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have used Ash-Stevenson dimmers for years with virtually no problems. I like the ability to adjust the up / down speeds as well as, of course, the three individual level settings.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2002 05:47 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the Kelmar LCS series. Very easy to install, reliable, simple, and has manual buttons, too.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2002 06:10 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Strong & Christie dimmers, easy to install, has good control on both, same problem with all dimmers the triac goes out from time to time but easy to repair...as for noise...I have not had any in any of these two dimmers even when a dimmer is near the sound rack....

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-25-2002 06:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also vote for the Kelmar dimmers. Have literally put in hundreds of the 2 Channel DeLuxe model and never had to go back to fix one of them. The Stan Ash dimmers are ok but do not have the high build quality of the Kelmars. My second choice would be the Strong/Eprad dimmers. They too are pretty much bullett proof.
Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-25-2002 08:13 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on mark the Ash is a better built dimmer than Kelmar any day better design and better rated components

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-25-2002 08:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Gord, but the Kelmars have been the least problem dimmer I've ever worked with. Build quality is actually much better as is the cabinet quality. In Boise there were quite a few Stan Ash problems to work out.
Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-25-2002 09:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad needs a Ward-Leonard resistance board. One (sort of) local theatre has had one for 76 years without a failure, which I think is a pretty good reliability record. I bet it can even be controlled with the CA21 and some custom hardware! [Smile]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-25-2002 09:33 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No no, a motor-driven variac. No RFI.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2002 09:35 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found the Frank Adam "Major System" board to be excellent for reliability as well as providing an excellent source of heat back stage.

Frank Adam Electric board in the Temple Theatre, Saginaw MI. This board still works 100% and when a power surge took out the solid state dimming system, this old board ran the whole stage show. The settings are limited only to the operator's ability to pull the levers that operate the resistance pancakes. New in 1927 Still goin'.

The solid state system is a Strong Mantrix. [eyes]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-25-2002 09:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kenneth,
Part of my last job was as a Strand service technician(Colortran also) [Eek!] . The Mantrix board is now obsolete, something which Strand is famous for doing quickly. You should see the computerized board that replaced it [bs] . They are still trying to get it to work right after nearly two years. When you call Strand technical support you might be lucky to get the one person that really knows how it should work, but mainly you end up with voice mail or getting someone that hasn't a clue about anything to do with it [Confused] . With the older CD80 series dimmer racks they rarely will be able to supply a part [Frown] . Other companies are doing well making computer retrofits that are reliable to replace the aging, sometimes troublesome computers in these racks [Cool] .

While the lighting community needs these computer based lighting systems to pull off really large complicated shows the average smallish theatre should stick with something more old fashioned. They will experience far fewer problems if they do [Smile] .
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: