Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Which is better for storing 35mm long term

Author Topic: Which is better for storing 35mm long term
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-25-2002 08:33 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, everyone. I'm looking for info and/or opinions on which of these is better for storing 35mm film for the long term (acetate & polyester). Or is there something better?

Plastic 2000' Can
Metal 2000' Can

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-25-2002 08:41 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the plastic container is designed to prevent vinegar syndrome whereas the metal ones are "Ideal for packaging holiday treats, T-shirts or other gift items". [Smile] I'd probably go with the plastic ones.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-25-2002 08:46 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either can is fine for long-term storage.

Note that the polypropylene can is vented to allow release of any acid vapors from "vinegar syndrome". But your film storage area should also be well vented, and maintained at a low temperature and humidity as outlined in SMPTE Recommended Practice RP131.

The metal can is usually used for sealed storage, and may even be sealed with tape. The advantage is that they are fireproof, and will seal the film against water damage. Unlike vented cans, sealed can storage does not require strict control of relative humidity in the storage area, except to prevent rust if the can coating is damaged. But Molecular Sieves should be used inside the can to adsorb any moisture or acid vapors from the film:

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/support/technical/molecular.shtml

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2002 08:57 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even more important than the can is the environment in which they are stored. If the temperature and humidity levels are within optimum range and remain fairly constant, I can't imagine a problem with either can. If you do have any prints with vinegar syndrome make syre that they are stored away from those without, or at the very least, sealed up in a metal can, preferably with some molecular sieves.

EDIT: Looks like Mr. Pytlak beat me to the punch, I didn't see his post when I started mine. [Smile]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-25-2002 09:07 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If an acetate element is before the autocatalytic point of pH4.0, then we use a sealed can (so that offgases from autocatalytic elements won't contaminate them). If it has gone beyond that point (i.e. the offgases are so strong that they perpetuate the reaction), they're put in a vented can. Acid detection strips are used to determine what stage of decomposition an acetate element has reached.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: