Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Opaque Splicing Tape - Why? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Opaque Splicing Tape - Why?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-23-2002 12:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fail to understand the purpose of opaque splicing tape in any form. Why does it exist? Are people THAT BAD at projecting that they cannot determine if it is a reel change splice or one of the many splices they have added to the film due to "film breaks"? Are people THAT BLIND when breaking down a print? Is it worth compromising quality for the audience just so it is easier for YOU to break down a print? Also, what is up with that white tape that leaves four dots behind when peeled off?

The Landmark theaters out here still use opaque splices (we get prints from them on occasion). And they are union! What the hell?

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-23-2002 12:36 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One reason is because some booths are so poorly lit that nobody can see what they are doing. Another reason is sometimes they have to use what the corporate guys drag in, and are left with no other choice.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-23-2002 12:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not good enough reason for me. Try again! [Smile]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 11-23-2002 12:50 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because it's Cheaper!!! [Roll Eyes] [puke]

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2002 01:11 PM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once talked to a projectionist who was using small opaque stickers to maintain the 2 pieces of film in the proper position in the splicer and also to make splices stronger, then he was putting the purpose-built transparent splice above it [Eek!] . Of course it was horribly visible on the screen, and the thickness of it all caused a slight jump of the picture when going through the gate.
[puke]

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2002 02:34 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One advantage of opaque tape shows when changing trailers and snipes.
If each is connected with a foot or so of black film, the identification of the trailer or snipe can be written on the tape.
That way it is easy to locate and update or change a trailer within the pack. I used to computer-print the platter lineup and post it on the console, but the inscription on the splicing tape is foolproof
confirmation. It never shows onscreen, since it's applied over black film. I believe a brief black screen between trailers is aesthetically pleasing and helps the viewer keep them separated in memory.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-23-2002 05:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are those, like Gerard, that like the black "slug" between snipes...I, personally, can't stand them...too much like a slide show. Now a fade-down to a fade-up looks pleasing to me. But to each their own on this one.

As to opague tape, Nope, never saw the need for it. I have been known to "flag" splices with it by cutting off slivers of opague tape before the days of striped tape.

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-23-2002 05:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It never shows onscreen, since it's applied over black film. I believe a brief black screen between trailers is aesthetically pleasing and helps the viewer keep them separated in memory.
While I agree with you on having a brief pause of black on the screen so the trailer presenatation doesn't look like tv commercials all slammed together, I must disagree with you on the opaque tape not being visible when placed on black film. The only way it isn't visible is if you are well under proper SMPTE light standards. Even at 8-10 footlamberts the "extra dark" two half-frames are easily seen. Plus with so many people chopping the trailers on an actual green band frameline, this makes the first frame only appear halfway as the splice runs through the projector, which really looks bad. [puke]

If I can train high school kids how to locate ultrasonic splices with no markings of any sort, then I see no reason why anyone needs anything but clear tape.

Gerard, is that opaque tape with the name of the trailer written on the tape thing some kind of New York union policy, or just something that some of the guys follow? There are a couple of theaters in Texas that were trained by a New York union guy (I don't recall his name) and he showed them that exact procedure as well as a slew of "not friendly to film" handling methods. It took me all of 10 minutes to un-learn them of that opaque tape habit and there have been no problems since.

Mike, actually I think the yellow/white tape is more expensive than clear.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-23-2002 06:11 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Joe...How about just plain being lazy. Will that excuse work? [Big Grin]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-23-2002 06:19 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I have always asked that question, and like you, never found an even marginally reasonable answer. Anything you can say about opaque tape being "easier to see" just makes no sense -- easier to see for whom? Might as well go all the way and make all the markings on the equipment in Braille.

I try to picture the scenario at the company which was going to make splicing tape. A bunch of R&D guys sitting around thinking of what qualities were needed in a splicing tape for film. Was OPAQUE the first thing that came to mind for these bozos ....or did it come to them after months of brainstorming? Surely these people weren't PROJECTIONISTS, were they?

And what about the guys at corporate headquarters....did THEY say, we need to buy splicing tape....let's order 10,000 rolls of YELLOW tape. Do these same corporate wizards say, "Gee, I tore a page in my ledger....can someone get me some YELLOW Scotch tape to mend it?" If opaque tape is so great, how come 3M went out of its way to develop INVISIBLE Scotch tape; their R&D guys didn't come up with the bright idea to go the other way and make yellow or white opaque Scotch tape, did they? No -- because it would be a STUPID idea. And it's even more idiotic for splicing tape.

And why would this yellow stuff be any cheaper than clear tape?

And NO....almost always opaque tape adds additional a bit more opaque-ocity (yeah, my word) to black film and you STILL see that blotch of the tape when it goes by, even in a blackout. Then there are fools who write on film in the fade-to-black thinking it can't be seen because it is on black film. I CAN be seen, and if they'd look at the screen every a few times during the course of their careers, they would see what their handy work looks like.

Can you tell I've had too much cappuccino?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-23-2002 07:42 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple rule: Splices should NOT be visible to the audience, nor disrupt the sound in any way. That rules out opaque tape.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-23-2002 09:08 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The annoying white tape actually does have a real purpose, but not in the booth. It is used by sound editors when splicing mag film and uses stronger adhesive, since mag film can only be taped on one side (the base side).

I personally use Neumade clear tape for all booth work and have been very happy with it.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-23-2002 09:50 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wish opaque tape (including the Zebra tape) would just ride off in the sunset. Zebra tape will foul the SDDS and SRD tracks just as badly as the opaque tape.

John P. is right - it has no business being projected on the screen.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-23-2002 10:20 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Truth be told...any tape will foul Dolby or SDDS tracks, clear or opaque. With clear tape, the bits are way out of focus plus they are not going to be aligned that well. How well you make the splice will determine how well Dolby or SDDS digital survive the splice, not the clearness of it.

A different solution is to use a skinner tape. By not covering the tracks, the digitals track better. There are 8, 16, and 19mm wide tapes in addition to the traditional 24mm wide tapes.

Steve

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-23-2002 10:26 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinematronix
Cinematronix - Booth Supplies

If you're looking to be cheap, it looks like clear tape is the cheapest.

(8Roll) Neumade Clear $4.50

(8Roll) Neumade Yellow $4.50

(8Roll) Neumade Zebra $6.90

(6Roll) Generic Clear $3.20

(6Roll) Generic White $3.30

(6Roll) Generic Zebra $5.00

In Canadian Dollars.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: