Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Anyone at all familiar with MEO 5X projectors? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anyone at all familiar with MEO 5X projectors?
David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2002 06:46 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a couple for sale cheap and since they're current models I'm wondering about them - but since I can find no mention of them on film-tech, I'm wondering even more!! Are these Czech Kinoton clones (they look similar)?

David

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-23-2002 08:32 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The unit is still being made and I saw them in service while in Prague last year. I used to service older models many years ago since some where sold to universities and government agencies. The factory website is....
www.meopta.cz

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2002 03:07 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to operate Meopta projectors in the '70s and 80's at the Quad Theatre in Greenwich Village, showing fine foreign and art films.
The managers insisted on high quality presentation. The meoptas were rare in the US. One of the regular projectionists told me the only other known installation was in Ossening, home of Sing Sing Prison.
The Meoptas had a feature I have never seen on other projectors:
an optical window that showed a magnified image of the sound track, and a knurled adjustment to enable the operator to make micrometer adjustments to the reading of the soundtracks. I suppose this was an accommodation to prints from various countries where standardisation
was not achieved. The projectors worked well and gave good images onscreen. They appeared to be well made, steady and durable.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-23-2002 03:18 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You still find a lot of them in Germany as they were a standard projector in the eastern block. So many east German theaters still have them. They are quite sturdy and since they are still manufactured, I guess you will be able to get parts. If the price is right and the individual pieces of equipment are in good shape, you could buy them.
I haven`t seen the feature Gerard described. It sounds very interesting and is probably found on older machines.
They don`t strike me as being similar to Kinoton projectors at all.
If I remember correctly, the MEO5XB only runs at 25 frames/second as this was the standard speed for film and television in the eastern block countries.
The picture on the website shows the MEO rewinding the film, another nice feature - which doesn`t work with platters of course!
They don`t strike me as at all similar to Kinoton.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-23-2002 04:30 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The audio site window allows the track to be centered and works well in the SVA mode. The Dong Feng projector of China uses the same set up under license. The most recent models are now set up for Dolby analog and digital basement readers. They use a drag sprocket or roller to create back tension on the sound drum ( like the Ernemann )
which requires adjustment every few hundred hours. The previous models prior to the "5" series used aluminum castings which where well machined but soft in hardness, so you had to be careful not to cross thread screws in assembly.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-23-2002 06:31 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never heard of the Dong Feng projector! Do you have any info material about it and the audio tracking window systems? Pictures would be nice.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-23-2002 07:15 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dong Feng is one of the brands manufactured by the four projector manufacturers in China. It has been sold under the Spectra name in some English speaking countries. On the solar cell box on both machines is a circular window with a reference grid and just below it is micrometer controls to center the sound tracks; works surprisingly well.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-23-2002 10:07 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a magnifying glass incorporated in the device?

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2002 05:23 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reference to Kinoton was simply because the machine looked similar to a Kinoton 'studio' machine I briefly saw a picture of some time ago...not being an expert in these matters I could be completely mistaken [Smile] Physical appearance doesn't imply mechanical similarity of course, but I just wondered if it might be a clone.

David

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-24-2002 10:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course Philips pioneered the magnified soundtrack window on their soundheads that were used on the FP5, 6, and 7. As well as on the DP-70/AA-2 projectors. One could view the soundtrack magnified about 5X or 6X on the actual scanning slit itself!
I seem to remember that MEOPTA once had a display at Showest a number of years back.
Mark @ CLACO

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-24-2002 11:21 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at their web page, I can see why one might think that the Meo 5 resembles a Kinoton. Both have an exposed film path (not shielded with a door, like on American-made machines) and both are designed such that the projector head, soundhead, and reel arms are all part of the same unit (I'm leaving the newer Kinotons out of the discussion here).

I doubt that the similarities go beyond these design elements, however.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2002 11:41 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was once told that the Meo5x was a copy of a Bauer U4.

Serge Bosschaerts
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2002 12:54 PM      Profile for Serge Bosschaerts   Author's Homepage   Email Serge Bosschaerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only Philips, also Bauer on the B12 in 1951 had this standard on their optical soundreader.

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2002 05:23 PM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The soundtrack system is called macroprojection. The Philips FP5 used it also. You magnify the soundtrack and that way you can also increase the splitwidth. So the macrosystem uses lenses to magnify the soundtrack itself. (the microsystem uses lenses to produce a small narrow light bundle which goes through the soundtrack)

You can view the position of the soundtrack through a window and you can correct it. You can also sharpen the soundtrack image.

Why isn't this system used anymore? It is easy and more practical then aligning a solarcell. Or is the macrosystem not precise enough?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-24-2002 06:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It tends to also magnify any errors due to weave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: