Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Why do IB prints smell so bad? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why do IB prints smell so bad?
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-22-2002 07:42 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently we ran Apocalypse Now, and this weekend we're running Rear Window. Both were nice relatively recent Technicolor IB prints on polyester stock. And both have smelled rather nasty. I'm not sure how to describe the smell. It's certainly not vinegar, but it is pungent, though it becomes less noticable after the cans have been open to the air for a while, but as you turn over a fresh wrap from a reel, it's still noticable.

So, what's the smell, and what causes it? It implies to me that something isn't stable about the IB process, and that there's still a reaction going on. Clues?

--jhawk

|  IP: Logged

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2002 07:57 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I recently ran a short, for a film festival, that had allegedly been Photoguarded (or at least that's what the note in the can claimed). Not only did the print have a bad mottle, it also had a strong, strange odor--sort of a cross between Pine-Sol cleaner and cat pee. (FilmGuard definitely does not smell like this!)

So, maybe the prints had some sort of protectant applied?

Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2002 08:04 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Second on the PHOTOGUARD.... When we run prints in IMAX that are Photogaurded the whole booth really stinks.... [thumbsdown]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-22-2002 09:30 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UV-cured polymer coatings can have a very pungent odor, especially if there are unreacted components.

I have found dye transfer prints to sometimes have a very slight (fishy? seaweed?) odor, but have never found it unpleasant. Historically, the image dyes have had a good reputation for stability.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-22-2002 10:14 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only noticed the 'dead fish' smell with new IB prints (on ESTAR-base stock). The old (pre-mid-1970s) IB prints that I have seen don't have this smell. I haven't personally handled nitrate IB prints, so I don't know what they smell like.

Agreed to the comments on Photoguard and its nasty smell. It does create an odd textured surface on the print, but that doesn't seem to affect sharpness when projected. The major problem with that process is that it can accelerate vinegar syndrome in acetate-base prints.

(Side note: a good fish store shouldn't smell "fishy" at all; the smell indicates that the product may not be fresh.)

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-22-2002 10:26 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lack of smell on older dye transfer print may just be the age. I recall a similar maritime smell when I projected many IB prints from 1967-1970.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2002 06:44 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The intensity of the odor seems to vary with the print. Both dye-transfer prints I ran of "13th Warrior" had a strong 'maritime' smell. I don't remember my first-run print of "Apocalypse" having it at all. An "Apocalypse" print I saw recently, however, did have the smell, but not as strongly as I remember with the brand-new "Warrior" prints.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-23-2002 01:51 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott said:

quote:
I've only noticed the 'dead fish' smell with new IB prints (on ESTAR-base stock). The old (pre-mid-1970s) IB prints that I have seen don't have this smell. I haven't personally handled nitrate IB prints, so I don't know what they smell like.

I have handled, but never projected, dye transfer nitrate material; and have never noticed a 'fishy' smell to it. The only colour nitrate material I have projected was a short length of 1020s two colour cemented positive material, which didn't smell of anything much. I have a black and white nitrate print which has a sort of hospital/antiseptic smell to it, I don't know what this is, other prints don't seem to have it. This print is not decomposing, it is in very good condition.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2002 04:06 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed the fish smell on the recent "Gone With The Wind" (1999) prints. You could always tell which projector was playing it just by walking past and taking a whiff! That thing would shed like a monster, too.

=TMP=

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-23-2002 07:48 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen Furley wrote: "I have a black and white nitrate print which has a sort of hospital/antiseptic smell to it, I don't know what this is, other prints don't seem to have it. This print is not decomposing, it is in very good condition."

That odor may be camphor, which was one of the plasticizers used during the days of cellulose nitrate prints to make the film more flexible. Smells kind of like "Vicks VapoRub"?

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2002 12:34 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have many IB nitrate short subjects, they all smell like old nitrate in good condition.
Matter of fact the IB tech film is in better condition than later B&W
nitrate. [Big Grin]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-24-2002 02:55 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Wrote:

quote:

That odor may be camphor, which was one of the plasticizers used during the days of cellulose nitrate prints to make the film more flexible. Smells kind of like "Vicks VapoRub"?

No, it's not camphor, most of the nitrate I have handled does smell of this, especially if you warm it up a bit by projecting it; there is usually a noticable smell of camphor in a projection box where nitrate is being run. This print does indeed smell slightly of camphor, but the other smell is different, and stronger. I have never smelt anything like it on another print, on any type of base.

When you first open the can the smell is quite strong, but almost disappears if the can is left open to the air for an hour or two; it comes back if the can is left closed for a few weeks, but is now much less strong than it was when I acquired the print. I think it may be something that the print has been treated with at some time in its life, and which is gradually being lost by evaporation. Apart from some dirt and scratching in the first minute or so, the prnt looks like new.

I don't keep this material at home, all the nitrate which I have, one feature, two shorts and a few short clips, is stored for me by an archive, in a proper nitrate vault. They also have most of the safety material that I no longer have room to store, they store it for me free of charge, I have access to it when I need it, and, in return, they can use it when they want to, subject of course to negotiations with whoever owns the rights. The film gets preserved, it is accessible to people who may want to see it, and it doesn't cost me anything. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

In my original post I should, of course, have said 1920s, not 1020s. I know colour film goes back a long time, but not that far!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-24-2002 08:24 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen Furley wrote: "I don't keep this material at home, all the nitrate which I have, one feature, two shorts and a few short clips, is stored for me by an archive, in a proper nitrate vault. They also have most of the safety material that I no longer have room to store, they store it for me free of charge, I have access to it when I need it, and, in return, they can use it when they want to, subject of course to negotiations with whoever owns the rights. The film gets preserved, it is accessible to people who may want to see it, and it doesn't cost me anything. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me."

For those who have historically significant films, especially flammable nitrate, this is the proper way to keep them for posterity. [Smile] Nitrate should NEVER be stored in an occupied residence or public place like a theatre, and belongs in a recognized film archive that properly stores nitrate films.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-24-2002 09:13 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both of the 'recent' IB titles I have handled (GWTW '98 and Apt Pupil) had the 'dead fish' odor...

None of my 60s and 70s IB trailers have any smell.

-Aaron

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-25-2002 12:21 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to buy a nitrate feature or short but I have no idea how it would be legally transported other than personally by auto.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: