Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP500 fader going to 0.0

Author Topic: CP500 fader going to 0.0
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 09:14 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a couple reports of this with two witnessed accounts.

My staff happened to be right at the processor checking on things when they both, at separate occasions, saw the fader automatically go down to 0.0. Luckily, since they were there, they just dialed it back up to where it was running prior. There are no remote faders hooked up.

Could this be a software thing? Could dust accumulation do that?

Thanks
Paul.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-21-2002 11:33 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Did it happen at a cue? Did it happen when the processor was changing sound formats? There aren't any fader settings hard programmed into the soft keys, right?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-21-2002 03:19 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe electrical noise on the automation input triggers the mute function. Does the fader go to 0.0 instantly? Is the mute LED on?

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 04:49 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No to all of the above. It just happens randomly.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 06:56 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correcly the CP500 does not display the local fader if a remote fader is connected but just "AU".
So if you see the fader go down to 0.0 I believe that the knob mechanism (switches? I do not know) is failing.

Bye
Antonio

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 07:05 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What formats do you have assigned to the soft keys? And what fader settings do they have assigned to them? Is it possible that there is a failsafe setup to trigger the muting at the end of the feature?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-21-2002 07:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ran across one that did the same thing intermitently put the CP500 on a UPS no problems since

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2002 12:19 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should mention that, while testing out a returned 500 on the bench, the other day, i tried turning the fader up, but the led indicator was going down. I found no matter which way I turned the fader, the number just kept going down, finally landing at zero. Haven't had the opportunity to investigate yet.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2002 05:36 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Muting the CP500 won't change the fader setting on the display but just light the "mute" led.

Bye
Antonio

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-22-2002 06:38 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, look up the topic "CP 500 volume changes are audible???". There is some (as usual) very useful insight from Steve G. on the nature of the CP500 volume control which might lead the way to answer your question.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-22-2002 06:41 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it rapidly reduce the volume to 0.0 (like if you give the dial a good spin) or does it go to 0.0 instantly?

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2002 10:21 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, it's like giving it a good spin. My engineer thinks it might be something in the front panel thats doing this.

Soft keys:
Mono - 01 -- ???
SR-A - 04 -- ??? (Don't remember)
SR - 05 -- Non-Sync 1
DIG - 10 -- Non-Sync 2

The are no auto fader setting or any other automatic settings except for auto digital detect to send it to mode 10.

Rick, we had one do that too and had to replace the front cover.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-22-2002 10:28 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it is either a faulty shaft encoded or a faulty connection between the shaft encoder and the circuit board. Do you have another CP-500 that you could trade doors with so that you can determine if it is infact something on the door that is causing the problem?

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2002 10:34 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I traded doors and the problem is indeed, with the front door. Thanks to all for the advice.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: