Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How Old Is Your Oldest Projector? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How Old Is Your Oldest Projector?
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2002 06:55 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

My cinema supplier was here this morning doing a check up to see what our cinema needed. He was astounded when he read the serial numbers off of our two Simplex XL projectors. We have #318 and #1606. He figures that since XLs were first manufactured in 1949 that one of our machines is from 1949 and the other one is from 1950 something.

So my oldest projector is 53 years old!

I know a theatre that just opened using Super Simplex.

Simplex Regular 1909
Simplex Standard 1916
Simplex Super 1928
Simplex E-7 1939
Simplex XL 1949

I work at the Telluride Film Festival that still uses Brenkers. Brenkerts were last manufactured in 1956.

How old is your oldest projector?

P.S. I'm thinking of getting rid of my 8-year-old car but I'm keeping my 53-year-old projectors. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-20-2002 07:06 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would also be interesting to know how many hours they have on them (if you know with any degree of accuracy).

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2002 07:13 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 Simplex X-L's from 1954, 2 SH-1000's from 1941. My guess is a little over 50,000 hours on the projectors, about 68,000 hours on the soundheads. Neither of them have ever needed to be completely overhauled to my knowledge.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-20-2002 07:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My projectors are probably close to 40 years old, but they sure don't act like it! They act more like 426 years old.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2002 07:30 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was working at a place briefly that had Simplex E-7. It said 1939 right on it. I converted it from carbon arc to xenon. WoW... that thing was old.

The people that owned it had a "good" xenon bulb sitting in the lamphouse in storage.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2002 08:40 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Brenkert and I are both over 50. I'll probably stop functioning before it does. It's certainly going to outlast my Christie! (Yeah, I know the picture shows a Super, but it's found another home...it WAS my oldest machine, but it found a new home.)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-20-2002 09:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My oldest at home is a Norelco DP-70. This is a unique DP-70 as it's original home was the Seattle Cinerama Theatre. Its mate was dropped when they were being removed, but its present owner has found another main casting to put its guts back into. Other unique features are that it has a "Cinefocus" 70mm trap assembly, and a RED LED reverse scanner of my own design [thumbsup] . Have had many, many projectors at home over the past years, but keep going back to these beasts [Big Grin] .

-

In the field the oldest I service are a bunch of Motiograph AA's up in Idaho. There are 5 of them in a plex in Burley and one downtown in a single screen. They run like a top, but they are very boring and require VERY LITTLE service, sort of the Maytag of Movie projectors [sleep] . All are equipped with RED LED reverse scanners by Kelmar.

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2002 09:15 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
6 Simplex 1014's & 6 5 Stars between 20 & 30 years of age since they were made by NTS/NSS.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-20-2002 10:06 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week, I ran film at a theatre which opened in 1938 and is still using their original Enarc lamps and Western Electric soundheads/bases (the ones with the gearing for Vitaphone turntables). They have Century C heads, though, which were apparently installed in the early '50s with CinemaScope.

At the Williamsburg Theatre, we had Century MSA/2 projectors s/n 150 and 151. Can anyone date these? They were apparently installed there in the '70s, after being purchased used from a drive-in.

I regularly run Century JJ s/n 118, which I assume is from the early '60s.

Does anyone know when Century Cs switched from the small lens holder to the large one? I've worked with several Cs (great machines!), mostly with the small lens holder.

Tonight I ran film on Simplexes built in 1998. My car is twelve years old.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-21-2002 02:02 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The oldest daily operating projectors in my chain are the 4 Simplex XL's (most likely 1950's vintage, on 1940's SH-100x soundheads) in screens 1-2-3(soundhead only)-5-6 at our Fortuna, CA location. The other two projectors are a 1970s NSS Simplex 1014(on a SH-1000) and a 1980's NSS 1014 on a 5-Star.

The newest projectors we have are 1992 model Simplex 1050's/5-Star in Cloverdale, CA (all 4 screens) and screens 5-6 in Boyes Springs, CA.

-Aaron

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 03:40 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lumiere Cinematographe Number 8 manufactured in 1895 [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 04:20 AM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After seeing some of the dates listed re the Simplex series I don't know just which model my pair are.
I was always under the impression that they were E7's but they have front & rear shutters which mine does not and the door is different as well. Mine have a hole in the casting to install a hand winder if I feel inclined... but I don't.
I have a Simplex Parts Price List in my hand and it is clearly labelled 1936 and comparing the bits and pieces in there with what I have it seems that mine are Super Simplex.
Both are fitted with double bearing intermittents and neither has an original Simplex serial number plate on them.
These have been modified years ago with a heavier rear shutter housing and a sturdy front plate and top to allow mounting of the scope lens bracket which was all done in West Australia by a guy called Bernie Hartland.
He had quite busy workshop machining parts and repairing assorted 35mm gear during the late 1940'2 thru to around early 1960's.
I supsect that my pair were used in drive ins in the north of the state of WA as one of mine was labelled "Newman" which was Mount Newman of iron ore fame and did once have a DI.
It has a fairly substantially shaved shutter which gives me a bit of the odd travel ghost top and bottom but a slight twitch on the shutter timing screw soon fixes that up.
Before I set them up in the outdoor cinema I rebuilt both with spares from the pile I have acquired and for 5 years they ran each summer season without a hitch. (3 shows a week for 22 weeks)
At the end of season 5 the upper feed sprocket shaft bearing was showing a bit of wear so I stripped them down and had a mate bore and insert a new bushing in bronze so they are nice and snug again.
The shaft/s had almost zero wear at the point where they turn in the bearing which was quite amazing really as I have no idea just how many hours of film these old girls have screened.
We have just started season 7 and after a bit of a clean up, some light oiling here and there, they are again just purring along with the traditional Simplex gear grumble and touch wood they have never failed during a show apart from the odd belt breakage.
Truly amazing old ladies and I hope my car which is 3 years old is as reliable in 5 years as these are.
Built like tanks, solid engineering and a testament to the era in which they were built.
I would like to see a Monee do the same hours these have done.
Even the soundheads are just as rugged. Westrex 206B's which I believe was about the second edition soundhead after talkies were introduced. They have a flywheel that weighs a packet sitting on a shaft that is about 3/4" in diam and bronze bushes throughout and even now I am battling to detect any wear in any of the shafts or bearings. Still running photo electric cells which are about the same size as a 40 watt bulb, no noise, no hum , no problems but Mono of course.
Simplex may not be the most elegant looking beasts and not the easiest to thread but they are extremely functional and give a rock steady picture on a 10m screen. [Big Grin]
Lindsay Morris
Kookaburra Outdoor Cinema
Mundaring WA
Australia

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 06:38 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two Brenkert BX-40's from 1940.
Two SH-1000's from 1941.
A Motio AA built in 1948.

Just acquired from a closed theater:
Simplex E-7 (oblique shaft - probably 1938 - 1942)
Brenkert BX-60 (Robert Sprague says circa 1950)
RCA MI 9050 soundhead (No idea when)

Most of this stuff predates me, I was born in 1947! [Big Grin]

Geoffrey Weiss
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 10:28 AM      Profile for Geoffrey Weiss   Email Geoffrey Weiss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 Simplex Standards w/SH 1000 soundheads. I haven't checked the dates for sure, but probably about 1930, which is when the theatre I removed them from converted to movies. I just recently got one of them up and running--sans the original Magnarc, of course. I just don't have three-phase in my house.

I did a little research around town and, as far as I could tell, everything I took out of that theatre had run from the time it was installed up to 1985. They didn't even convert to XLs when they started showing scope movies. They did have magnetic penthouses, but were still running mono phototubes in 1985.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-21-2002 11:30 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They didn't even convert to XLs when they started showing scope movies
Can someone elaborate? Why would the introduction of scope possibly trigger an upgrade from Standards to XLs? [Embarrassed]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: