Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New KODAK VISION2 Color Negative Film

Author Topic: New KODAK VISION2 Color Negative Film
John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-20-2002 09:36 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak just introduced the first of its new VISION2 Color Negative Films for motion-picture production:

KODAK VISION2 Color Negative Film

KODAK VISION2 Color Negative Press Release

One of the patented new Kodak technologies that allow for a significant improvement in image quality is "Two-Electron Sensitizing":

Kodak Two-Electron Sensitizing

I have seen the introduction demonstration (a 35mm "music video" with Mandy Moore) and was VERY impressed with the improvement in sharpness, grain and color.

"Coming soon to a theatre near you!"

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-20-2002 05:22 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep up the good work guys, this one looks very promising [thumbsup]

My hats off to the guys at Kodak.

Josh

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2002 11:53 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

In your opinion are the older products like 5245 (50 ASA) still better than these newest developments in the higher-speed arena? That is, if you can spend more money on lighting, the 5245 will still produce finer-grained, saturated images?

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2002 11:54 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds very cool. I can't wait to start seeing movies filmed with this.

So, will there be a new line of VISION2 print films any time soon? [Big Grin]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-21-2002 08:35 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher Seo asked: "In your opinion are the older products like 5245 (50 ASA) still better than these newest developments in the higher-speed arena? That is, if you can spend more money on lighting, the 5245 will still produce finer-grained, saturated images?"

Look at the technical data, available for all Kodak motion picture films on the Kodak website:

5245 Data

5218 Data

5245 still is the best motion-picture film on the market for sharpness and low graininess. Not unexpected for a film that is over 4 stops slower.

But compare 5218 to any other EI-500 film on the market, and the improvement is amazing! [Cool] The new Kodak VISION2 technologies used in that film open up a whole new world of improvements for Kodak's color negative films, regardless of speed. [thumbsup]

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2002 06:33 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the pleasure of hosting Kodak Australia for the Vision2 launch at one of our theatres next week. I'm looking forward to seeing it. (We'll ensure we have around 16fl on screen John, or should we boost to 18 - 19 to really show it off!).

My choice of camera film? EXR 50D........65mm of course.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-26-2002 07:39 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David: KODAK VISION2 500T Color Negative Film looks great with any proper amount of light on the screen. [Smile] The prints were of course optimized for 16 footlamberts, per standard SMPTE 196M.

Projecting at a higher screen luminance will make the "milky" shadows and graininess on the underexposed older film comparison more obvious. The new film has much less graininess, "richer" blacks, and more shadow detail. Having seen the Mandy Moore "music video" part of the demo, the new film will "sing" at any screen luminance.

I think I'll try looking at it with a three blade shutter (to eliminate shutter flicker) and 40 or 50 footlamberts just to see how good film can look. For your audience, stick with the standard 16 footlamberts.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-04-2002 07:44 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More details on some of the new technology being used for the new KODAK VISION2 Color Negative Film:

Kodak R&D

KODAK VISION2 Technology

Kodak Two Electron Sensitization

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-04-2002 08:15 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak is scheduling screenings throughout the world. Contact your local Kodak sales office for information:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about/pmiWW.shtml

For example, our Hollywood office is having screenings each Tuesday. And there will be a presentation and screening of the new KODAK VISION2 Film in Austin TX on Thursday, December 19.

AUSTIN SHOWING

Eastman Kodak cordially invites you to see the next
generation of Motion Picture Film: Kodak Vision2

Join us on Thursday, December 19th, 2002 at 6:30pm
at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
409 Colorado Street
Austin, TX

RSVP to: (630) 910-4929 or e-mail your RSVP to shootfilm@kodak.com

The screening will take place from 7pm until 8pm and will be followed
by a Fajita reception from 8pm until 9pm

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-04-2002 09:07 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who haven't been, I can definitely recommend checking out the Kodak demo screenings. I attended one a few years ago at the Charles Theatre in Baltimore for the introduction of Vision 800T camera film and the Vision and Vision Premiere print stocks. They had two nice demo reels with footage photographed and printed on all of these stocks and there was a good Q&A session afterwards. Most of the attendees seemed to be directors and DPs of TV commercials, but there were some feature-film and documentary people there as well.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2002 09:10 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I guess this will mean an improvement in picture quality WITHOUT having to invest in new projectors? What a novel idea--it's a pity this can't be made as exciting as DIGITAL.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-05-2002 10:19 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary Charles wrote: "So I guess this will mean an improvement in picture quality WITHOUT having to invest in new projectors? What a novel idea--it's a pity this can't be made as exciting as DIGITAL."

IMHO, it's alot more exciting than DIGITAL. [Big Grin]

Maybe Kodak should say that we sell full-color image sensors having over 12 megapixels of resolution, and greater dynamic range than any other sensor on the market, for less than 4 cents ($0.04 US) each! For convenience in handling and storage, they are supplied in bulk roll form on a clear plastic base. They are compatible with recording and display equipment that has remained basically the same for over 100 years, yet has evolved in sophistication, capabilities and image quality. Processed and stored properly, they have demonstrated life expectancies much greater than any other digital media, with many examples over 100 years old. [Smile]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2002 12:34 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I share your opinion. Film is a proven medium with backwards compatibility no new format will ever match. As long as Kodak continues to trumpet these innovations, it just may make all that digital hype a little harder to hear.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-13-2002 06:37 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just a reminder. Get your RSVP in as soon as possible. We
might run out of food if we don't know your coming. I'm looking
forward to seeing you all there! BTW students are welcome. Remember
we will be in both Dallas and Austin.

Dick Hoff
Kodak (Dallas TX)

DALLAS SHOWING

Join us on Wednesday, December 18th, 2002 at 6:30pm
at the Angelika Film Center and Cafe
5321 East Mockingbird Lane, Suite 230
Dallas, TX

by a reception
from 8pm until 9pm

See what's next in motion picture film production!

AUSTIN SHOWING

Join us on Thursday, December 19th, 2002 at 6:30pm
at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
409 Colorado Street
Austin, TX

by a reception
from 8pm until 9pm

See what's next in motion picture film production!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: