Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dowser Mfg. Corp. ?

Author Topic: Dowser Mfg. Corp. ?
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-19-2002 09:12 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: Thread topic has been renamed. Was "Dowser vs. Douser" but that proved to be sensitive. Thank goodness for the new rename feature or I'd never live down that lapse in my judgement.

While searching for something on Google, I stumbled across a web site that reminded me of another thread that went off-topic and became a debate about whether it's "dowser" or "douser". I found this: Dowser Mfg. reference #1

The caption for the first photo says
quote:
Each projector has a Dowser Manufacturing Corp. automatic shutter control, Pat. No. 923042, serial numbers 5321 an 5322
So I searched Google on "Dowser Manufacturing Corp" (also "Mfg") and came up with this: Dowser Mfg. reference #2
quote:
...Presto Changeover Auto Shutter controls, manufactured by Dowser Mfg. Corp. New York.
I don't recall anyone mentioning a company named "Dowser Mfg Corp" making projector equipment. But this does seem to suggest that the correct spelling is "dowser", not "douser".

For what it's worth. [Big Grin] I just thought this was kind of interesting.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-19-2002 09:18 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Encyclopaedia Britannica says both spellings are correct, neither of them being specifically American or British.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-19-2002 09:30 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A way of spelling a word can make it into common use just by, well, being used a lot. "Douser" may be an accepted spelling after this many years have elapsed.

I'm wondering if "Dowser Mfg. Corp" took its name from the part they were manufacturing, or if the part was named after the company that designed it. Like was there someone named Joe Dowser who designed this patented component and named it after himself.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-19-2002 09:34 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do we have to rehash this again?
Wasn't it enough in the thread Christie P35GS Dowser Question?

In any case, it should be clear that when there are two spellings of a word, one particular company choosing to use one of them hardly means that the other spelling is incorrect.

There are reasonable arguments on both sides, 'nuff said.

--jhawk

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-19-2002 09:39 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I started this thread was not to debate the spelling, it was to point out that there was a "Dowser Mfg. Corp." involved in making projection equipment. Sorry if I stepped over some kind of line. I should have realized that it might be humiliating to a professional such as yourself to learn something about your industry from a non-professional such as me. What was I thinking.

I know there are some people here who hate the fact that non-professionals are allowed to join Film-Tech. Is that what's going on here? Brad should maybe kick me out if I'm that obnoxious. I can go join Andrew McCrea over at bigscreenbiz. [Roll Eyes]

I never said "douser" is incorrect either.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-19-2002 10:49 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, one big downside of being able to rename topics is when the thread seems to be about the topic title and then it gets renamed.

David, I could care less whether you're "professional" or not; I am rather unclear on why it is interesting that there is such a company, perhaps I am simply a crotchety grumpy person. It has been suggested before.

--jhawk

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-19-2002 10:59 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After the lengthy "dowser" vs. "douser" debate, it seemed interesting to me that there was a company called "Dowser Mfg. Corp." making projection equipment. Maybe it's not so interesting after all.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 11:29 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dowser Mfg. Co. made picture changeover units for various brands of projector heads much the same as Strong made the "Zipper" changeover before Essannay Electric took over.

From what I have seen, the modern Kelmar changeover is very close in design to the Dowser Mfg. Co. unit. One theater I know of has 2 black Simplex XL's with these Dowser Mfg changeovers on them (still working I might add). I have yet to find any manuals, parts lists, or instruction sheets for these units. If I ever do run across any paper on these changeovers, I'll copy it off and send it in for the manuals section here.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2002 09:18 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dowser Manufacturing Company made Thide changeovers from the late twenties till the early sixties. They were later made by Dave Corbett Projection Products.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: