Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Speaker Wiring: Where to run it?

Author Topic: Speaker Wiring: Where to run it?
Edward O'Shaughnessy
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2002 03:33 PM      Profile for Edward O'Shaughnessy   Email Edward O'Shaughnessy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be rewiring my theatre, and I have a question about where to run the wire. I have four 400W Metal-Halide cleaning bulbs two above each aisle and two AC units directly in front of my screen, each positioned directly in front of a speaker. The current wire for the screen speakers is run directly down the center through conduit, but I can't run my new wire through conduit. Is it wise to run my new wire in a similar fashion as the old wire, or should I find a new way to run it?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-18-2002 08:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as the cable is twisted pairs it isn't too fussy where it is placed as long as it isn't close and parralell to a high cureent conductor

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 07:42 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to keep in mind...if your return air is through your open plenum you should, and in most communities must use special wire with non combustible insulation for open runs through the plenum. Slightly more expensive but no big deal. Check it out.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-19-2002 09:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best to do it according to local codes in your area. You wouldn't want to have to pull it all back out just to please some stupid electrical inspector.
Mark

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-19-2002 09:08 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The codes are there to protect the public, and are usually based on good engineering practice. Admittedly, they can sometimes be enforced arbitrarily.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-19-2002 09:19 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plenum rated cables are FT4 jacketed

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: