Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need help finding fan for Strong power supply

Author Topic: Need help finding fan for Strong power supply
Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2002 10:21 AM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been trying to find a new fan for my Strong xenon power supply (model number 61000-1). The one in it now works, but only if I tap it to get it going, and then sometimes it stops.

Here is what is written on the current fan:
Rotron, Inc.
Centaur Model CR2A1
115V
W23/16
Hz 50/60
Impedence Protected

I tried looking up Rotron on the net. They have a site, but nothing listed for this particular fan.

I also tried looking in my Jameco Electronics catalog. But I don't know enough about this subject to be able to find a comparable one.

Can any of you please suggest what fan I should get?

Thanks!!

Tony

|  IP: Logged

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2002 10:23 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean to state the obvious, but have you tried going through your cinema supplier and having them order one through Strong?

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2002 12:27 PM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong part number for that fan is 45227. Should be a 4" Fan.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2002 12:54 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dayton (Grainger) part number is 4C550 and it sells for $22.30. You can order it online at www.grainger.com

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2002 08:29 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Grainger [Smile]
If you have an Electronics Parts Dealer you might check with them also.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-19-2002 01:31 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these the rectifiers that are the big black cases with the knob on the top. If so I would get the blower type fans with the squirrel cages. Just need to get the size that will fit the screw holes. At the old theater that I worked at years ago, we did this to help prevent diode failure

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 12:50 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grainger! Why didn't I think of them before?
I'll get it from them.

I thought about calling Strong or a cinema supplier. But it seems like such a generic looking fan, that I figured I could get a substitute from a different place and hopefully pay less.

Thank you all for the info - it is invaluable as always!!

Tony

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 07:07 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you order the fan from Strong, they'll likely send you the Grainger motor!

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 07:16 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a high quality brand of fan that most major manufacturers use in their products you may try buying from. http:/www.nidec.com

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 07:18 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me retype that. http://www.nidec.com

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-19-2002 09:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are here http://www.comairrotron.com/ after a name change to Comair/Rotron. Its best to stick with the original fan, or at least be sure to confirm that the Grainger generic same size replacement produces the equivelent airflow or you could set yourself up for over temp conditions on a hot summer day.
What you really need to get away from is the noisy, irritating, whinney sounding fans that Strong used in alot of their products while you're at it.
Mark @ CLACO

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-19-2002 11:44 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew, why do you stubbornly refuse to use the edit button when you need to correct something you've already posted? Is it a phobia of some sort?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-20-2002 06:03 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's because he is testing my nerves. [Mad]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-20-2002 06:14 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm... how about I write something that automatically signs you up to all the spam sending sites I can find if you reply to yourself too many times. [evil]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-20-2002 06:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good start, but not quite evil enough for self-repliers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: