Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 35mm Equipment rental

Author Topic: 35mm Equipment rental
Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2002 08:46 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am doing some research on rentals of 35mm projectors. Our building will be shut down for several months in 2004. For four months over the summer, we will be setting up an outdoor screening/event facility (most likely a sturdy tent) with a structure for the projection/tech booth. I need to do a cost analysis of renting projection equipment versus moving our exisiting equipment for that period of time. (At this point I am guessing that a rental will be cost prohibitive, but I need to weigh the options.)

Can anyone recommend a company that could provide such a service? Basically, we would require two 35mm projectors equipped for running 2000' changeover with no more than 2K lamps. (We have not yet determined our screen size.) The projectors do not need to be portable, but smaller is better as space will be extremely limited and the booth will be used for many different types of events. Currently, we are planning to use our own sound equipment,

Advice is, as always, welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-18-2002 11:52 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boston Light & Sound

Disclaimer: I used to work for them when they do shows in 'Vegas. Great people, great equipment, great service. [thumbsup]

Regards,

Paul
Mercenary video/16/35/70mm/IMAX Dome projectionist
"When the money runs out, so does I."
LAS and LAX

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-18-2002 06:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your best bet is to buy something used and put together a small portable system to do this. For what most dealers would charge you to rent you the stuff, you could easily pay for your own stuff!!
Mark

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-20-2002 02:20 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mark. We rented for the first year for a short two months with a similar setup -- double change-over system -- just the projectors and using our own sound system. We quickly realized that we could have bought a refurbished used system for what it cost us to rent. We did buy the summer. Rental makes sense for a single event -- a screening for a weekend, let's say, but once you are talking about an extended period, unless the rental house is giving you an exceptionally good deal, it would be cheaper to look into a used package.

After you're back in your regular theatre, you can either use the system as emergency spares, or you might find that the outdoor thing is so popular that you just keep doing it during the summers. Or you can always sell the system and recoupe at least some of your investment.

Frank

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-20-2002 05:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely, put together your own system. It will save you money in the long run over renting.

BTW I mention this because many people don't think about it, but if you are going to buy some equipment, try to buy what you have. For example, if you have Christie P35GPS projector heads in your regular theater, try and purchase used P35GPS projector heads for your mobile setup. That way not only are you getting what you need for "location setups", but you are also getting the best parts inventory you can imagine for your regular booth. [thumbsup]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-20-2002 02:29 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you have Centurys buy Centurys, if you have Simplexes buy Simplexes, if you have Christies buy Centurys OR Simplexes!! [Big Grin]

BTW, is the plural of Century, as a proper name, Centurys or Centuries (as would be the plural of century, the period of time). I don't there is a "right" answer because properly, one would pluralize it as Century projectors.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-20-2002 03:14 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming "Century" is a Trade Mark, it would be properly used as an adjective, not as a noun or verb.

For example, a XEROX copier makes XEROX copies.

NOT, "...here's a xerox of the document" or "I am going to xerox this document".

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-20-2002 09:09 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly my point. Speaking of which did George Eastman call his little box a Kodak or a Kodak camera?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-20-2002 09:33 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He called it a KODAK. [Smile] (Mr. Eastman lived in simpler days, when law was not as complicated).

http://www.kodakgirl.com/kodakgirlsframe.htm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: