Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex E-7 oil pump repairs

Author Topic: Simplex E-7 oil pump repairs
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2002 12:34 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got 3 E-7 machines now with all the same problems: broken sight glasses in the G-55 one shot oil reservoir (oil pump unit) allowing all the oil to leak out. I'm having a tough time finding any new ones. Seems that Wolk and Lavezzi no longer make these parts. Has anyone had any luck with having local glass shops make these? I tried a local shop about a year ago and their glass was either too thin or too thick to fit in the pump.

My E-7's still have rock steady pictures. Am I going to have to learn the fine art of glass cutting???

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-17-2002 01:21 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup!

I made some windows for a Super movement out of a Windex bottle for a drive-in theatre in South Dakota once. They lasted the entire season.

Josh had a leaky one, also. But I don't remember what he did to fix it.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2002 03:14 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,
Why don't you cut them or have someone cut them out of a good clear plastic. You should be able to seal that OK. Plan B find some junker E-7's cheap.
Dick

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-17-2002 04:00 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to look in a hardware store for some Lexan. It's strong and clear, we use it in aircraft windshields.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2002 06:21 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Ken,

What is the thickness of the glass you are in need of?

I am sure we can find the material you need as there is glass in thickness from microscope slide cover glass to 1/4" thick plate glass.

The Broadway Theatre in Mt Pleasant Michigan has 2 E7's they have no use for. Sam Staples is the President of that group. SWS333@chartermi.net

Hope that will help you.

KEN

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2002 10:59 AM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ones on the E7s I have are .090" thick plastic with the words "Full" and "Refill" hot stamped in. Home Depot Lexan storm window material is .095" thick. Should work fine with oil. I found the right size Gaskets and O-rings in the plumbing department at Sears, so most plumbing suppliers should have them.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2002 12:26 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete:

Mine are all plastic and all have the "full" and "Refill" markings. I never thought about Sears stores for the gaskets. Good idea, never even thought about using Lexan. Maybe I should check the local glass companies and have them cut these in Lexan. That should stand up to the oil and temperature extremes we have at the Skyline drive-in.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-18-2002 09:22 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have stopped slow leaks in those windows with blue permatex. works good in Back covers too:)

Josh

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-18-2002 06:56 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any thick clear plastic packaging labeled "PETE" (recycle number "1") or polyethylene Terephthalate should be unaffected by oil. (It's the same plastic that polyester film is made of):

Plastics

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2002 11:31 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Plan B find some junker E-7's cheap"

These were my favourite projectors of the Simplex clan. I hate the thought that some of them have been neglected to the point where they could now be considered as "junkers".

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 08:32 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, E-7's are also one of my favorite projectors. One of the most stable picture I have seen. You either loved or hated them. Ran lots of film through them and still support two home booths with E-7's running. Sometimes we do find a few of them in such sad state that all one can do is strip them and save the parts to keep others running. That is becomming more common these days.

Ken, I don't think the heat of your DI will bother a good plastic. As long as it handles oil and is sealed properly you should have no problems.
Dick

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 11:18 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick:

What happens at the Skyline is during the summer the sun shines directly into the big picture windows of the booth directly onto the oil pump sight plastics for at least 8 hours a day. I think the ultraviolet rays are disintegrating the plastic. Bob McRae replaced the one sight glass plastic on our main projector only 4 years ago and it has now turned brown and cracked. Naturally all the oil leaked out.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-19-2002 11:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,
There are these funny things called window shades.........might they help your melting plastic situation?
We have a pile of old E-7's at CLACO. If anyone needs a part just give us a call and I'll see if its on the machine and let you know what shape it is in. We also ahve a ton of NOS Simplex parts.
Mark @ CLACO

Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 12:54 AM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken I hope you put a glass sight glass back in my E 7 that you have. Nothing but the best!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: