Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 35mm mag sound (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 35mm mag sound
Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2002 01:49 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Help how does one sync a mag track tpo an 8:70 print. Going live this weekend and have only used dts cd's. Can thread dubber but where are sync marks on mag? Please help...thanks

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-14-2002 04:49 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should be some sort of obvious mark at the head of the reel. Most of the reels I've seen have a long white sticker on the backing side, centered on the sync frame. The sync frame is usually marked with an 'X' and a hole punch (though I have seen some where the sync frame is just a single frame of leader or slug spliced at the sync point). Place that 'X' on your playback head. That should do it. After interlocking I used to roll the projector by hand one or two frames just to make sure everything's fine--saves an embarrassing flying start without the sound.

BTW If the reel still has tones and noise on the front end, the sync mark might be quite a ways into the reel.

HTH,

Paul

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-14-2002 05:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there is no synce mark the beep corisponds to frame marked 2 on the smpte leader
Put picture start in the gate and the synce mark (usually a tape with an X on it accross the head of the dubber and press the interlock button
If no sync mark find the beep and count the frames backwards

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-14-2002 05:58 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or if you're really unlucky there's nothing at all, and you have to find the sync by trial and error, and then make your own marks.

What sort of place is this, and what films are you running? Is this a new venue, or just new to this format? Hope all goes well for the opening, can you post some pictures?

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2002 06:27 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have a DTS in your booth? DTS player? DTS reader? What is the film title?

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2002 11:41 AM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I do have DTS but on this film...Micheal Jordon.. We received a 35 mag ..of which I have never used before. The mag does have a mark for beep 2. Where should the x correspond to that mark.

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2002 11:52 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "beep 2" mark on the mag should sync with the '2' frame on the countdown leader of the picture. That is unless large format film editing is done differently than smaller format film.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-15-2002 01:24 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Picture start should be 144 frames (576 perfs) before the 2-pop. (For 4/35, anyway.)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-15-2002 05:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan if you have a syncronizer take an 35mm leader and the number 2 on it should line up over the beep and the frame marked picture start is the sync mark

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2002 06:01 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon....Do I have to program my Show control to the mag...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-15-2002 06:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,
Be sure that your preamps are set up properly(level & EQ), or at very least listen to the mag reel once to be sure that what you have is acceptable before you run any paying shows!!
Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-15-2002 07:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily almost all 6 track large format masters are fairly close to the 185 nwb and I have played that track and it is ded on (sonics did the mastering)
you will probably have to set the showcontrol to the mag input

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2002 04:12 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks gang.....Got 2 good shows and then my dubber froze and ate mag for dinner.... [Eek!] I just talked to DTS....they are saving me [thumbsup] Appreciate all your help............jan

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-18-2002 08:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Find out what went wrong a lot of stuff is still only got mags for it

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-18-2002 09:19 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,

What kind of dubber was that? We ran on Magna-techs with 6k floating hubs at Caesars--don't remember one ever crashing as bad as you describe.

Paul
Back in SoCal next week, interviewing for a bilingual audio engineer job...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: